ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:07 AM   #1
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

First time riding EVER!!

So i know I don't have a true ninjette, but a 500R is still considered a beginner bike so hopefully you all will still be nice to me and my almost-ninjette :P

Anyways this morning I spent an hour and some change running around wildly in a big section of an empty parking lot at our local mall. It was A LOT of fun lol, and this was my first time commanding a motorcycle ever (except for moving mine and my dads around the driveway etc). I actually got pretty comfortable on my bike and practiced low speed maneuvers along with wide radius and shorter radius turns at about 20-30 mph. I also got acquainted with the clutch and can now almost flawlessly take off (not sure if I'd be comfortable at a stop light in traffic though). I slid my toe on the ground once which was a little disconcerting and a little inspiring at the same time. I also slid the back tire a couple times letting off the clutch too quickly while turning, but in the end it turned out great, didnt dump it, lots of fun.

I thought I'd just post this to share my first riding experience, and maybe you guys wanna share yours too? I think if we get a big pool of first time riding stories it'd be a pretty good read and beneficial for new riders and all that.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:16 AM   #2
bluefire1914
ninjette.org member

Name: NinjaLover

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Congratulations! I was actually just reading the thread about your war with your dad and all the "wonderful" advice you received.

My first time on anything with 2 wheels and a motor was in my MSF course a few years ago. I learned on a Buell Blast (500cc), which was a ton of fun. I got to be okay at everything except for the "figure 8" turn. I totally blew that test, but still got my "pass" and was able to get my motorcycle endorsement.

I then bought a 1986 Honda Rebel and kept that for about 2 months. I absolutely hated that bike, it was falling apart and had no power at all. Plus it was ugly as all get out.

I then was able to get a 2006 Ninja 250, and fell in love with it! Then a stupid woman in an Escalade rear-ended me when I was turning into my job's parking lot (thankfully it was relatively low speed and I was wearing all my armor, helmet, etc. and sustained no injuries except a sore shoulder).

After that accident my wife made me sell the bike. That was 3 years ago. Now, we are moving to Austin, TX (which I hear is awesome riding weather pretty much all year), and she is finally warming up to the idea of me riding again (especially since we only have 1 car).

I'm planning on buying soon and hauling it down to TX with our RV. (RV? I know I sound 50, but I'm actually only 31.)

I just can't decide between a cbr250 or the Ninja. But I like this forum a ton more than the cbr one, and the Ninja is a TON sportier-looking than the cbr.

Happy riding!

And please remember to wear your armor. I think if it wouldn't have been for my armored jacket and helmet, I would've gotten really hurt.

bluefire1914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
KawiKid860

Wow this is ironic bluefire, I was just reading your thread about which bike to get! Lol the rebel part made me laugh, I plan taking the msf course once i turn 16, but for now I have to stick to parking lots :P I've yet to get full riding gear, but i do have boots and a mesh jacket with armor in it.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

Welcome. Glad you got some practice in.

My first bike was a ninja 636 I ever rode. Great bike. Though I could feel the underlying power in it. But I have my ninjette now and I love it.
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM   #5
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

boots,jacket..... and helmet XD?
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM   #6
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

In for a penny...in for a pound

May 1967...Sutton Place and 53rd street in Manhattan. My pal Roger just got his new second hand Yahama Big Scrambler. Google it...a beauty. After begging him for about 30 seconds he gave me a 1 minute lecture on how a clutch works and how dangling my feet would make be crash. It was a monster at 300+ pounds. No helmet laws yet so I took off real slow up Sutton Place and could hear him screaming to put my feet up....try as I did...I couldnt find anything to rest them on but I was not stopping for anything. So...I ride up 1 block, nice wide u-turn and come back.
Cussed me roundly for not gettuing my feet up then he found...his pegs were folded up ( old bikes did that)....flip the pegs down for me and sent me round again. Roger, wherever you are, I love you. Bought my first 160 Honda from a drunken welder about 2 weeks later . I can still smell the 2 stroke and hear the ring-ding ding ding ding when I backed off. Big Bear Scrambler.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

My first motorcycle ride was on a 4 stroke 250... An early 70's Honda XL250 single cylinder. It was awesome! It was pure dirtbike, not street legal with no headlight, taillights, and knobby tires. I rode it everywhere, but liked riding on roads better than in the dirt.

I remember it sat high enough that I would have to mount it standing on the 1st step of my parent's porch, until I got the hang of it. It also took about 2,000,000 kicks to start half the time... But it was impossible to stall, and short of hitting a tree (and it did) was unstoppable until it overheated.

My first street legal bike was a 1972 CB450 twin. Electric start (that was a waste, the battery was always dead), crap carbs (the floats always developed pinhole leaks, and the whole thing spontaneously gummed up every 250 miles or so) and old electrics (did you know a CB 350 coil works fine in CB 450, I do) made it a frustrating bike. But 44 horsepower (when both cylinders ran) made it a fast and fun ride. In retrospect, my Ninja 250 would have spanked it hard anywhere but in a straight line, and even then would have kept up... but at the time it was a pure rush to a 15 year old with no license and a need for speed and freedom.

I even modded it, sort of. After being chased by the police and running (hey, this was a long time ago, sorry) I escaped by riding through the woods, and tore the mufflers up going through a stream (cop cars don't go through streams) I replaced the stock exhaust with... ready for it... JC Whitney glass pack motorcycle mufflers. I also installed a big JC Whitney windshield. I helped a lot riding in CT winters.

The next bike I owned after the 450 was the Ninja... Long wait. But, I always have had a soft spot for twins and small bikes.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:20 PM   #8
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

hahaha this is a nice read. The first time I "commanded" a motorcycle was on an MSF course that I took, my bike was an old gen ninja 250 (: i loved it, it was kinda intimidating because I was the only one on a "sport bike" my MSFmates had < 250's motorcycles, it was really fun and I've learned a lot of stuff from there. I really recommend that new riders take the course. I also had my first crash on that MSF class, we were doing the turn and then stop drill (when you're turning and you have to stop.make sure that your motorcycle is upright, because if not...) and yeah I don't know if i had a lowside or something but it was horrible for the ninja, also it's a good thing that I had steel toe boots, because If i were wearing any shoes w/o sufficient protection my feet would be toast. oh btw I passed the course (: my score wasn't that bad (I was actually surprised that I got a high score.) and then after a week or so I got my baby (:

Also I never imagined that I would own a bike. one of my best friends died from a motorcycle accident. But I've always wanted one since I was a kid. So it was kinda of a struggle and a challenge for me. But now I have one (: and I love it.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoak View Post
My first motorcycle ride was on a 4 stroke 250... An early 70's Honda XL250 single cylinder. It was awesome! It was pure dirtbike, not street legal with no headlight, taillights, and knobby tires. I rode it everywhere, but liked riding on roads better than in the dirt.

I remember it sat high enough that I would have to mount it standing on the 1st step of my parent's porch, until I got the hang of it. It also took about 2,000,000 kicks to start half the time... But it was impossible to stall, and short of hitting a tree (and it did) was unstoppable until it overheated.

My first street legal bike was a 1972 CB450 twin. Electric start (that was a waste, the battery was always dead), crap carbs (the floats always developed pinhole leaks, and the whole thing spontaneously gummed up every 250 miles or so) and old electrics (did you know a CB 350 coil works fine in CB 450, I do) made it a frustrating bike. But 44 horsepower (when both cylinders ran) made it a fast and fun ride. In retrospect, my Ninja 250 would have spanked it hard anywhere but in a straight line, and even then would have kept up... but at the time it was a pure rush to a 15 year old with no license and a need for speed and freedom.

I even modded it, sort of. After being chased by the police and running (hey, this was a long time ago, sorry) I escaped by riding through the woods, and tore the mufflers up going through a stream (cop cars don't go through streams) I replaced the stock exhaust with... ready for it... JC Whitney glass pack motorcycle mufflers. I also installed a big JC Whitney windshield. I helped a lot riding in CT winters.

The next bike I owned after the 450 was the Ninja... Long wait. But, I always have had a soft spot for twins and small bikes.
When I was a kid the neighbor had a CB450 always thought it was cool with its orange metal flake paint.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM   #10
KawiKid860

Haha interesting stories! some a lot more spirited than mine :P Anyways I'd also like to add that when I first started out this morning the bike wouldn't move because it was in neutral... realized that, popped it in first and felt dumb. Then I started to let out on the clutch and it kept dying, so i adjusted the clutch lever to its least sensitive setting and it STILL died, so I thought I just really sucked, then I realized the kickstand was down and the bike kills itself if the kickstand is down and you try to start moving...:P felt kind of stupid but hey I'm a noob! There were also a couple times where I didn't let off the throttle shifting up (at least it was very light throttle) so it jumped a little when i engaged the clutch. These are probably common beginner mistakes though :P

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM   #11
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Haha interesting stories! some a lot more spirited than mine :P Anyways I'd also like to add that when I first started out this morning the bike wouldn't move because it was in neutral... realized that, popped it in first and felt dumb. Then I started to let out on the clutch and it kept dying, so i adjusted the clutch lever to its least sensitive setting and it STILL died, so I thought I just really sucked, then I realized the kickstand was down and the bike kills itself if the kickstand is down and you try to start moving...:P felt kind of stupid but hey I'm a noob! There were also a couple times where I didn't let off the throttle shifting up (at least it was very light throttle) so it jumped a little when i engaged the clutch. These are probably common beginner mistakes though :P
Yup very common (: hehehe
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #12
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
So i know I don't have a true ninjette, but a 500R is still considered a beginner bike so hopefully you all will still be nice to me and my almost-ninjette :P

Anyways this morning I spent an hour and some change running around wildly in a big section of an empty parking lot at our local mall. It was A LOT of fun lol, and this was my first time commanding a motorcycle ever (except for moving mine and my dads around the driveway etc). I actually got pretty comfortable on my bike and practiced low speed maneuvers along with wide radius and shorter radius turns at about 20-30 mph. I also got acquainted with the clutch and can now almost flawlessly take off (not sure if I'd be comfortable at a stop light in traffic though). I slid my toe on the ground once which was a little disconcerting and a little inspiring at the same time. I also slid the back tire a couple times letting off the clutch too quickly while turning, but in the end it turned out great, didnt dump it, lots of fun.

I thought I'd just post this to share my first riding experience, and maybe you guys wanna share yours too? I think if we get a big pool of first time riding stories it'd be a pretty good read and beneficial for new riders and all that.
Haha goodjob! I'm 17 and own have been riding my ninja for almost a month...I want to get a zx6r for my birthday in september tho. Good idea? Maybe not, but I love acceleration and ninja's so I want to stick with kawa.
Anyways wehen do you turn 16?
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #13
KawiKid860

I'll be 16 in August, it kind of sucks having to wait so long. I want to get out on my bike and ride it like no other lol :P