Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old September 5th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #1
mbharat
ninjette.org member

Name: Bart

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 08 CBR600 RR

**almost** rode across USA on my 09 Ninja 250

Hello all,

So I moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin from Lafayette, CA. Decided to ride my Ninja 250 all the way! Started out with 9700 miles on my bike (MANY thanks to Mission Motorcycles in SF for doing the 8000 mile service on my bike). Ended with around 12,400 miles on it.

A) This was my first long trip on the ninja so I decided to hit the twisties only for 800 miles and then just super-slab. The route was:
1. Lafayette, CA - Jackpot, Nevada. Did a few local roads till Reno, Nevada.
2. Jackpot, Nevada - Missoula, Montana. This was the most awesome part, took US93N through southern Idaho and through Montana. The ride along the Salmon River was breathtaking.
3. Missoula, Montana - Glendive, Montana
4. Glendive, Montana - Minneapolis, Minnesota
5. Minneapolis, Minnesota - Milwaukee, Wisconsin

B) Some facts:
1. Dist. covered: 2701 miles (approx. 4346.83 kms) A perspective on the distance from the standpoint of India (I was born there ): the Himsagar Express that goes from Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu (southernmost point in India) to Jammu Tawi, Jammu&Kashmir (northernmost state in India) covers a distance of 3715 kms (src.: wikipedia). So, I traversed the length of India in: 5 days (8 - 12 hrs riding/day).
2. Gas: $160. Assuming an average gas price of $2.65/gallon, I got around 44.5 miles/gallon.
3. The only mods. to my bike were a Corbin seat, tank bag and my backpack as a topcase courtesy of a bungee cord. I **did** have a couple of saddlebags but I shipped them to Wisconsin in Jackpot, Nevada because they were unnecessary. TRAVEL LIGHT!
4. I lubed the chain every 700 miles, checked oil and chain slack. Nothing went wrong with the bike.

C) Any Wisconsin ninjette riders want to meet up before we get hit by the winter ? PM me if you want to meet up!

Bart
mbharat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

WOW -- Iron Butt award coming your way! LOL

Did you take any pics along the ride?

Old September 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #3
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

that's a nice ride now you need to visit the east coast

Old September 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #4
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

nice ride man. Did you have some type of mod to your seat?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Holy cow, definitely an IB rider there. Thanks for sharing!

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
now you need to visit the east coast

Old September 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): RED 250R

Damn, already over 12k for an 09, averaging over 10k a month!!!!!!!

High Roller indeed.
Kawasabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #7
mbharat
ninjette.org member

1. Pics - Like it says in my original post, I took very few. Mostly because we were hightailing across the country enjoying the ride. Anyway, here are some from the public facebook link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=5b5e5068ca

Only one of the pics. was taken by my friend who was riding on a VX-800 with me (till Missoula, Montana). The other three pics. are from wikipedia. They are pics. of places we passed through during our ride: Craters of the Moon, Idaho; Salmon River, Idaho-Montana and Twin Falls, Idaho (note: we did not visit them in that order).

2. Custom seat - Like it says in my original post, I have a Corbin seat. Worth the $285.

Bart

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Bart, Nice job!
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #9
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

And wasn't there a thread recently debating if a Ninjette could even go on the highway? Thanks for helping us prove 'em wrong
I'm sure it felt very satisfying.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #10
mbharat
ninjette.org member

Hey,

Yeah it was very satisfying to see the BMW riders stare at my ninja . J/k. I was like a BMW rider in the first day of the trip, carrying EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink (j/k about the sink again). Here are more pics. courtesy of my fellow VX-800 rider:

http://california.eecs.berkeley.edu/...ob09/Index.htm

Zoom in on the picture in the gas station in Nevada. Notice my topcase, tankbag and two saddle bags. Also, my saddle bags were tourmaster cloth. They are over the stock exhaust but had enough clearance. So, NO they did NOT melt (rode a total of 11 hours with them the first day, from Lafayette, CA to Jackpot, NV).

But then, I lightened up in Jackpot: only a tankbag and topcase . In the words of my fellow VX-800 rider: "I went from being a motorhome to a motorcycle ". I shipped my saddle bags to Milwaukee from Jackpot, they arrived safe and sound.

Bart

Old September 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #11
headshrink

All this effort and you still have that fender hangin' off the back end? Sorry Bart, your bike is still a virgin

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #12
Scipyo
/////////////////////////

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2008

how was your hand not causing you to scream in pain? I can't ride on the freeway for more than 2 hours without cursing in my helmet for a while. Please tell me your secret!
Posted via Mobile Device
Scipyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #13
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Wow cool beans! I just moved from Cali, but drove the two trips out to Iowa You're only a couple hours north of me so huzzah to that.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #14
mbharat
ninjette.org member

Hey,

I stretch for like 20 minutes a day in the morning (been doing that for the past 18 years). I am thinking thats a major reason why I don't feel pain while riding.

Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipyo View Post
how was your hand not causing you to scream in pain? I can't ride on the freeway for more than 2 hours without cursing in my helmet for a while. Please tell me your secret!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #15
headshrink

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I can tell you the secret to the helmet part.... Arai. They are the only helmet manufacturer, to my knowledge, that makes their helmets to fit specific shapes of heads. I can wear mine all day without a hint of pain or uncomfortability.

I just got a 'cramp buster' to hold me over until I get something a little better. I haven't had much chance to try it out because I don't have a need very often. I am thinking about a Throttle Meister in the future. They look really nice, but they aren't cheap.
http://www.throttlemeister.com/

Old September 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #16
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

I live about 1.5-2 hrs from you...Out of curiosity, why would u leave Cali, and move to the coldest place on EARTH??...j/k
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #17
mbharat
ninjette.org member

Hey Dan,

I got a better job in Wisconsin. Yeah, i get that question a lot from motorcyclists here in Wisconsin since my license plate is still from California .

I know about Wisconsin winters (been here during last winter and walked around when it was around 30 degrees celsius BELOW zero WITHOUT windchill).

I am sure though that I will get upset cause I can't write the bike during winters. I am trying to get my brain twisted around that fact.

Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
I live about 1.5-2 hrs from you...Out of curiosity, why would u leave Cali, and move to the coldest place on EARTH??...j/k

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #18
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
i know that feeling...just got back from the coast....3 hour ride....my wrist was killing me...my hand was tingling...my elbow, back, and ankles were super sore...and i lift 5-6 days a week so it's not from being out of shape...and i don't have a death grip...i open my hand and just press my palm on the throttle...i could handle everything else if not for my hand cramping up and falling asleep...long rides are great, but i must figure out a way to make it more comfortable...
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #19
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
i know that feeling...just got back from the coast....3 hour ride....my wrist was killing me...my hand was tingling...my elbow, back, and ankles were super sore...and i lift 5-6 days a week so it's not from being out of shape...and i don't have a death grip...i open my hand and just press my palm on the throttle...i could handle everything else if not for my hand cramping up and falling asleep...long rides are great, but i must figure out a way to make it more comfortable...
crampbuster
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #20
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
holy ****, u lift 5-6 days a week? when do you let your muscles recover?
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #21
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i do a 5 day split rest a day and start over so each muscle group only gets hit once a week....and i sleep 8-10 hours a night
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Nice job!

At the end of August I did a similar trip (2600 miles in 13 days). Not quite up to the 8-10 hours/day you did, but then I was on vacation, not trying to get somewhere.

My answer for cramps in the throttle hand was to use several different positions, plus shake the hand out a few times an hour.

- Hold throttle with thumb and first two fingers.
- Hold throttle with ring and pinky.
- Hold throttle with palm pressure, with thumb and fingers relaxed (but ready to grab the throttle for safety).

All worked just fine. Didn't feel the need for a crampbuster or anything like that.

+1 on the well-fitting helmet. Arai makes a variety of shapes but they're very, very expensive. I found that the Joe Rocket RKT101 fits my noggin perfectly and it only cost me $120.

I found that stopping regularly (once an hour or so for me) was absolutely essential to maintaining comfort over the long haul. The stops need not be long, just enough to get off the bike and walk around for a minute or two.

Hitting the Interstates will get you from Point A to Point B in minimum time, but I find them boring and tiring. I opted to get off the highway and take state and local roads whenever practical... it added a bit of time to the trip but was well worth it because I was much less fatigued and much more entertained at the end of each day.

More info about how to stay comfortable and refreshed on long rides is in the thread about my trip:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...9&postcount=19
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 02:26 AM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I rode all day every day in my GA-to-CA trip... averaged over 16hrs a day. Well, with stretching, gassing, warming, etc stops (it was in December). With a full tank bag and backpack, I traveled much lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasabi View Post
Damn, already over 12k for an 09, averaging over 10k a month!!!!!!!

High Roller indeed.
Over 1K a month.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote