ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old April 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

04-07-2010 Wandering Western Virginia

Due to the need for 36-48hrs of continuous good weather for my experiments at work and practically guaranteed thunder/rainstorm on 4/8, I had the 7th off and decided to ride the day away in central-western VA.

Turned out to be a phenomenal day out. Saw a lot of neat houses, wish I'd broken out the camera a little earlier than I did.

This guy's neighbor probably lost a third the property value when that red/brown place went up....

Started on some familiar back roads, one of which took me by Dragon's Tooth, an excellent local hike (2.3mi one way, ~1,500ft elevation change) I took my Dad to when he visited last month. Realized I could see the summit from the road and snapped a pic. Zoom's not great on my little Sony DSC-T100 but it's there, I even circled it.

Further on just SW of New Castle, VA is a section of SR42 that I hit everytime I'm nearby. It's short, but intense. No pics because I was too busy enjoying the curves. Keep reminding myself to set up a camera/video mount and not getting around to it.

Discovered a little later that same road, SR311 as one of my new favorite roads: twisty, quick, scenic and not terribly busy. Had to remind myself a couple times I don't have knee pucks, so putting a knee down would be a bad idea.

Had a bit of a morbid laugh at the historic marker when 311 crossed into WV. Ah lazy hunters, what would this nation be like without you?

Just before hopping on I-64 for a short stretch to the next fun spot, I saw this bridge off to the side of SR159 and had to stop

Post I-64 I stopped in Clifton Forge, a good friend's hometown for a Brownie Earthquake from the local Dairy Queen. Several hundred calories and 15min of very very confusing in-town navigation later (no GPS yet, on the 'to get' list) I found the next road I was looking for, SR606. Wished I'd packed my fishing gear for the Nth time when I noticed this little stream.

The road itself turned out to be a poorly-maintained gravelly mess, but was offset by another great view and a neat pagoda-style home at the top, neither of which afforded me an opportunity for a good shot. On the way back down past the switchback series (every turn was gouged from carswith not enough clearance for the slope) I found this

Wrapped up the day with a run through the Blue Ridge Parkway around Roanoke.

Noticed Purgatory mountain (far left) had a fire going, never did figure out what was going on.

Made the dubious decision to do some more in-motion shots too. Results weren't great, of which this was the best (pardon the looming finger)

At the top of the Roanoke scenic loop off the BRP I snagged a shot of my goofy self in my new gear. What you don't see is the other, mirrored face shield for the helmet that was coated in bugs so thick I switched it out for the clear.

Here's the smarter two of the turkey trio that might've ended my day if I'd been going a bit faster.

A solid sunset finished the day on a high note

Just after sunset a trucker blinked his lights at me. Thought he was telling me 'cops ahead, slow down' which was weird as I was toeing the speed limit behind a pickup at the time. Realized a few minutes later my low beam had burned out sometime during the day and I was without a headlight. Highbeamed the Tacoma I was behind for the last 15miles of the trip. [If you're out there, sorry dude. I chose to use the 'wrong light' instead of 'no light' (or pulling over and trying to switch them in the dark)].

Didn't have any real near-misses all day (asphalt, people, cars, animals or cops), found some roads I will definitely be going back to, spent less than $20 on an all-day ride (food and gas) and had one helluva Hump-day. Missed riding with ya'll Kim & Nick.

Old April 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great pics. That is some great scenery!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #3
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Missed riding with ya'll Kim & Nick.
Looks like a great day - but it's not very nice to rub it in to the pregnant woman who has to work 1-7 now

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Momaru

*cough* yeah, sorry 'bout that... I know the riding bug's got you bad by now. At least you won't miss the whole riding season due to your young'n in the oven.
And it's not my fault the roof fell in at your workplace

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Dude, you are not allowed to show other motorcycle roads other than the Blue Ridge, Deal's and that smoggy Cali stuff. West Virginia is closed to everyone who doesn't know about it. It is our own little secret!

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Momaru

Then consider the secret kept... other than you letting it out of the bag just now
Every pic was taken in VA, save the historical marker which I don't think will inspire people to visit for fear of a stray skeletal rib-bone puncturing their tires.
If that's not enough to discourage a visitor to WV, maybe the fact that the small part of the route that was in WV was so coated in gravel (paved road) that I was taking every turn at less than the 'recommended' speed (15-20mph for most) will. Made me actually miss VDOT for the first time in 5 years.

Old April 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #8
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

I LOVE West Virginia. I got my ZX6 there, and I was absolutely astonished by the scenery, roads, and nice people. The twisties are fantastic, as long as there isn't any gravel on the roads (which seems to be the case right now for some reason). In the next couple of weeks, I plan on taking a similar excursion in the northern section of WV. I hope to make my way to central WV before summer gets in full swing.

GREAT PICS! Glad the trip turned out to be safe and fun.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #9
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Awesome pics and ride report.
Have not had the pleasure of exploring that part of the country yet. Once drove a CRX home from Kentucky though. lol
Thanks for the 3am adventure.
I could definitely see hitting up that creek for a feesh. Great little area for a shorty 3wt.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #10
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

How beautiful!
Definitely a great route to just sit up and pretend you are on
a 50cc scooter!
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #11
Momaru

Yeah, I usually made 4-5 passes through the twisty sections. First couple slow & steady learning the route and enjoying the scenery. Successive ones enjoying the curves @ speed. Not sure I'd want to ride a scooter for a consecutive 235mi+ though.

Old April 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #12
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Excellent ride report......nice pics and you definately need a camera mount on your ride...
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #13
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

This looks great, thanks for sharing!
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #14
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Your so lucky!!!!! I want to go!

Old April 14th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #15
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Awesome.... NO ONE here is Jealous....
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2010, 08:58 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

First place I ever rode my '08 250 before riding it home the next day. Beautiful roads but pretty scarry when you've never ridden the streets on amotorcycle before! The MSF prepared me well enough though.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote