ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Lowering the front - dangerous?

Seeing the 250R beside super sports, I noticed how considerably higher are handlebars are. So I am contemplating lowering the front of the bike. What kind of issues/dangers am I putting myself into by doing that... aside from possibly having the wheel cover hit the front cowling, and reduced ground clearance?
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Two things come to mind for me, there's certainly more.
1) You'll need to bag some clipons if you want to go more than just a tiny bit down; the handlebar mounts will stop the forks from coming up much further than they are stock.
2) The handling of the bike will change. I seem to remember it'll fall into turns even faster, but be a bit twitchier in straight lines.

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #3
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

PM Zartan or Kkim, they both lowered their front. Zartan for height issues, Kkim for handling purposes.

Heres the link, Zartan's DIY: Lowering the front

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Two things come to mind for me, there's certainly more.
1) You'll need to bag some clipons if you want to go more than just a tiny bit down; the handlebar mounts will stop the forks from coming up much further than they are stock.
2) The handling of the bike will change. I seem to remember it'll fall into turns even faster, but be a bit twitchier in straight lines.
1) Yes, I will be using clipons.
2) Because supersports have lower handlebars, do they fall into turns faster than our bikes?

Old March 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #5
kkim

The net result of lowering only the front end will be quicker feeling steering. I lowered mine 1" over what it was stock and have no interference problems with the fender hitting the under nose cowling.

You should be doing this mod for a quicker turning bike, not for how it looks next to a SS bike.

The bike will steer quicker in turns... almost effortlessly. I expected more straight line instability or twitchyness, but never encountered it after lowering the front.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
You should be doing this mod for a quicker turning bike, not for how it looks next to a SS bike.
Thanks. So again, the question is, because SS bikes do have lower handlebars and a steeper rake, by me doing this, am I closer to SS performance?

Old March 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00br1d3r View Post
Thanks. So again, the question is, because SS bikes do have lower handlebars and a steeper rake, by me doing this, am I closer to SS performance?
a smidgen closer.

the suspension geometry and ergonomics for the 250R were designed for a "standard" riding position... very upright with handlebars high and footpegs forward for a comfortable, easy to ride position. The SS bikes usually have a steeper head angle for quicker turning and the seat/bar/peg relation is much more designed to put the rider forward, over the front wheel and raising the pegs, for maximum cornering ground clearance.

By lowering the forks you are quickening the steering. By adding the clipons, you move the rider forward... closer to the front of the bike. So yeah, I guess it makes it closer to a SS designed bike.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote