ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 24th, 2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Darkening
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Xan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Help with hoses after carb cleanup

Hello to all the community! Hope you're doing fine wherever you are.

My ninja was some months without use at all so after I tried to start it, it would crank but no joy. I removed the carbs, cleaned the gunk that formed, everything pristine.

I put the carb in the bike, put new fuel in the tank after draining the old, crank and... nothing. And nothing, nothing. I started smelling fuel so I thought I flooded it but boy, it was more like a tsunami. I quickly removed the main hose, drained a lot of fuel (was even in airbox) and now I'm thinking what went wrong.

Seeing this picture , looks like I have the vacuum hoses inverted. I was following the service manual and they look different. In the picture, the 3 way hose goes to the right carb and I guess the other carb gets connected directly to the fuel tank. But according to this, the 3 way hose goes into the left carb!

So, here comes the question. What do I do? Do I need to get the carbs out again and drain fuel from everywhere? Just switch the hoses, crank again and all good? Does the hoses position it even matter? Maybe the floats are not closing and the hoses are unrelated? Please, help!
Darkening is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2018, 05:06 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
There many ports, you may have some mixed up. Functionally, I don’t think switching vacuum ports would change anything. You may just have leaking float bowl valves that aren’t shutting off fuel.

1. Left carb vacuum port
2. Right carb vacuum port
3. Fuel inlet port (actually goes to both carbs if you follow tube)
4. Bowl vents

Try this picture

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2018, 10:19 PM   #3
Darkening
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
There many ports, you may have some mixed up. Functionally, I don’t think switching vacuum ports would change anything. You may just have leaking float bowl valves that aren’t shutting off fuel.

1. Left carb vacuum port
2. Right carb vacuum port
3. Fuel inlet port (actually goes to both carbs if you follow tube)
4. Bowl vents

Try this picture

Great! I'll try this. Curious, I think I had this setup before disassembly. Why does the manual have it reversed? Also, the hose to the gas tank is too short this way. Those damned circlips too. Any good thing to replace them?

Problem is, now I have to remove carbs again to check the floats. You win some, lose some I guess.

Many thanks for the picture and help. I'll update on my progress.

Old February 25th, 2018, 10:41 PM   #4
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
fuel filter

also check your tiny fuel filter located in fuel line inlet fitting. i removed it and put a regular fuel filter in. to me it's way to small and could easily clog up.

Old February 26th, 2018, 07:35 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkening View Post
My ninja was some months without use at all so after I tried to start it, it would crank but no joy. I removed the carbs, cleaned the gunk that formed, everything pristine.

I put the carb in the bike, put new fuel in the tank after draining the old, crank and... nothing. And nothing, nothing. I started smelling fuel so I thought I flooded it but boy, it was more like a tsunami. I quickly removed the main hose, drained a lot of fuel (was even in airbox) and now I'm thinking what went wrong.
If switching the hoses to the positions in the photos doesn't work, I would say there could be something assembled incorrectly in the carbs.

A float may be hanging-up, or a float valve may not be seating.

Also check your oil and oil level for signs of gas. It it was overflowing that much, it may have dumped a significant amount in the oil.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2018, 08:01 AM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkening View Post
Great! I'll try this. Curious, I think I had this setup before disassembly. Why does the manual have it reversed? Also, the hose to the gas tank is too short this way. Those damned circlips too. Any good thing to replace them?
I replace all those wire clips with wider finger-operated clips like these: Briggs Stratton clamp

Be sure to get correct diameter.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2018, 08:56 AM   #7
Darkening
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If switching the hoses to the positions in the photos doesn't work, I would say there could be something assembled incorrectly in the carbs.

A float may be hanging-up, or a float valve may not be seating.

Also check your oil and oil level for signs of gas. It it was overflowing that much, it may have dumped a significant amount in the oil.
I can't put in words how much gas was in there. Engine wouldn't even turn anymore. That's when I panicked and removed gas tank hose inmediately. I cranked after draining and it turns, hope everything works after all this.

I'll change the oil just to be safe, didn't see anything strange at first glance but it's cheap to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I replace all those wire clips with wider finger-operated clips like these: Briggs Stratton clamp

Be sure to get correct diameter.
Excellent! I'll see if I can get those! Many thanks!