ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old August 9th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
TrackTime at The Ridge, August 2017

So I went back to the Ridge once again, with J once again.

I took a lot of time with J, watching her ride and trying to improve on some fundamentals. Her big two that we worked on most of the day are turn point and throttle control.

J prefers lefts to rights and has a habit of entering a lot of turns mid track, and is especially prone to do this on right handers. I'm not sure if it's the dislike of rights pushing her into the track or if her being so far inside is what makes her dislike rights.

I would go out, follow her for 2 laps, then pass and try to lead her down a better route and demonstrate the better method. It's definitely a challenge to try and guess her pace as I don't think looking behind me seems very safe/wise and I lack mirrors. We're discussing some strategies for that if she wants me to ride with her again; but she did improve markedly as the day went on.

Unfortunately I caught her adding throttle and lean in turn 6 which scared the bejeezus out of me and made me do a pretty strongly worded warning and a hard focus on steady throttle roll on (and no steering during!) -- channeled my inner @Misti -- and while that got better she started drifting back towards mid track. I think fixing that will be a slow process, I'm trying different approach strategies to see what 'clicks' for her to ingrain it and overcome the habit (e.g. reference points vs turn point selection vs 2/3-step).

Finally I took the last session for myself and was working on my hip rotation and trying to make the adjustment I got from Lyle at CSS start to feel more natural. I think I'll want to run back by my saddle guy, the shape we made mine into isn't ideal as my body position has evolved and so I need it to be tweaked and shaved a bit.

Anyway! I've got pictures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CQ2T1555.jpg (76.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CQ2T2408.jpg (104.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CQ2T3388.jpg (77.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CQ2T5174.jpg (101.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CQ2T2584.jpg (97.1 KB, 6 views)

Old November 19th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #3
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

You could perhaps ask her what her vision is doing in some of the corners where she is entering mid track, i.e., how much of the track is she seeing- the entire track from one side to the other or just part of it? (Wide view/target fixation?)

Also, when she is looking into the turn.

Now you know what it feels like for us when we see students (ahem) adding lean angle and throttle at the same time!

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 20th, 2017, 10:03 PM   #4
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
You could perhaps ask her what her vision is doing in some of the corners where she is entering mid track, i.e., how much of the track is she seeing- the entire track from one side to the other or just part of it? (Wide view/target fixation?)

Also, when she is looking into the turn.

Now you know what it feels like for us when we see students (ahem) adding lean angle and throttle at the same time!

The looking I know she does late -- I told her during the day but I brought it up again when we got the photos -- I'm trailing her in all these shots and frequently you'll see I'm looking in and she isn't yet. Definitely a good learning experience in that I know I'm a good teacher (yay for teacher reviews), but teaching a physical activity is different, even if the lessons are all mental.