ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 5th, 2018, 08:00 AM   #1
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Naked 250 does the ton

I have made good progress in getting my $400 dollar 2006 ninja on the road. I completely striped everything off the bike to make it into a bluecollorbobbers.

Then many folks here warned me about air box removal. Plus the guys at Bluecollorbobbers suggested I run the bike for a while to make sure all systems are a go.

Advice taken.

I put a Shinko 712 120/80-16 on the front. The rear tire is almost new, but the date code is 5 years old. It looks good with no cracks.

This past weekend I rang the bike out after putting 50 miles on the new front tire.

I am 6'2 and weigh 190 pounds in street clothes. At 14,000 rpms the speedo was just a little over 100 mph indicated. I was not in a full tuck. I have been surprised about well this little thing pulls. A big fat front tire, I was probably 215 pounds with leather and boots, no fairings, I am happy the way the bike pulls, no hiccups at any point in the rpm range.

Right now my only problem is the smell of gasoline. I can't find any leaks. It is strong at the gas cap. I had the thing apart, rubber seal looks perfect, no corrosion on the 4 springs, but still a strong smell. I guess it is still not sealing right.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old March 5th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Whooohooo, glad to hear another bike is back on the road!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2018, 11:29 AM   #3
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
I have made good progress in getting my $400 dollar 2006 ninja on the road. I completely striped everything off the bike to make it into a bluecollorbobbers.

Then many folks here warned me about air box removal. Plus the guys at Bluecollorbobbers suggested I run the bike for a while to make sure all systems are a go.

Advice taken.

I put a Shinko 712 120/80-16 on the front. The rear tire is almost new, but the date code is 5 years old. It looks good with no cracks.

This past weekend I rang the bike out after putting 50 miles on the new front tire.

I am 6'2 and weigh 190 pounds in street clothes. At 14,000 rpms the speedo was just a little over 100 mph indicated. I was not in a full tuck. I have been surprised about well this little thing pulls. A big fat front tire, I was probably 215 pounds with leather and boots, no fairings, I am happy the way the bike pulls, no hiccups at any point in the rpm range.

Right now my only problem is the smell of gasoline. I can't find any leaks. It is strong at the gas cap. I had the thing apart, rubber seal looks perfect, no corrosion on the 4 springs, but still a strong smell. I guess it is still not sealing right.
they is several how to’s on gas cap maintenance. just put a slingshot cap and your all done.

Old March 5th, 2018, 11:55 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
A GPS receiver may not have given you the same number. It's pretty typical for a stock 250 speedo to be off 5-10 mph up around 100 like that. I suspect my naked 250 would top out a little under a true 100. With the fairings, it would probably have done an honest 100 and maybe a couple more.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 5th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #5
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Congrats... Hope you can get the fuel under control

Old March 5th, 2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

I decided to take the cap apart.

Maybe the little red rubber check valves had small pieces of gray corrosion.
The cap had had water in it and the striker was stuck when I got it. Fuel tank would not open. Got it open and I WD40ed everything. Then a blast of competed air. Not clean enough.

I broke the cap down into all its little pieces. Man the guy that designed that cap must have worked on the project for getting a man on the moon. I did lose a little spring and ballbearing from one side of the lock cap. The stuff just took off. Found one side, but I gave up on the other. Still works though.

Soaked the parts in vinger and scrubbed everything really good. Hot water rinse and compressed air. Little gray sand like particles came out of one half of the check valve. Hopefully the smell was coming back up through the non-working check valve.

I did not ride today so tomorrow I will take her for a run.

Old March 5th, 2018, 07:51 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Here's gas cap vent mod: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...29&postcount=2
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2018, 10:13 PM   #8
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the link. I wish I would have seen that before I took it apart.
I let the key hole cover flip and the springs and ballbearing went flying. I found everything except one spring. Still seems to work.
Thanks again.

Old March 6th, 2018, 03:28 PM   #9
DirtyPelican
ninjette.org member

Name: Tiago

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Triumph Speed Triple

What are the odds, youre pretty close to me in NJ as well as building the same bike! Check out my build and reach out. You might know a thing or two that I dont and visa versa

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=298422

Old March 6th, 2018, 07:41 PM   #10
Alchemist
Crash Test Dummy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): none (at the moment)

I'll be curious to see how your builds go. I just picked up a salvaged 2003 and am looking at doing something similar to the KT600.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2018, 08:10 AM   #11
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Hello Dirty P,
I am in Florida for the nasty New Jersey winter. Looks like I am missing stinking Nor'easter. Only getting to 70F here today and tomorrow it is going to be freezing, something like 62F

I looked at you build link. I got lucky. My bike sat in a shed for 5-6 years. It was clean, only needing a new front tire and carb cleaning to do the ton.

I am riding the bike naked now, I may wait until I get back to my shop in Brick NJ before I start cutting the frame. It sure looks like you don't need much in the way of tools to do the Bluecollorbobbers build. I may want to weld or braze the frame instead of the epoxy.

Maybe we can ride together in the spring.

Old March 7th, 2018, 08:20 AM   #12
DirtyPelican
ninjette.org member

Name: Tiago

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
Hello Dirty P,
I am in Florida for the nasty New Jersey winter. Looks like I am missing stinking Nor'easter. Only getting to 70F here today and tomorrow it is going to be freezing, something like 62F

I looked at you build link. I got lucky. My bike sat in a shed for 5-6 years. It was clean, only needing a new front tire and carb cleaning to do the ton.

I am riding the bike naked now, I may wait until I get back to my shop in Brick NJ before I start cutting the frame. It sure looks like you don't need much in the way of tools to do the Bluecollorbobbers build. I may want to weld or braze the frame instead of the epoxy.

Maybe we can ride together in the spring.
sounds like **** weather for sure. So far nothing but rain here in my area so fingers crossed. As for the build I started with the kit and slowly started doing my own thing. Keeping the fairings but deleting the coolant res,battery relocate, clip ons, getting rid of the gauges for a small speedo only, airbox delete and with that jetting which I've never done. We can get def together this spring sumner. If you have a shop I'd love to check it out or even just shoot the breeze.

Oh and as for the epoxy issue. Welding isn't needed since there is a huge bolt that ends up going thru both the frame and metal rod you insert it so it isn't going anywhere. I thought the same too until that step and then I didn't see a means to worry. But if you have the means to weld then go for it. I didnt.