ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 18th, 2018, 08:08 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Chain popping off?

Has anyone had an issue with this?

Years ago my chain popped off when I was riding and making a hard left uphill turn. It was quite loose at the time, and it was my fault for not minding my chain tension maintenance.

Now that I've rebuilt the bike and am adding up the miles again -- it's a slight concern in the back of my mind.

The chain is tensioned, clean, lubed, and I don't think it will ever happen again ------ yet it's still a little unsettling to think about.

Has anyone else had a chain pop off in the past? I've toyed with the idea of making a chain guide so it never happens again but I need some feedback.

Did my chain pop off because it was way too loose... or is it something that happens on these bikes?

Old March 18th, 2018, 08:24 PM   #2
TrickyTriggs
ninjette.org member

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 1995 RF900R, 1996 GS500E

That sounds very dangerous since the chain can get caught and lock up your engine or even you bike. I'd say a lot of times, the reason they come off could be that you don't torque your bolts correctly. I would look at you manual.
TrickyTriggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2018, 06:46 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I've never had one come off. I think if you keep it properly adjusted and maintained, you have nothing to worry about.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 19th, 2018, 06:56 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I've never had one come off. I think if you keep it properly adjusted and maintained, you have nothing to worry about.
Me neither.

Too much slack, seized link, worn sprockets, misaligned wheel, and worn chain could all do it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2018, 07:03 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
TC,

Having been there, done that... mine broke at 145mph on the back straight at the track. Pretty scary stuff to say the least.

Chains + momentum + 375lbs + rider is not something to leave to chance. A well installed, adjusted and maintained chain should give you little worry. Pay attention to your bike, it will talk to you before things go wrong in the chain/sprocket area.

Assuming you don't have a mechanical failure (like mine above)... If you are in tune with your bike, you should notice the subtle differences before they become major issues. At this point, you know your bike well and also know when things don't feel right.

For example;

1. The clack of the chain hitting the bottom of the swingarm
2. The initial crack of the throttle is more jerky than normal as the slack is snapped back up
3. The patterned sounds as the chain moves around the sprockets or go away after you reach pace
4. The "pops" of teeth snapping off the sprocket
5. Any non-normal vibrations felt in the rearsets, especially patterned or go away after you reach pace

bla bla bla....

I have made it part of my pre-ride checklist, check chain slack and have a peek at the master link. Set your mind at ease about chains BEFORE the wheels turn.

You have seen some of my pics, busted chains, toothless sprockets ect... Take care of your drive train and it will take care of you.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 19th, 2018, 11:03 AM   #6
ninjala
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

It never happened.

You should check the tension of the chain every 1000 miles. Adjust the chain if necessary.
ninjala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2018, 09:54 PM   #7
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Yeah after making this post I realize the obvious.

I was negligent on chain maintenance and that's why the chain popped off.

Lesson learned, no need to fabricate a chain guard.

Thanks guys!