ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 29th, 2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Jpc647
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250 , 2005 SV650, 2003SV1000

New To Me 2007 Ninja 250

Hey Guys, I recently picked up a 2007 Ninja 250 for my girlfriend to learn to ride on.

It doesn't run very well. It seems down on power. It doesn't spit or sputter at all, but it's slow to accelerate, even in nuetral it revs slow. Like probably takes 3 seconds to rev to 10k rpms, and then comes down slow. If your up past 7-8k rpms, and you pull the clutch in, if it gets down to like 2k rpms it would die.

I took the fuel filter out, and it was crushed and bent. I ended up getting a replacement one (Briggs & Stratton Fuel Filter, 5098K
SKU # 441374299). The bike doesn't seem to die and bog out if you pull in the clutch, but it's still really down on power. Like it tops out at 60/65 (WOT) and if you go up a hill it feels like it's losing power. The bike slows down to about 55mph.

I figure next, I'll take the carbs off and spray all through them. How far do they have to be disassembled? I talked to the previous owner, it sat for 2 years before the guy I bought it from had it. He had he put conditioner in it, and the tanks looks perfect on the inside.

Is there a carb rebuild tutorial? I assume there's a generic rebuild kit I can buy with all the gaskets, etc? I read something on some page about an airbox mod, to make the carb removal much quicker, but I can't seem to find it again. Can anyone point me in the direction of that?
Jpc647 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2018, 12:01 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome! Search the threads, there are a lot of helpful posts here.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Jpc647
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Welcome! Search the threads, there are a lot of helpful posts here.

A lot of them seem to be missing photo's. Is there some setting I have to change, or is there a post limit I need to hit before photo's appear?

Old July 29th, 2018, 05:21 PM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
There's a weird thing if the photo is hosted on an outside web site and something changes at that site. I don't think there's a good way to "bring them back" short of updating the original hosting site permissions or whatever. It's not you.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2018, 06:11 PM   #5
Aerofoxxy
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 naked ex250 (bent frame; check your MOTOR MOUNTS), 1988 Ninjette black

Caligurrl's is right, and I know how frustrating the internet can be (there's so much info, but where do you find it? Oh sweet ppl doing cool stuff, oh wait it's from ten years ago: archived/dead links); but here's a little piece on a modified air box..I find the rear fender to be my window of choice (which is mentioned on the video below as well).

https://youtu.be/s86bimD4ft0
Aerofoxxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2018, 08:15 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Here's some basic carb info to get you started - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

To get it to run right, you will need to do everything exactly correct. The carbs will need to be spotless internally, and adjusted properly.

If you don't want to tackle it yourself, search "ducatiman" here. He's the go-to carb guy that can do it all.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2018, 07:43 AM   #7
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

what jkv45 said.

if you want the carbs reset to original by somebody who truly knows how to do that, go with Gordon (ducatiman). when you're dealing with carbs that have an unknown history and weird problems it would probably be good to have them professionally refurbished.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2018, 08:02 AM   #8
Jpc647
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerofoxxy View Post
Caligurrl's is right, and I know how frustrating the internet can be (there's so much info, but where do you find it? Oh sweet ppl doing cool stuff, oh wait it's from ten years ago: archived/dead links); but here's a little piece on a modified air box..I find the rear fender to be my window of choice (which is mentioned on the video below as well).

https://youtu.be/s86bimD4ft0
That's exactly what I've found, everything seems to be old. Thanks for the link. I was able to get the airbox out last night, and I'll cut it down today, and then remove the top of the carbs. I'm hoping to see some gummy/gelatinous mess in there, like I used to see on my Cutlass 442 if it sat too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Here's some basic carb info to get you started - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

To get it to run right, you will need to do everything exactly correct. The carbs will need to be spotless internally, and adjusted properly.

If you don't want to tackle it yourself, search "ducatiman" here. He's the go-to carb guy that can do it all.
Thanks for that link. That seems to be like the gospel how to around here. I'm not too intimidated by the carb, I've rebuilt Quadrejet and Edelbrock carbs before for cars, but just wanted a sort of reference just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
what jkv45 said.

if you want the carbs reset to original by somebody who truly knows how to do that, go with Gordon (ducatiman). when you're dealing with carbs that have an unknown history and weird problems it would probably be good to have them professionally refurbished.
100% agreed. But I Figure removing the black tops caps, and cleaning them out if probably worth a shot, for a bike with only 8500miles, and say for a couple of years until recently.

Old July 30th, 2018, 10:26 AM   #9
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpc647 View Post

100% agreed. But I Figure removing the black tops caps, and cleaning them out if probably worth a shot, for a bike with only 8500miles, and say for a couple of years until recently.
i dont think pulling the black caps is going to do anything to help you, that is where the vacuum diagrams are, and the needle, but your jets and other passages need to be cleaned as well.
I am in the same boat as you, and i've tried to half-ass it when i was younger and it just doesn't work. you have to go all the way, as they say. haha
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #10
Jpc647
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gantt View Post
i dont think pulling the black caps is going to do anything to help you, that is where the vacuum diagrams are, and the needle, but your jets and other passages need to be cleaned as well.
I am in the same boat as you, and i've tried to half-ass it when i was younger and it just doesn't work. you have to go all the way, as they say. haha
Agreed. Most video's I've seen, when you take off the caps, there's a lot of junk in there. I'm hoping if mine is junked up, a little, then at least I can be pretty certain I'm heading in the right direction.