ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1
ZX-Dominance
ninjette.org newbie

Name: BC

Motorcycle(s): 99 250, 07 ZX6R, 06 KX250F

Clutch issue

Hi guys, I'll try to detail this as completely and concisely as possible.

Short and sweet:

my bike is acting like the plates arent getting friction, although it ran through the gears fine shortly before an oil change/clutch swap. I swapped clutches because the pulley arm was pulling the clutch at a very early point. Turns out that the inner lifter arms have varying lengths. I have since tried both clutches, and every combination of plates/lifter arms, etc

All plates are within spec and are installed in the correct direction, springs are at correct size and torqued correctly.

The inner basket turns the counter shaft sprocket when turned by hand.

The outer basket of the clutch only moves slightly each direction before turning the motor.

The engine runs fine, and shifts to first, but doesnt engage the rear wheel. Even with the clutch fully "disengaged"... no cable even connected... The bike will rev and run and the wheel doesnt spin.

I do not have a basket removal tool, but am at a loss as to how that could play a part. As mentioned above, the bike would turn the wheel fine/run through the gears prior to an oil change and clutch swap, but now will not engage the wheel regardless of which clutch stack I use. It acts like there is no pressure coming through the plates at any time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

BC
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
It seems that you have installed some part of the clutch wrong and the discs are not becoming one block under the expansion of the springs.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:24 PM   #3
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Line up the mark on the cover plate with the mark on the basket. Use the new clutch when doing this to save pulling it apart again.
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
ZX-Dominance
ninjette.org newbie

You would think so.. But it's straight forward. Looks just like it does in the clymer manual, every video online, and in other clutches I've worked on.

I'm realt at a loss

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #5
ZX-Dominance
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtc1 View Post
Line up the mark on the cover plate with the mark on the basket. Use the new clutch when doing this to save pulling it apart again.
No idea what you're talking about?

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
You would think so.. But it's straight forward. Looks just like it does in the clymer manual, every video online, and in other clutches I've worked on.

I'm realt at a loss
There is no mystery in these things, torque is transmitted this way:

Crankshaft ----> Inner clutch ------> Package of discs ----> Outer clutch/gear -----> Gear of transmission

Package of discs is the only link that can be disconnected in that chain, ............and it is somehow.

Surgery time
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:04 PM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Did you adjust the tension of the cable at/near the top of the clutch cover? Too tight will not allow the clutch to engage.

also you positive you have the right amount of friction disks and steel plates?

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #8
ZX-Dominance
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtc1 View Post
BINGO! Just found out about the little horseshoe notches.

Incredible that I was able to remove and install the basket 6x and got it wrong every time.

Like flipping a coin and getting heads 6x in a row.

Anyways- she runs like a top. thanks!

Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:23 PM   #9
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

50-50 chance, two correct ways, two incorrect ways.
My mistake, mark is on the clutch hub, not the basket.
[IMG][/IMG]
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote