ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:42 AM   #1
Chim
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250

Florida Choke

When I bought my 07 the seller told me it would start right up with no choke. Well from it sitting, before selling, it had clogged carbs so I went through cleaning them, changing the jets to 110, replaced air box, and shimmed the needles with 2 washers. Now though, the bike will turn over but die immediately without the choke on at least halfway. I can slowly start to lessen the choke pretty quickly but I was under the impression that in weather such as central Florida, choke shouldn't be needed at all.

I've gone through the mixture screws as well. With the engine warm and running I would turn one in until it started to sputter, or miss, then turned it back out until it evened out again. Repeated with the other side. With everything I've read on here those were all the steps that I thought would fix any idling/running issues.

Also, I'm not sure if it's connected but when I rev the engine, while standing in 95 degree weather, the right side exhaust has some smoke come out of it while the left one has nothing. It's not even from revving it hard to 9k or anything, just about around 4k or so it does it. Since I just recently bought the bike and used Sea Foam to clean out the system, I haven't had a chance to run a tank completely down so could that smoke just still be gunk getting cleaned out?

It's my first bike and I'm just starting to get paranoid that everything's connected somehow and praying someone doesn't say 'head gasket' problem.

-I appreciate your time in reading this.
Chim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 06:01 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

What color is the smoke?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I have a new gen, so I don't know how helpful this will be, but in 95-100 degree temps I have to choke my engine for about 5-10 seconds before it will run with no choke.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 07:06 AM   #4
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Mines is a new gen and requires no choke down to about 50 degree's.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Chim
ninjette.org member

The smoke that comes out of the right exhaust isn't black or anything. It's sort of like what an idling exhaust would like in colder weather. You know that pale/clear white-ish type? Just that it's only in the one exhaust that worries me.

Thanks for the new gen info. On a completely cold start, first run of the day I can take it off completely within 5min or so (in Florida 90 degree or so temps). If I take it off too quickly when I go to set off and I shift into first, with clutch and brake completely in, it'll cut out so I know it's not ready yet.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:13 PM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
there's nothing wrong with needing choke for the first cold start of the day. that said, if you have starting issues, it might help to turn the mix screws out 1/4 turn to richen it a bit. if that makes it worse, turn them in to where they just were, then go another 1/4 turn to try leaning it a bit.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Chim
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the reply. I just noticed something else today. While I'm letting the bike warm up, if I put the choke on all the way, the engine almost dies out with revs going to below 800 or so... does that mean my mixture screws are too rich to deal with full choke? Or something tons worse?

Thanks again