ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Replacement fuel door: OEM? Aftermaket? Can I get it re-keyed to match current key?

The cap has been drilled out on my tank because the lock mechanism jammed. It looks like I can get an OEM replica on eBay for the same price as a twist on/off cap. Of course, it comes keyed for the keys it comes with. The keys look similar to OEM keys and the seller does sell OEM compatible key blanks. If they are compatible, can a locksmith change it to work with my current key? How much might they charge?

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 13th, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I'm sure it can be done. They may have to match your ignition to the fuel lid or it could be the opposite. I want to say it cost about $60 to have this done though...

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Thanks. I know I've heard of people getting some kind of lock on these bikes re-keyed so that the tumblers match the key. I have a bag of parts from the old one including what may be tumblers, but I can't be sure that they'll fit the replica lock internally.

FWIW, the replica lock is cheaper than most twist-on/off caps.

*sigh*
Decisions, decisions. Even if I don't mind carrying a separate petrol key, I'm still tempted to get a racing-style twist off gas cap is because I want this bike to be harder to recognize as a 250R.

It seems that they also sell cheap replica keys, like the blue Kawi "K" ones that are the same style as our black ones. Their replica newgen ignition locks have keys that look strangely different from even their alternate-colored replicas. Need to keep that in mind the next time someone says that they lost a key.

Edit: They sell replica seats too. Wow. This seller is full of surprises.

Last futzed with by CZroe; July 2nd, 2012 at 08:29 AM.

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

If, the slot is the same is the OE then it can be rekeyed. I had my trunk tumbler rekeyed for 35 dollars. It varies from locksmith to locksmith.

Old June 13th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #5
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

If it's an OEM then yes, it's easily rekeyed. If you have the original tumbler assembly from your old lock you can rekey it yourself, it's pretty trivial.

If it's truly a replica then all bets are off. Often times the asian copy houses just copy it exactly because it doesn't involve much engineering time nor are they worried about getting sued for intellectual property theft. The only way to know is to disassemble the caps and compare tumblers.

A locksmith, a good locksmith, will only need the tumbler cylinder assemblies to rekey it. They'll charge extra for dismantling the cap.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:32 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
If, the slot is the same is the OE then it can be rekeyed. I had my trunk tumbler rekeyed for 35 dollars. It varies from locksmith to locksmith.
It seems that the slot is different and it can't fit an OEM key inside at all. Oh well Locking a gas cap key under the seat will eliminate the need to add an extra key to the key chain.

But that's assuming I keep the new replica lock. I now have a twist-off Slingshot Racing (SSR) gas cap too.

Old July 9th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
just use the ssr cap and keep a close eye on the gas. The gas door on my truck doesn't lock. In theory people could siphon gas at will, but we haven't had issue with it since we bought it new in '97. Plus the ssr caps look way cool
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Yep. It's just that I know it's more valuable and I may rather stick with the replica to sell the SSR.

I did have my gas siphoned once and the componding factors ended up costing me hundreds of dollars:
I was out of state visiting family in the mountains and my car died while warming up. I had been really low on fuel, so I assumed that the hill I was parked on made it "run out" sooner than it would (not level) and my older brother continued letting his truck idle. Soon, his ran out too and it was clear that someone siphoned my car, didn't get anything worth talking about, then siphoned his truck. There were ATVs going up and down the mountain all day and it was clearly one of them. The thing is, I needed to get back to my home state for work but the car's fuel filter had clogged due to sucking in all the crap that floats on top. I ended up having to take my brother's truck, pay to have the filter replaced after leaving it, and arrange to have my brother visit at my expense to exchange vehicles again at home (had to pay for gas).