ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

Considering a Bilt jacket...

So, as the title says, I have been considering a Bilt Paddock Jacket for the warmer weather and would love to hear from any one of you all if you have one of these, and how do you like it?

Is it made well, stand up to wear and such? Don't hold back, but for the price of 79.00 on sale this month, it seens like a great deal!
Little Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

From the reviews on cyclegear it sounds like its a great looking jacket with poor quality stitching and zippers. I will pass.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Yup, I read that too, seems that it was only a few like that. Of the experience I have had with my Bilt gloves, I just took them back and they exchanged them right there in the store, no questions asked.

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
expect it to fall apart in 6 months, however they do have a nice warranty so they will replace it with another jacket that will fall apart in 6 months
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Im guessing that you have one, or have had one?

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #6
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i would pass and get the equivalent icon jacket or better yet save for leathers.

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #7
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Bilt = cheap
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Norman

Motorcycle(s): BMW K12RS, DL650 , New 2013 "WonderBike" Ninja300SE

I recently invested in Bilt "Freezeout" underclothing and I am mightily impressed..particularly at their current sale prices on this cold weather gear. Buy it and you will be warm and won't regret the purchase. I can't speak for the jacket. I kind of think CycleGear is the Harbor Freight of Moto stuff....and that's not all bad............
Xplorguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

I know right? I have the freeze-out balaclava, and it was a great addition to my winter gear. I might take a chance on the jacket, for 79 bucks, I could do worse i suppose?

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Hey, if you like the jacket...its a good value. And pick up the underwear at the same time.............

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Dont really need that now, the weather here has become nice again and getting hotter by the minute. I see you all up in Duck country are getting the usual soakers?

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Yup, still a little cold and wet...but the NW is incredible cycle country. Lots to see out of your area also..........!

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #13
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Try going for some Teknic gear, Not to expensive but in my experience with the Teknic mercury leather jacket, it fit very nice and was really good build with a strong feel and nice knox armor. Also pre-curved. I got it for 100$ on CL with the tags still on it (brand new), it was too big for the guy and exactly my size (44). Only thing was that the zipper head was a little jammed but got that fixed for $10 at a tailor store. Also upgraded to knox spine armor that fits in perfect. The jacket retails at about $250 but you might find one cheaper somewhere like me!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #14
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

We have a CG store about 15 minutes from my house, so unfortunately, I look like a Bilt Commercial when I ride.

As far as jackets, I only have a textile, but I have really enjoyed it. With liner, keeps you warm down as far as mid-30s. Without liner and vents open, i have been just fine up to 70's. Mine is the Bilt Spirit Textile.

I think the issue with the zipper, is that it will let you start zipping without the 'tab' end fully locked in place. Seems fine until you pull on it, and it will come apart from the bottom-up. Easy fix is to just pay attention when you are putting on your jacket. YMMV. I know this only because my gf did that exact thing on our first ride together (in her own Bilt jacket).

I was actually looking at the Bilt Sport Mesh and Blaze Mesh jackets online about 15 minutes ago.

Which are you looking for/asking about?
http://www.cyclegear.com/search/nav/...jackets_mesh/0

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #15
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

I have a BILT jacket, gloves and helmet and all three are holding together and feel just fine. Of course, I take reviews very seriously and carefully selected each one before choosing.

You also have to keep in mind this is starter gear I plan on replacing in the next couple years anyway regardless of it's condition.

Here is the jacket I've got:
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...390_59409_1936
I paid less than half that much for it, though.
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #16
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

In all honesty I think that for Mesh/Textile gear an option like the BILT items is not a bad one. Most non leather gear is a one and done type of deal, you go down and likely will put a serious tear/hole in them. This has at least been my experience with mid level gear (J Rocket, Fieldsheer, Cortech).

I have handled a bit of the BILT stuff and really I do not think it is that far behind most other mid level stuff. I ride in Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, Fieldsheer, Cortech.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #17
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

they're alright jackets...the stitching just sucks...trust. be ready to re stitch some stuff.

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #18
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA View Post
they're alright jackets...the stitching just sucks...trust. be ready to re stitch some stuff.
Or just wear it until then and then take it back for a brand new one.

Old March 20th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #19
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklooker View Post
I have a BILT jacket, gloves and helmet and all three are holding together and feel just fine. Of course, I take reviews very seriously and carefully selected each one before choosing.

You also have to keep in mind this is starter gear I plan on replacing in the next couple years anyway regardless of it's condition.

hey that's the one i have. and i totally agree about BILT as being starter gear.

Old March 20th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #20
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

I got a Bilt textile jacket when I first started riding a year and a half or so ago and wore it from about October to the following summer with no problems. With the liner, it worked well for the cold mornings and without it, it vented well. I never had to worry about how it held up in a crash (thankfully), but ended up replacing it with a Scorpion jacket during the summer. I still have the Bilt in the closet though, if I need it.

Old March 20th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #21
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Quote:
That jacket looks like it would be great for fall, spring and winter, but how about summer? Summers here in AZ are the reason so many riders go without gear to protect themselves.

I'm going to CG tomorrow to see whats available and keeping the price in mind, as well as the abrasion factor, I will try to pick one up thats cooler in summer than my Speed and Strength Devils in the Details, three layer jacket.

Sure I can peel layers off of it, but the protection goes down as I do, so like I said, I will see whats in store and maybe I will let you know what I come up with?

Old March 20th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Green Machine View Post
Considering a Bilt
Stop right there, young man. Reconsider! Your life is at risk here. Don't buy Bilt.

Old March 20th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #23
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

The discussion was brought up because the Bilt jakets were on sale, and quite frankly, I don't have a ton of money to buy the Dainise and Alpine Stars jackets that seem priced right out of my price range.

I'm looking for a good jacket that fits well, stands up to wear and is not too hot for summer, as well as price. So if you know something I don't, please share any information you have?

Old March 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I gotst this one.... http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...261_59409_1728

It was my first jacket, but I only paid $135ish dollars I think at the time. My one lasted a few months until the zipper broke. Took the jacket back to my local CG and they gave me a new jacket. Unfortunately that new jacket didn't seem like it was as good quality. The leather on it felt thinner. But at least the zipper hasn't fallen off this one.

I've had it for over a year and a half without any complaints. But the velcro on the cuffs has come off. It is an easy fix but I am too lazy to fix it. It doesn't bother me. I'd bet that CG would probably give me a replacement jacket if I brought it in. I may do that eventually to see if they will actually do that.

Anywho, the jacket is great for temps 60-100+ degrees. You will definitely sweat in it in the summer. But it isn't bad when you are moving. The mesh on it breaths well and I feel like the leather panels will offer decent protection if/when I go down on the pavement.

Personally, I wouldn't wear a regular mesh jacket. I want the protection that leather offers. But that's just me.

It's a good jacket for the money. But I wouldn't buy it for $190 dollars. Wait for it to go on sale.

Edit: So I thought the Paddock jacket was mesh for some reason. It's textile. I wouldn't wear it. I might have recently been down in a Alpine*'s textile jacket at somewhat slow speeds. And i gotta tell you, it didn't offer that much protection. Yes it was way better than nothing, but it can't compete with leather. Now I have a messed up textile jacket that is no longer waterproof and looks rough. If I was wearing leather I can almost guarantee it would have just been a little scuffed up and I wouldn't have lost skin off my arm and hip. Well worth the extra $200 dollars or so for a leather jacket.

I learned my lesson the hard way. I won't be buying another textile jacket again, unless it had leather in the major impact areas. Like this one... http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...leather-jacket But hey, it's up to you.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #25
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

I will check that one out too, thanks Jono

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #26
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That jacket looks like it would be great for fall, spring and winter, but how about summer? Summers here in AZ are the reason so many riders go without gear to protect themselves.

I'm going to CG tomorrow to see whats available and keeping the price in mind, as well as the abrasion factor, I will try to pick one up thats cooler in summer than my Speed and Strength Devils in the Details, three layer jacket.

Sure I can peel layers off of it, but the protection goes down as I do, so like I said, I will see whats in store and maybe I will let you know what I come up with?
Not gunna lie, it's hot. I know what kinda hot you mean since we're both from hot states. It's got front and back vents but to be honest I'm not sure what you could wear in southern heat besides nothing to stay cool out in the sun.

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #27
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Well, like I said, the Bilt jacket is light and made for warm weather. Sure some have had issues with them but if they keep replacing them for stitching and zippers, then its not the end of the world?

Old March 21st, 2013, 06:40 AM   #28
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Quote:
Sure some have had issues with them but if they keep replacing them for stitching and zippers, then its not the end of the world?
Until it's the stitching that fails when you actually need it. You're dressing for the crash, not the ride, and as stitching is one of the weakest points on a jackets ANYWAY, it seems like a silly idea to buy a jacket that's notoriously bad in that area to me.

Old March 21st, 2013, 07:01 AM   #29
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

For the record I havent had a single issue with my jacket yet.

Old March 21st, 2013, 07:37 AM   #30
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

I too started with BILT gear because of budget...Helmet, Jacket, Gloves. I bought them exactly one year ago Easter weekend and after @8,000 miles I will say this:

Gloves = SUCKED, DONT WASTE MONEY!

Helmet = Helmet straps starting to show wear. Face shield shows no scratches and I wipe it every time I get home from riding and sometimes during riding with whatever is handy.

Jacket = Black is starting to fade on the jacket. Zippers all still working great, armor still in correct positions. No tears, strings handing, all good!

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 03:01 PM   #31
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Only Bilt item I have is a pair of Circuit Racer boots. So far they are holding up perfectly fine with no problems. In the cooler temps they keep my feet warm but do not have near the protection of my A* SMX Plus Vented boots.

Living along the eastern New Mexico / west Texas border summer months get very hot. I still wear a Cortech Latigo perforated leather jacket along with Knox Aegis back protector.

Yes it gets warm when sitting at a stop light but cools down quickly when moving.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 03:24 PM   #32
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Went to my local CG store and looked the jackets over. Spoke to a clerk and asked him if they had started making them any better because of all the reviews. He dodged the question and ran to help another rider that walked in the store.
I feel that if he could not talk to me about their own product, then why should I purchase it, so I left.
Went to Kawasaki dealer just down the street and they had the latest S&S jacket for $175. Looking for it online now to see if I can get it a little cheaper.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:38 AM   #33
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

i bought some Bilt Demon gloves as they were on sale and it was in the middle of winter and i didnt want to put my sexy SPX gloves through anymore rain/torture..so i spend the 25-30bucks at cyclegear for them. i spent a good 6-7minutes finding the best looking/fitting pair. bought em..after 2 weeks of using them every other day the stitching started coming off, not only that but the inner im guessing its an in insulating layer inside the gloves started to come undone with the outer layer of the glove, so my fingers could not get all the way in..after some tinkering i fixed it but Bilt is pretty ******.

tbh that is to be expecting since Bilt seems to be cyclegears flagship brand.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:38 AM   #34
MARCUSMARC
ninjette.org member

Name: Marcus

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 205r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
tbh that is to be expecting since Bilt seems to be cyclegears flagship brand.
Bilt is really just their in-house brand that they make cheap and make the most margin on, so they can offer the biggest discounts. I wouldn't call it their flagship.

Almost all the Bilt stuff is always on "sale", so it looks like you are getting a good deal. I personally have a Bilt Mesh Jacket, textile pants, and gloves. Other than the gloves, I feel comfortable that they will keep me safe if I go down. Will they last more than one crash, probably not, but its what I could afford and its much much better than nothing.

Some gear > No gear
MARCUSMARC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM   #35
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
An old thread about Bilt:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88819
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM   #36
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

I've been wearing bilt gear, and I commute every single day, rain or shine, up to a month ago it was 150 miles a day.

I have a cold weather textile jacket and a warm weather leather hybrid (the one linked to above) and I intend to buy a leather jacket next winter. I'm not a fan of the textile one.

The leather one, I've already been down on it, and the leather is slightly scuffed, the reflective piping got messed up, which makes it look like it's starting to come apart, but only the piping is coming apart, and that's only because of the slide.

I don't know exactly how fast I was going, but I slid quite a ways, well over a 100 feet, and the leather will be fine for a few more crashes, I think.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:14 PM   #37
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

No Bilt jacket for me

So, as I said, the Bilt gear was not up to my standards, as little as they may seem. The jacket was "Ok", as it was new and all, but the armor in the shoulders and sleeves were not much more than foam, very thin and not what I expected at all.

EMSracer told me that the best armor was the Knox armor, and that he made sure that his jacket had that brand of armor. So I set out on this glorious fact finding trip and came back with a jacket that had the Knox armor, made well and had a name that I felt could be trusted at a really good price.

I have ordered it already, and I should get it on Tuesday. Here it is:

I figured I could not really go wrong with that one, and Speed and Strength are on sale right now at Motorcycle Superstore, and the 10% discount made it all the better!

Thaks to all of you for the advice on the Bilt jackets, and helping me steer clear of a product that may have failed when I needed it most!

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #38
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

I just got an icon jacket and I love it. So nice... A jacket's something I was willing to spend some good money on and I don't regret it... not that I spent a ton on it (second hand) but I got a good jacket and can tell I'll never dislike it.
Mauchner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #39
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Motorcycle superstore has some bangin deals... Just wish stores around here stocked more than a thing or two or straight up Harley gear :/
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #40
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

I bought a hi viz jacket from Cycle gear 2 years ago, and they exchanged it for a new one this weekend. The cheap zipper broke, and I'm sure it will again.

That's a good deal. I would not buy any other Blitz gear.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote