ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 8th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #1
crazydarcz
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R '08

Question Ninja 250R '08 FI - Oxidized contact somewhere

Hey folks,
I'm sure the issue I have is due to an oxidized contact somewhere and my hope is that someone here can help me figure out where to look.

Backstory:
My bike's been sitting out in the rain unfortunately, since my bike's cover got stolen - twice. I will buy a 3rd one and lock it up this time, in the meantime though I gotta fix the bike. I had an issue starting the bike ~2 weeks ago where I bought a new battery, tested the solenoid which was working correctly and found out, in the end, that it was in issue with the engine start button on the handlebar. There was an oxidized layer on the contacts of the button so I ended up scratching it off with a knife and it solved the problem.

Now, I have a different problem...

Issue description:
This morning, the bike wouldn't start again. The electronics wouldn't come up at all, no light, all LEDs off, no solenoid click. So I tried a few things and found that when I push the bike forward and grab the front brake, the electronics come up during the forward "swing", for lack of a better word. If I try pressing the engine start button though, once the bike has settled, the solenoid clicks once and everything turns off. So obviously, the next thing I did was to push it and brake, electronics come up, push it and brake again while pressing the engine start button, thus starting the bike.

So for now I have a workaround to start the bike, but that's obviously temporary and far from ideal. I'd like to find the oxidized contact and clean it, but I'm not sure where to look. I assume it's a contact that is parallel with the bike somewhat or laying under something heavy so it is compressed during the "swing"? Not sure. Also, the bike runs fine once started so I assume the engine vibration is enough to create enough tension on the contacts to keep the current flowing? I'm talking out of my *** here so... anyway. Looking for help.

Thanks

Last futzed with by crazydarcz; August 8th, 2017 at 04:14 AM.
crazydarcz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2017, 06:23 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I would start at the battery. Confirm the voltage is correct at 12.7V or more. Check the battery terminal connections and the connections to the solenoid and chassis ground.

It sounds like something is loose and the movement temporary improves the connection. A battery that is shorting internally may do the same thing.

Get some Dielectric Grease, clean the terminals well, and apply the grease to any contact points.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote