ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 15th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #1
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Name: Robert "Doc"

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

"Rescue" Project down to (probably) carb circuits now

EDITS:

All fixed! Thanks everyone. This lady is on the road.

tl;dr: Bike was bought with 71 miles from a girl who couldn't get it back down the gravel driveway. Sat for years. Bad gas, flooded airbox, frozen cylinder, gas in oil. I got it CHEAP. Changed everything, Did PM, PDI, Torque checks, Filters, Tires, plugs, everything. Carbs were unholy. Took 4 (FOUR) cleanings after boiling carbs in water. Carb circuits were clogged with vergidis. Cleaned with welding wire. Pulled mixture screw caps, right side was frozen. R/R pilot screw. Started and ran like a new bike. Went for a 50 mile putt without a hiccup.

******************************************************************************** **************************************************************

So I've had to join the forums! I'm no longer able to lurk and absorb info like a creep

Not sure if everyone is going to want to see my intro post. I'm kinda familiar with motorcycles. I'm a Buell owner, I'm a past pro-trained BMW tech and Honda tech. This is my 2nd EX250 -- #1 is owned by my wife, I do not ride hers a lot. It stays maintained.

I've ran into some "type specific problems" that might need some troubleshooting:

(she's 100% factory, 71 miles)
1. Fires right up, no choke, will idle, today (29.92, 55 degrees, light rain, sea level), with A LOT of idle adjustment screw input and idles at 2.5k. Will idle lower, dies with even a hair of throttle. Read on as to why that confuses me about why it's lean.

2. Although she idles at 2.5k, it takes about 8-10 seconds of steady light throttle to let the RPM build and almost like the CV open up, then when the main jets spray, it's lit. The bike is peppy around 3.5k. Yep, again, slow jets too lean... but hang on... read on

3. I have NO ability to ride from a stop below 3.5k, even letting the clutch out ever so softly. still sounds lean to me, but I'm getting to that.

4. I have an intermittent high RPM falling down from about 3.5k to about 1.8k and then returns to 2.5k problem when I clutch or go to neutral. I've tried checking manifolds for air leaks but I am suspecting that all the wang-jangle hoses jetting around the CA emissions equipment in there and that (what I suspect) piece of equipment is the coast-enrichment pump off the side of the carbs has so many connections that I may need to just dump those cheap tiny clamps and get nice solid clamps I can put a few inch-lbs of torque on. Thoughts there too?

5. There is an airbox breather pipe that leads up above the valve covers, under the tank. I cannot find reference online as to why the top of it looks like it is missing a large hose. Post a pic for you guys?

So here's how I came across the latest addition to the toybox:

A girl in Seattle bought this bike 6 years ago new, put 71 miles on it, lived on a pea-gravel driveway. Got nervous pulling it in the garage that day and never pulled it out. I liked this idea, as I do not pull out either. We laughed and I handed her the cash.

So her bike sat.
Battery died.
No Stabilizer.
Bowls not drained.
Gas went bad
Floats froze.
Airbox flooded with varnish, melted air filter & oiled element.
Bowls, circuits, jets, needles, vents, out of control verdigris blocking everything.
Cylinders were coated in varnish.
Plugs were black.
Oil was funky with bad gas.
Zero PM was done (of course) so, it was a project.

OK, so I got it home and all the PM was taken care of, all of the inspections, redid everything from tires to PDI and torque checks, oil and fluids and filters on day 1.

Popped off the panels and tank. Popped off the fender, airbox, and carbs. Jets were the worst I've seen in a long time. Ethanol and the Pacific really wasted the fuel system.

I felt kinda burned out, so I put it aside and came back to it today.

Here's some pics of how bad the verdigris was in the fuel system:
20170508_175917.jpg
20170508_175926.jpg

RIGGGHHHTTT!!!!

I was like OMFFFFFF!!! That was photo worthy. I would usually just clean that out and pop everything back together and be done with it. This time, I'm taking a couple of pics.

This was also where I've also done my first EVER legendary level carb boil. Yes, I've heard you can boil carb parts from old salty bastards at Harley dealers when I had my 97 Buell in for service, but NAH, F-that.

I'd never boil a carb, I thought to myself. Well, the day has come. I stripped down the jets and corroded sections and boiled those little doot-doots for about 10 minutes and they came out looking like they were factory fresh.

I gotta say, I was very worried that I was going to fill the house with fumes, ruin something, or worse. It was a process to dry out the parts and get them ready, but it works amazing.

So, I reassembled everything, checked for operation, synched, checked for leaks on vacuum hoses and I'm STUCK now. What did I miss? Deep carb circuit somewhere? Pop off the idle mix screw caps and pull the screws too now? The bike runs great now as long as I'm not on the low speed jet. I just don't get how I missed anything. All the ports seemed to have free flow.

Updates:

(edit) High idle and weak at idle was fixed. Getting better clamps and double checking hose routing probably helped. I also found a small 1" section of hose behind the coaster-enricher (not totally sure of that nomenclature) on the device on the left side of the carbs with a small tear in it from what appears to be a manufacturing fault. Again, may have helped too.

(edit) Set pilot screws to 3 turns out from stock 2-1/2 and unknown. The right side was unknown because it was frozen from vergidis and needed to be replaced. This circuit being clogged also caused weak idle.

I've gone back in for a third time and noticed that there was a database on the forum for jetting and carb settings. Since I am going to run some thin welding wire (non flux, copper) through the circuits, I'm going to pull the pilot screw caps, tune and set them according to atmospheric data today, stock airbox, and exhaust. Will report back with a post edit.

(edit) It looks good to go! I took it out for a 50 mile putt and nothing is wrong. That's all she wrote. I've really earned my Kawasaki stripes on this project. If you can pull carbs on one of these in under 20 minutes, from fully dressed bike, I'd say you've got it down.

Settings for this weather are:
61 degrees, Sea Level to 230ft, 30.12in hg
Stock airbox (snorkel on)
Stock exhaust
No shims required
needle 3 turns
notes: cold start, no choke needed, idle steady at 800, then adjusted to 1500 after checking online 10 minutes later, throttle crisp anyway, drives crisp

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.

Last futzed with by Demonik; May 18th, 2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Updates and tl;dr
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #2
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

Hose missing on airbox sounds like the kleen air system. There is a vacuum actuated valve for this system. Possibly something in this system is your problem?

More info in this thread.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #3
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Name: Robert "Doc"

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

Updates:

(edit) High idle and weak at idle was fixed. Getting better clamps and double checking hose routing probably helped. I also found a small 1" section of hose behind the coaster-enricher (not totally sure of that nomenclature) on the device on the left side of the carbs with a small tear in it from what appears to be a manufacturing fault. Again, may have helped too.

(edit) Set pilot screws to 3 turns out from stock 2-1/2 and unknown. The right side was unknown because it was frozen from vergidis and needed to be replaced. This circuit being clogged also caused weak idle.

I've gone back in for a third time and noticed that there was a database on the forum for jetting and carb settings. Since I am going to run some thin welding wire (non flux, copper) through the circuits, I'm going to pull the pilot screw caps, tune and set them according to atmospheric data today, stock airbox, and exhaust. Will report back with a post edit.

(edit) It looks good to go! I took it out for a 50 mile putt and nothing is wrong. That's all she wrote. I've really earned my Kawasaki stripes on this project. If you can pull carbs on one of these in under 20 minutes, from fully dressed bike, I'd say you've got it down.

Settings for this weather are:
61 degrees, Sea Level to 230ft, 30.12in hg
Stock airbox (snorkel on)
Stock exhaust
No shims required
needle 3 turns
notes: cold start, no choke needed, idle steady at 800, then adjusted to 1500 after checking online 10 minutes later, throttle crisp anyway, drives crisp

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote