ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 30th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #1
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Bicycle blinkers legal to use on motorcycles?

In the past....for my commutes on bicycle, I would have a Superflash (http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Bl...rds=superflash) in the rear and a 1,200 lumen flash up front (headlight similar to this one).

Do any of you guys know if that's legal on a motorcycle? Or would that just be begging to be pulled over?

In the state of NJ, the good news is: modulating headlights are permitted in the state of NJ for motorcycles. I need to stop by the precinct to ask if blinking LED lights (that cyclists use on our handlebar) are permitted on motorcycles.

I plan on putting the front flash right below my headlight, mounting it on the black fairing that seals up the headlights (which is above the front fender).

The thing is....bicycles are considered vehicles in NY & NJ. We (cyclists) have to follow traffic laws the same way as motor vehicles. We have to ride on the road (can't be riding on the sidewalk). And in NYC, I know we must have a bell/horn and must have a white light (flashing or steady) up front and a red light (flashing or steady) in the rear.

So....do motorcycles have the same "rights" as bicycles do?

Old July 1st, 2015, 05:18 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
So....do motorcycles have the same "rights" as bicycles do?
Every state has different requirements and permissions for each vehicle type. So what applies to bicycles may or may not apply to a motorcycle. Operating a vehicle on a public road is a priviledge, not a right.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Hercules Zanzibar!!!
ninjette.org member

Name: G Money

Motorcycle(s): That's a silly question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Every state has different requirements and permissions for each vehicle type.
Yep. This will absolutely have some variability between states.

I'd be concerned about a minimum safety standard catch-all. If this lighting is not DOT approved (this could be important) and your motorcycle "relieves" itself of this aftermarket lighting, could it compromise your or your fellow motorists' safety?

Something to think about...

Last futzed with by Hercules Zanzibar!!!; July 1st, 2015 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Fix quote
Hercules Zanzibar!!! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2015, 09:24 PM   #4
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

You need to check yor state's vehicle code regarding motor cycle turn signals. Here in CA I think you could replace your safety equipment only with DOT approved equipment for the same purpose. You might get away with using the bicycle turn signals but you would be at risk for a fix-it ticket. Good luck.

Old July 6th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #5
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

If the lenses don't have DOT approval numbers molded in then they're illegal. You could probably get away with them for a while, but if you get hit because someone didn't see your signals the other party can say that your signals were not legal for highway use and you'd have no other options but to pay. Also, tickets.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote