ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #1
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

Robots taking over the world. [Research Paper] Help.

yep yep...that is correct. I am doing a research paper on robots taking over the world for my english composition class. I pretty much need ideas on how to prevent robots from taking over the world by the year 2050. As you guys can see on youtube, people are getting a little too crazy with artificial intelligence, so i am doing a paper on how its gonna go beyond our control, example: terminator, "I, robot". A.I. stuff like that. even robots taking over the jobs of people in factories and whatnot.

So i figured if u guys can take a bike apart and put it back together, maybe u guys can give me some ideas? any resources would be appreciated to lol, as far as companies going overboard with ai.
idea #1: have multiple EMP nukes lying around just incase everything goes terminator status
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #2
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

idea #2: get a big rock and start smashing anything electronic that looks like its getting "uppity"

thats right, im talking about you toaster....

on another note, im jealous you get to write about something like that. My teacher wouldn't let me do a paper on the Zombie-Apocalypse, and for that she will NOT be one of the ones i'll be saving when the zombies come.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:34 PM   #3
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

lol my teacher said i could do zombie apocalypse as well, nut i couldnt find enough info on that -.-; research would be a pain. lol

Old December 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Electronic Design magazine has done several stories on robotics in the last year, pretty sure all of those would be online.
http://electronicdesign.com/Search/Index.cfm

History channel or TLC has had a couple of shows on robotics along the same lines (hosted by Johnathan Frakes) . I'd like to think that if you find those shows, you could contact the network to get their sources for your research, make sure to explain what you are doing and why you are doing it (a class project).

The 3 laws of robotics is an ancient idea that is still as valid today, note it was written in 1942 before there were any kind a small semiconductors available and the CPU was still a dream in progress:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

There are many books on AI that you could read, the ethics is something that most of the higher end books all touch on. It is not sufficient to make the device that can think for itself, but you must also make it accountable for its actions. It therefore must be able to know right from wrong, and to weigh the consequences of its actions. These are very high level concepts considering that we are still struggling with things getting as smart as insects (stay alive, feed, find my way around, locomotion, etc.).
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Yea the ethics of this situation is usually where this topic gets really interesting. I mean, as the creator of the machines, we more or less have all of the say when it comes to how much power and control we give them over our day to day lives. Some people argue that computers and AI taking over the world is an inevitability, but others argue that's only because we allow it to become an inevitability. I mean, do we really need all of these smart phones in our lives, or do we allow them into our lives due to sheer laziness?

Battlestar Galactica is a good series to watch if you're gonna dive into the whole "human condition" element of this topic. It gets a little heavy, though.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

The old Battlestar stuff, the new one was basically the story of the first Christian (polytheism to monotheism) beliefs. That kind of detracted from a lot of the story for me.

Japan has all sorts of science fiction stories about robots taking over, very popular in comic books. BubbleGum Crisis, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, about a hundred others.

Another classic is Blade Runner where we actually made "humans" which would fit into AI.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #7
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

ahh cool guys. good sources right there .

but yea, im also gonna talk about how humans have grown to be dependent to technology now. things along those lines

Old December 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #8
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I have studied this subject at length. For your thesis, you want to research Ray Kurzweil and Vernon Vinge. Vernor Vinge originally coined the word "singularity" and Ray Kurzweil covers the topic at length.

Depending on what depth you wish to reach, I can give you more information.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/index.html?flash=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWnMw7Zr8w8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jptjnFVYk

These links will give you plenty of source material to begin your thesis.

In reference to stopping the singularity, that is not possible. You can only steer the technology to some degree, but even that will not prevent the singularity.

Our only option is to become cyborgs and integrate with the machines.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #9
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

aww man, that wouldve been GREAT! but i turned in the paper last week lol :[. still waiting on my grade for the paper and the class.
but thanks a lot for the info =)

Old December 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Lol...sounds good. Robotics and AI are incredible fields and going to change our lives pretty dramatically in the next couple of decades.
Posted via Mobile Device
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #11
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Do your own dam paper
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote