ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #121
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Wow, This thread has really proven an interesting fact. As many misconceptions as supersport riders have about the 250, you apparently have about the supersports!
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #122
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
There are so many factors to this thread. For me on the 250 my lower end gets squished when I ride and let me tell you it HURTS even if I'm not going over a bump, when I do i have had to pull over because of that pain you get.

As for some of the comments about sloppy shifting and so forth, IMO I ride to be as precise as possible, no matter what size I'm riding; here in Canada we get 5 months of riding time, so we like to have as much fun as possible and do not worry about gas mileage.
As for the capability to pass and fly through traffic it's much safer on a 600 because if your being stupid at least you have the power to make those stupid decisions sometimes...Not smart, but personal choice.
Lately I've found myself ALWAYS being above 8 rpm and I still can't get the pull I would like. When I cruise around and there isn't any traffic, just accelerating and going fast is something that's fun, and I believe a lot of people who ride would agree.

Unless the only reason people have a bike is to have cheap commuting maybe a sport bike or some discussions about bikes aren't relevant to your purpose (not talking about anyone in this thread, but I've seen it before) A lot of people like to ride to have fun, and sometimes having fun is being a bit stupid and getting adrenaline; twisting the throttle on a 250 isn't adrenaline packed.
Now being a 250 owner I LOVE this bike because it is easy to handle and throw into corners, but being a human being I like to experience new and different things. No maybe a 600 isn't smart in some people's opinions, but how do we know the 600 owners on they're forums aren't having discussions about 750's and 1000's + and why you should or shouldn't get them and they have the same reasoning as we do.
I do not recommend starting on a 600 because you do have to learn the fundamentals of riding and cornering most importantly and on a 600 there is MUCH more room for error. Plus all the available power makes the inexperienced even more tempted to "try it out" But I believe if a rider has learned on a smaller displacement bike riding a 600 should be a great opportunity.

Now yeah, for some the 250 is MUCH better than a 600, maybe it will be for me too.
Lots of people have had 600+ bikes and got a 250 for whatever reason (maybe new experience) and love it much more

My point is I do not defend either side. Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on who you are and how good of a rider you are and so on.
They are, I'm on every gixxer forum out there haha. When new riders come to the gsxr site asking about getting there first bike, the majority of people tell them not to get a gsxr as there first bike, to start with something like a 250r. Many people will recommend a 600 as a first bike "as long as your careful" (Like anyone ever got on a motorcycle deliberately intending to be lackadaisical and crash)

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #123
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

And one more thing. Anyone who says more torque can't get you out of trouble is out of there mind. I ride a gsxr 600, and a ninja 250, I am an objective source with experience on both. I feel safer on the gsxr, at any speed. Just today alone I must have used the power 10 times to get out of sketchy situations, including two times in which an SUV didn't see me and tried to merge into my lane on the Long Island Expressway. The reality of that situation is you have 3 viable options.
1) You use your torque to blast forward into the ample space you SHOULD be leaving between you and the car in front of you which by the way is something YOU control. This option has the HUGE benefit of taking place entirely within your current line of sight, you don't have to look in your mirrors, or spin your head.

2) You decelerate to create the space for the car to enter the lane. This option requires you to know there is a safe distance behind you, requiring additional time to check mirrors, etc. It also requires blind faith that the car behind you will slow when you suddenly grab the brakes. It always requires the car behind you to be following at a safe distance, which opposed to option one, is OUT of your control.

3) You shift into the lane to the opposite side of the oncoming car. Requires you to check mirrors, and is a game of chance as to whether or not there will even be an opening for a safe lane change, which is not something you really want to be taking time to think about while an SUV is barreling into your lane.

Of the three options provided, in my opinion, one is clearly the safest choice, by a wide margin. It's the fastest, requires the least thinking, requires no game of chance scenerios, and places no expectations on other drivers. Tell me, would torque get you in trouble, or get you out of it in this very common scenario?

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #124
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If you needed to use the difference in power between the 250 and a 600 10 times today to blast out of sketchy situations, something else is going on.

It's not that more power can't be useful at times. It's that the logic of that statement is turned around to say that the moderate power on the 250 makes it a less safe motorcycle. If a rider can't be perfectly safe on the 250 in any conditions up to and including 80+ mph traffic, it's not the bike's fault.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #125
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

wise words

Old July 17th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #126
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If you needed to use the difference in power between the 250 and a 600 10 times today to blast out of sketchy situations, something else is going on.

It's not that more power can't be useful at times. It's that the logic of that statement is turned around to say that the moderate power on the 250 makes it a less safe motorcycle. If a rider can't be perfectly safe on the 250 in any conditions up to and including 80+ mph traffic, it's not the bike's fault.
Ten times may have been an exaggeration. I never said the 250 is too weak to be safe. I still ride the 250! I love that bike for what it is. My comment was specifically targeted at those saying that brakes get you out of trouble, and gas gets you in it. Thats a close minded view, I took the chance to put forth a real life situation in which I felt safer accelerating then braking. I rode the 250 on every expressway IN new york. It's perfectly safe, although I will say it requires a different style of riding.

The real point is the 250 isn't too slow, and the gsxr isn't too fast. It's what you can do with whats between your legs. They require you to use there advantages. I still love taking the 250 out on the twisties, especially because I'm not afraid to wreck it (full gear!) and not have a bike. But I will say, when I'm shifting out of 2nd gear before I hit the end of the driveway, I chuckle.

There were so many misconceptions going on about super sport riding in this thread, I had to give my 2 cents on the "torque isn't helpful to stay safe bit".

The other thing I find funny is that a few of you think that because a SS CAN go 50 in first, and 70 in second, that you only use those two gears. It's the ninja mindset that sets in, because the bike is smaller, you pretty much have to ride it in the powerband, the only time I'm not is when I'm lugging in 4th around town at 45-50. Due effect of the powerband on the ninja, it seems unusual to early shift.. its like your missing the best part!
On the gsxr, you obviously have a powerband, but unless your racing, it's almost irrelevant, you still get a ton of torque pre-powerband. I shift into 2nd at 30 before I even HIT the powerband, I shift into 3rd at like 50, also before the powerband. I've wrung the gears out, and I COULD hit 50 in first, and 80 in second, 100 in third. But realistically, thats just not how you ride it, Its unneeded. Do you shift less on the gsxr, absolutely. But there is still a ton more shifting then 1-2-1 repeat lol

Old July 17th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #127
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

For me, the bottom line is that more power == more fun. I love my 250, but there ARE times when I wished it had a little more pull at the higher end. But not enough to justify going out and spending $14K on a new ZX-10R.

There is no such thing as a bad Ninja regardless of how big it is.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #128
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Good point Alex (it's me Adri99an) but do you agree with any of his options when in a sketchy situation? We always say we control where we go and what situations we place ourselves in, but we also know that cagers do stupid things and there WILL always be unforeseen things we cannot control.
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #129
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
And one more thing. Anyone who says more torque can't get you out of trouble is out of there mind. I ride a gsxr 600, and a ninja 250, I am an objective source with experience on both. I feel safer on the gsxr, at any speed. Just today alone I must have used the power 10 times to get out of sketchy situations, including two times in which an SUV didn't see me and tried to merge into my lane on the Long Island Expressway. The reality of that situation is you have 3 viable options.
1) You use your torque to blast forward into the ample space you SHOULD be leaving between you and the car in front of you which by the way is something YOU control. This option has the HUGE benefit of taking place entirely within your current line of sight, you don't have to look in your mirrors, or spin your head.

2) You decelerate to create the space for the car to enter the lane. This option requires you to know there is a safe distance behind you, requiring additional time to check mirrors, etc. It also requires blind faith that the car behind you will slow when you suddenly grab the brakes. It always requires the car behind you to be following at a safe distance, which opposed to option one, is OUT of your control.

3) You shift into the lane to the opposite side of the oncoming car. Requires you to check mirrors, and is a game of chance as to whether or not there will even be an opening for a safe lane change, which is not something you really want to be taking time to think about while an SUV is barreling into your lane.

Of the three options provided, in my opinion, one is clearly the safest choice, by a wide margin. It's the fastest, requires the least thinking, requires no game of chance scenerios, and places no expectations on other drivers. Tell me, would torque get you in trouble, or get you out of it in this very common scenario?
Actually, option 1 was don't ride in a blind spot. No additional power needed. If you are in situations like that more than 1 or 2 times a week, then you need to rethink your street strategies.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #130
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Actually, option 1 was don't ride in a blind spot. No additional power needed. If you are in situations like that more than 1 or 2 times a week, then you need to rethink your street strategies.
what happens when lane 1 (where you are) is moving faster than lane 2? (where thoughtless SUV is) is it possible to keep out of blind spots then? no. maybe you suggest everyone drive in the far right lane only?

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #131
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
For me, the bottom line is that more power == more fun. I love my 250, but there ARE times when I wished it had a little more pull at the higher end. But not enough to justify going out and spending $14K on a new ZX-10R.

There is no such thing as a bad Ninja regardless of how big it is.
No one said you have to buy a new zx10r to have the speed you want =p
Used one can cost like 3000-5000$ Or just get a zx6r, those things are FAST

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #132
blink
Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
what happens when lane 1 (where you are) is moving faster than lane 2? (where thoughtless SUV is) is it possible to keep out of blind spots then? no. maybe you suggest everyone drive in the far right lane only?
So true. I actually run in to about 6-10 drivers on one trip who can't drive. Either they end up slowing to 20 km/h in a highway (80km/h) merge lane and im in the lane they are merging into.
Or I'm cruising along when a dumbass is trying to lane change, but can't do so without slowing down so obviously I'm going to try to pass her safely.
Yesterday I'm driving behind my friend and he has the sv650 so he's always leading, then i notice him staring at a jeep on the highway (100km/h) limit through city limits and so when I catch up I see 5 kids NO older than 16 all screaming like retards. They had to slam on the breaks to let someone going aobut 70km merge, they didn't think to change lanes to make it easier for granny to merge but to make me have to shoulder check then brake and chnage lanes to avoid any problems.

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #133
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Option one said nothing about riding in someones blind spot. If you think everybody out there looks or even signals before every lane change, your not riding on the same Southern State parkway or Long Island Expressway as me lol. It was a simple example of a common scenario in which I suspect torque to be a useful tool for safety. I've ridden the ninjette down the same roads, and been fine. Option 2 and 3 have all worked for me, I just pointed out that option one places more control in your hands and less on drivers around you
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #134
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
Not trying to start any sort of flame war, but I'm a little curious, how do super sports perform in actual road conditions compared to something like our 250s or a 650r(or its other variants)?

I find that my 250 performs great in basically all street conditions, the only thing that I find lacking is performance for 2-up riding(but I don't do long 2-up trips just usually for quick errands around the city)

My impression thus far is that supersports don't provide any real benefit unless you're on a track? Is that correct?
I'm going to restate your statement that you stated a little differently.

------------------------------------------

I find that my 125 performs great in basically all street conditions, the only thing that I find lacking is performance for 2-up riding(but I don't do long 2-up trips just usually for quick errands around the city)

My impression thus far is that 250s don't provide any real benefit unless you're on a track? Is that correct?

-------------------------------------------

Yes, I'm trying to start some trouble.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #135
n4mwd

Quote:
No one said you have to buy a new zx10r to have the speed you want =p
Used one can cost like 3000-5000$ Or just get a zx6r, those things are FAST
At the same time, I have to have a way to justify having a bike. With the Ninja 250 I get 70mpg with good gas and that is way better than the car gets. The 600, 650 or zx-6r probably don't do as good. I can't seem to find the specs handy. My car gets 30 mpg, so whatever I get has to be better than that. The 250 fits the bill perfectly. If I did get a 650 or 6R, it would probably be in addition to and not in place of the 250.

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #136
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
If I did get a 650 or 6R, it would probably be in addition to and not in place of the 250.
This is a good philosophy to have. I've found that no one bike is good at everything...unlike cars where you can get pretty damn close.

The ninja 250 is a very economical bike to own and maintain, and is also ludicriously easy to work on yourself. Things get progressively harder the more cylinders you add, and the newer the bike gets.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #137
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
At the same time, I have to have a way to justify having a bike.
how about: "because i like it"?

Old July 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #138
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

I'll jump in here. Not looking or referring to any previous comments. I'm just stating my own experience with my current bike which is an '08 zx14. Just to note i started on an '09 250

There is no way... NO way you can ride this bike to it's potential anywhere around where i live safely. (im talking streets here). Anyone who states they can is a fool. No matter how good you are you can't control johnny jackass in the escalade.

That said i absolutely adore this bike. It's amazingly comfortable, handles 2 up riding like its nothing, feels surprisingly nimble for a (relatively) heavy bike and will absolutely yank you forward hard enough to dislocate a shoulder if you ask it to. It's also very easy to putt around on at low speeds and navigate around the parking lot

Bottom line is that just because your bike CAN do something doesn't mean that you HAVE to. So yes, 600+ SS are very usable on the streets. The bike you ride doesn't determine how you do it, it just does what its told.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #139
blink
Always.

Quote:
At the same time, I have to have a way to justify having a bike. With the Ninja 250 I get 70mpg with good gas and that is way better than the car gets. The 600, 650 or zx-6r probably don't do as good. I can't seem to find the specs handy. My car gets 30 mpg, so whatever I get has to be better than that. The 250 fits the bill perfectly. If I did get a 650 or 6R, it would probably be in addition to and not in place of the 250.
The gas mileage is different from my point of view since I'll do about 300km on a tank because I'm always above 10 rpms, thus justifying my argument for getting a 600.

But in your case with bills and all, I understand where you are coming from. So depending on your situation you are good.
Although if bills come into the topic; why not a 125? They are even better for bills if that's why you ride a smaller bike. They will reach highway speeds and your chances of getting a ticket is even lower than on a 250

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #140
blink
Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I'll jump in here. Not looking or referring to any previous comments. I'm just stating my own experience with my current bike which is an '08 zx14. Just to note i started on an '09 250

There is no way... NO way you can ride this bike to it's potential anywhere around where i live safely. (im talking streets here). Anyone who states they can is a fool. No matter how good you are you can't control johnny jackass in the escalade.

That said i absolutely adore this bike. It's amazingly comfortable, handles 2 up riding like its nothing, feels surprisingly nimble for a (relatively) heavy bike and will absolutely yank you forward hard enough to dislocate a shoulder if you ask it to. It's also very easy to putt around on at low speeds and navigate around the parking lot

Bottom line is that just because your bike CAN do something doesn't mean that you HAVE to. So yes, 600+ SS are very usable on the streets. The bike you ride doesn't determine how you do it, it just does what its told.

But this is a zx14 you are talking about, in some way your final paragraph seems like it may be concluding the 600 topic, but I don't see it =[

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #141
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

Well he said 600cc or greater. Doesn't come much greater than 1400cc. I was just pointing out that pretty much anything is usable on the streets if you use it intelligently.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #142
blink
Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Well he said 600cc or greater. Doesn't come much greater than 1400cc. I was just pointing out that pretty much anything is usable on the streets if you use it intelligently.
Yeah that is true, I'm picking up the gixxer600 friday, just taking it for a spin to finalize the deal and see if it runs properly.
I was initially going for the 636, but nothing came into eye which suited my price range.

Going to feel weird with a kawa jacket and a gixxer...but I'm not getting rid of my native pride being..kawasaki =]

Old July 19th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #143
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeah that is true, I'm picking up the gixxer600 friday, just taking it for a spin to finalize the deal and see if it runs properly.
I was initially going for the 636, but nothing came into eye which suited my price range.

Going to feel weird with a kawa jacket and a gixxer...but I'm not getting rid of my native pride being..kawasaki =]
I might get flamed to death for this. But Suzuki makes a HELL of a machine...I'm not gonna make any comparisons, but their attention to detail is obvious.

Old July 20th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #144
n4mwd

Quote:
But in your case with bills and all, I understand where you are coming from. So depending on your situation you are good.
Although if bills come into the topic; why not a 125? They are even better for bills if that's why you ride a smaller bike. They will reach highway speeds and your chances of getting a ticket is even lower than on a 250
I don't think they make a Ninja 125. I think the Kawasaki Eliminators that we used in MSF class were 125 cc, but those things had a top speed of about 60 - not enough for the freeway around here. They don't sound like much fun.

OTOH, the Ninja 250 is plenty fun. So for me, the bike has to be justifiable - both cost and fun. Think of it as the fun/dollar ratio. A Ninja 250 has a high fun/dollar ratio. SO I guess the real question of this thread is does the 600 have a higher or lower fun/dollar ratio?

Old July 20th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #145
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I don't think they make a Ninja 125. I think the Kawasaki Eliminators that we used in MSF class were 125 cc, but those things had a top speed of about 60 - not enough for the freeway around here. They don't sound like much fun.

OTOH, the Ninja 250 is plenty fun. So for me, the bike has to be justifiable - both cost and fun. Think of it as the fun/dollar ratio. A Ninja 250 has a high fun/dollar ratio. SO I guess the real question of this thread is does the 600 have a higher or lower fun/dollar ratio?
This can only be determined by each individual
I saved up 6000 to buy a bigger bike, and I did recently, A gsxr 600. I have fun on that bike exceeding the cost of the bike, and the cost of gassing it up. In my case the ratio was greater. I don't make outstanding money, and have a lot of obligations, and I still raised the money, and still consider on the high side of this imaginary ratio lol

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #146
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
I might get flamed to death for this. But Suzuki makes a HELL of a machine...I'm not gonna make any comparisons, but their attention to detail is obvious.
Good observation!

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #147
blink
Always.

Quote:

I meant the cbr 125. Yeah the cost to fun is true, but then it comes down to personal desire! =p

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #148
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

On the subject of safety. You can be a very competent rider and ride smart enough not to get into a bind, but the situation may develop outside of your control, when you need that acceleration, now. And you just won't have it. Which brings me to yesterday's experience.

I was riding on a three-lane highway (Belt Pkwy) in the left late, next to a concrete divider, at about 60 mph, with relatively light traffic. As I pass the on-ramp, I hear strange noise, and see an SUV jumping over the ramp's curb, and flying over it, into the right lane. I see it in the corner of my eye, as it barrels aggressively into the middle lane, on four wheels, dragging body panels, catching up to me. I am both incredulous, and realize that I need to GTFO, now. There is not much time to think, but I need to make as much room between me and the lunatic... what are the options? Frankly, there weren't too many.

Swerving left is not possible -there's a concrete barrier. Swerving right and / or braking brings me ever closer to the maniac in the SUV. I jam the throttle forward, picking a clear path ahead, between two lanes of cars. Ninja obliges with lots of noise, and barely any acceleration. Luckily, the SUV swerves back into the right lane and hams on the throttle, zooming ahead. I then brake, trying to make as much room between me and the idiot. It was like a scene from the movies: red Jeep zooming and swerving around, dragging its body panels, with sparks flying. I was sure that the guy was either on drugs or trying to catch up with somebody ahead and run him over. Once he was far enough ahead with several cars between us, I relaxed a little.

Keeping him in the corner of my eye, I see him slowing down and getting off at the next exit. He then stops and gets out, looking incredulously at his beaten up car, like WTF just happened? I don't know if he was on drugs or just learning to drive, and hope to never find out. All I know I was running out of options to save myself, and really, REALLY wishing for the extra torque to move ahead and put a few iron cages between us.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #149
blink
Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
On the subject of safety. You can be a very competent rider and ride smart enough not to get into a bind, but the situation may develop outside of your control, when you need that acceleration, now. And you just won't have it. Which brings me to yesterday's experience.

I was riding on a three-lane highway (Belt Pkwy) in the left late, next to a concrete divider, at about 60 mph, with relatively light traffic. As I pass the on-ramp, I hear strange noise, and see an SUV jumping over the ramp's curb, and flying over it, into the right lane. I see it in the corner of my eye, as it barrels aggressively into the middle lane, on four wheels, dragging body panels, catching up to me. I am both incredulous, and realize that I need to GTFO, now. There is not much time to think, but I need to make as much room between me and the lunatic... what are the options? Frankly, there weren't too many.

Swerving left is not possible -there's a concrete barrier. Swerving right and / or braking brings me ever closer to the maniac in the SUV. I jam the throttle forward, picking a clear path ahead, between two lanes of cars. Ninja obliges with lots of noise, and barely any acceleration. Luckily, the SUV swerves back into the right lane and hams on the throttle, zooming ahead. I then brake, trying to make as much room between me and the idiot. It was like a scene from the movies: red Jeep zooming and swerving around, dragging its body panels, with sparks flying. I was sure that the guy was either on drugs or trying to catch up with somebody ahead and run him over. Once he was far enough ahead with several cars between us, I relaxed a little.

Keeping him in the corner of my eye, I see him slowing down and getting off at the next exit. He then stops and gets out, looking incredulously at his beaten up car, like WTF just happened? I don't know if he was on drugs or just learning to drive, and hope to never find out. All I know I was running out of options to save myself, and really, REALLY wishing for the extra torque to move ahead and put a few iron cages between us.
Assuming this is true, then yes the extra hp would save you, now some WILL argue this doesn't happen on a daily bassis, but it only needs to happen once before you are turned into a strawberry pancake!

Old July 20th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #150
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post

I guess in your highly unlikely scenario, you'd better hope you're not driving a Geo Metro! You'd be SOL in that situation in nearly any vehicle with slower acceleration.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #151
n4mwd

Quote:
I meant the cbr 125. Yeah the cost to fun is true, but then it comes down to personal desire! =p
I didn't know they made a CBR 125R either, but I looked it up and sure enough. At first I thought you were joking. Its hard to get concrete specs because moto mags don't seem to bother to review it.

Top speed is about 65 on level ground/still air. The 0-60 is about 14 seconds. Any decent car can beat that. Gas mileage is only slightly better than the pregen Ninja at 75 mpg. Reviewers said that you really notice the hills with the CBR 125R.

But the little one cylinder 2 valve engine does have fuel injection.
Costs about the same as a Ninja 250.

Fun/dollar ratio : LOW

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #152
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
today i was riding on the street and a large gang of polar-bears approached me riding on mostly CBR250s, but also a few pregen ninja 250s. luckily i was on my 600 and was saved by the accelleration i had. if i was on something slower i might have been literally eaten alive.

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #153
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
today i was riding on the street and a large gang of polar-bears approached me riding on mostly CBR250s, but also a few pregen ninja 250s. luckily i was on my 600 and was saved by the accelleration i had. if i was on something slower i might have been literally eaten alive.
???

How do you know they were trying to eat you? Maybe there were just trying to save your soul?

Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #154
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I guess in your highly unlikely scenario, you'd better hope you're not driving a Geo Metro! You'd be SOL in that situation in nearly any vehicle with slower acceleration.
Frankly, being in a fast car wouldn't help, as there was not too much room to maneuver, but plenty of space for a bike to get through, lane-splitting ahead. I see plenty of people driving aggressively, zooming between cars, but most of these drivers are smooth and appear to have some sort of a plan. That dude was driving in a very erratic and unpredictable manner... that, and his dragging body panels made for quite spooky experience.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:30 AM   #155
n4mwd

Quote:
I hate it when other bikers run away from me like that. I'm just trying to be friendly. Oh, and those couldn't have been CBR 250Rs. They wouldn't be able to keep up with pregen Ninjas. Either that, or the Ninjas would end up wearing out their brake pads trying to avoid hitting them.