ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old January 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #1
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Riding Backpacks!

Sportbikes are fun...until you realize that you have to carry alot of stuff. Ive been doing some research about some cargo transportation solutions and now I want to see if anyone has some opinions or reviews.

First off, I decided on a backpack instead of a saddle or tank bag because they are also useful and comfortable to carry around off the bike. Also, tank bags have some fairly strong magnets which arent so friendly to laptops and other electronics. Regular backpacks also seem to have alot of loose straps and such that flap around in the wind.

Some criteria I was interested in were space, size, aerodynamics, comfort, styling, price, and helmet storage capabilities. So far, there isn't one "perfect" backpack I have come across that satisfies all of them...

Here are some of the backpacks I like:

1) Kreiga R25 (~$160)
http://www.kriega.com/pages_uk/r25/R25-topframeset.html

What I like: It was designed for riders, by riders. If you take a look at the website, it'll show you a bunch of the unique features it has. It seems to be one of the most comfortable backpacks on the market. From waht I've read on different forums and reviews, it has outstanding build quality.

But then again: It doesnt hold a helmet. Its also not quite as affordable as the Joe Rocket one below.

2) Axio Swift 2.0 (~$170)
http://www.axio-usa.com/swift2_black_m.html

What I like: Admit it, it looks damn good. It also looks pretty aerodynamic as well.

But then again: This is even more expensive than the Kriega R25. The lowest price I have found it for is $170. For the price, the kriega seems to be a better value because of the unique features it has. No helmet storage.

3) Joe Rocket Blaster (~$90)

What I like: It can fit a full face helmet completely within the backpack itself. Its pretty affordable.

But then again: From what I have read, it is a very tall backpack. Shorter people (I am 5'7") might find it a bit awkward. Also, if you decide to put the helmet in the backpack, it takes up some of the storage space.

4) Ogio No Drag (~$120)
http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=164

What I like: After watching a nice video review on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTpjm...e=channel_page), this backpack seems to be quite spacious. It is also designed to be aerodynamic. It can carry a helmet too.

But then again: Like the Joe Rocket backpack, this one is also quite tall. Could be an issue for shorter people. It might make you look like a turtle too.

5) Boblbe-e (~$240)
http://www.boblbee.com/us/artiklar/A...tID=881&ID=194

What I like: It is CE certified as a back protector. It uses a hard shell, so you stuff is less likely to be crushed or damaged.

But then again: Its the most expensive option of them all. $240!!! Yikes.

6) Icon Squad II (~$125)
http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...y=1667&id=7047

Link to original page on YouTube.

What I like: High visibility, helmet storage, jacket storage, has lots of pockets and space for stuff!

But then again: I'll get back to you when i think of something

Last futzed with by aloh; January 24th, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
aloh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #2
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I must say, I am in for the as I am looking for a decent bag to replace the normal backpack I have now, so I am interested in the replies.

Nice research Alex
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #3
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

mobile-edge-backpack.jpg

I bought a Mobile Edge SecurePack that works well and only sells for $53.00 from Amazon. It does not hold a helmet but fits most laptops.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/mobil...ptop-backpack/

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Edge-Se...2801001&sr=8-4

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago - looking for a pack for touring and commuting. For me, though, I was preparing for a tour down in the States so in an effort to save my back I ended up looking at backpacks that convert into tankbags.

Two of the best I found out there are the:
1) Rapid Transit Recon 19 Tankbag
2) Icon Urban Tankbag

Like you I was worried about my laptop, but I've seen a couple of reviews with no problems at all to their HDD. So I've ended up with the Icon just cause the RT wouldn't have fit my 15 inch. Construction seems a little flimsy and the zippers don't seem to be the best quality, but it still feels like it'll last awhile (hopefully).

and IMO it looks alot better in person
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #5
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Also if you are planning on tootling around with your laptop in your bag you might want to consider waterproof/resistance too... Incase you are in a rainy area like me.

I currently use a Camelback pack (yes I drink and ride! water...) that is very spacious as I can fit my frog togs, personal items, and waterbag with no problems. A lot of Camelbacks also have straps that you can use for a helmet (I haven't tried this yet though).

Just a thought.

Old January 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

i am seriously thinking about this one. i like the "grab your attention" orange, but it also comes in black:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7
aloh
lolwut

Laptop storage used to be one of the important factors for me, since I currently have this massive 17" one. However, I have decided that in the near future i will have a tiny 10" to use for when im on the go. That 10" one will fit just about anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post

I currently use a Camelback pack (yes I drink and ride! water...) that is very spacious as I can fit my frog togs, personal items, and waterbag with no problems. A lot of Camelbacks also have straps that you can use for a helmet (I haven't tried this yet though).

Just a thought.
Just a question, how do you use the hose while riding with your helmet on? I was trying figure that one out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
i am seriously thinking about this one. i like the "grab your attention" orange, but it also comes in black
Very nice! It seems to have alot of the things im looking for. I will add it to the list.

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Netbook discussion moved here.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #9
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I just use my old Jansport back pack
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i got this dakine apex bag for xmas. it hold the helmet on the back of the bag instead of the bottom or inside, so you can still carry whatever else you need. its got tons of cool little pockets and stuff for whatever little things you need to carry and is big enough to fit my 15" mac book pro. it also comes with a separate pocket and 100oz camel back style reservoir. i haven't used it much yet, but it seems like a great bag.

http://www.dakine.com/bike/bike-packs/apex/

Old January 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Diablo Black Ninja 250r, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

This is the bag I've got. Really like it. It''s very versatile.
Called the Spinex Stunt 3 in 1
It can be a tank bag, a pillion seat bag, or a rucksack
Has an interchangeable lid - either a webbing on the top lid or a map bag which can be a shoulder bag on it's own.

This the tank protector that lets you mount it as a tank bag

This is the bag with the webbing lid

Lid off

It has a map bag lid that can be swapped with the webbing lid - this bag can act as a shoulder bag in its own right too

Both the map/shoulder bag & the main tank/pillion/rucksack have zips that can be undone to increase the storage size.

Even big enough to store a doggy ;-)

Old January 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #12
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Okay I have to ask.. What is that dog thing in the backpack?
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #13
toku
ninjette.org member

Name: Yuri

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

I have the oakley icon backpack

It's quite comfortable to ride with has a spot for a laptop and mp3 player and a little slit to pass the wire through. It's got chest and waist straps so it's secure and the shoulder straps are padded and rather comfortable. Also it has a neat little spot for my oakley shades. If it's empty or just has a notebook or two in it I can even fit my helmet inside but usually I just strap it to the back. It's got a few pockets on the sides for smaller items and stuff like slots for pens/pencils and a little thing to hang your key chain. Also it has straps to collapse it when there's not a lot of stuff in it but it expands nicely and can hold clothes to last for several days or a lot of textbooks... your choice. When it's empty the straps flap in the wind but they're all behind you, they never really bothered me. I also like that this bag is waterproof and dries quickly.

Old January 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #14
kkim

toku,

that sounds like a great bag. could you possibly get a shot of you wearing the backpack?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #15
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloh View Post

Just a question, how do you use the hose while riding with your helmet on? I was trying figure that one out..
The front of my helmet, right in front of my chin, is a bit of space (between the right and left padding). The sucker (as I call it) fits right in there. It works beautifully. when not in use I have it tucked into the straps so it doesn't flap around.

As I generaly have a picture of everything... The blue tube going from my shoulder to my helmet is the water tube.

See!

Old January 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #16
Gbug
ninjette.org member

Name: Grant

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I like this one by cortech
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Backpack.aspx

Good price, and the helmet storage is pretty nice; doesn't take up any interior space. Has waist and chest straps also. I haven't had a chance to use mine yet, but I think I made the right choice.
Gbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #17
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Really like that spinex bag Gregular. Haven't seen any over here, otherwise I would've jumped right on it

Old January 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #18
aloh
lolwut

The spinex and cortech ones look pretty sweet! I just wish i could see them all in person. So far, the Kriega R25 one appeals to me the most because of its harness system and reputation for outstanding quality.

Old January 25th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #19
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Diablo Black Ninja 250r, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloh View Post
The spinex and cortech ones look pretty sweet! I just wish i could see them all in person. So far, the Kriega R25 one appeals to me the most because of its harness system and reputation for outstanding quality.
Well I can't show it to you in person, but here's some piccies I dug up

What's not shown is that there's quite a few straps and clips so if you want the option to use it in all it's configurations, you'll have to bring them along with you.

I really wanted a tail bag that could be moved up front to the tank if I get a passenger or if I need a map in front of me so that's why I went for this, there aren't many bags that can be swapped from front to back. The fact that it can be a rucksack (or carried by a handle like a briefcase) is a bonus, but it is just that - the padding for shoulder straps is ok, there's no padding for the back etc. Basically it doesn't have a lot of the features that make really good rucksacks really good. Don't get me wrong, it is still an ok rucksack, but if I was going to be wearing it alot and doing long journeys and carrying things like laptops, I'd have a look at the Dakine (see Broom's post) or the Oakley Toolpack (see below).

Being a bag that's strapped/clipped to a bike is it's primary purpose.
And with the tank protector fitted (which is an extra), its just 3 clips to attach it up front, So I liked that too. Park up somewhere and in seconds the luggage is off the bike and staying with you, not stuck on the bike for someone else to have a rummage.
It's waterproof, feels really rugged, has reinforced sides and so far the only disappointment is that it takes a bit of figuring out which straps are for what, as the instructions came in french LOL

I do not think it would be that great for a laptop though as although its waterproof and tough; there's no padding, the main compartment is just that, with no sleeves/slips for separation and the bag itself is a kinda triangular shape - a 17" laptop would struggle.
The map/shoulder bag lid would be good though, but that is an extra too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
toku,

that sounds like a great bag. could you possibly get a shot of you wearing the backpack?
I used to own one of these, but as a mountain biking bag, holiday bag and all round abuse the hell outta it bag.
Would definitely recommend it and if I was to buy another dedicated rucksack, it would be an oakley

You should check out some of the other oakley models - this is the oakley toolbox, it's cheaper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreezMunky View Post
Okay I have to ask.. What is that dog thing in the backpack?
That's a Sony Aibo, does everything except poop on the carpet.
Sony stopped making it but demand keeps growing - as pets, for spare parts, in education, universities use them as they are a great complete robotics tool with wifi, AI, full array of touch sensors, face recognition, camera.. list goes on. There's even a Robo Football (soccer for you peeps) World Cup.
People go crazy for them. Just sold mine for £2,000. So for once I made a rather shrewd buy

But I'd much rather and plan to add these little fellas to my family

Life's commitments have ment that having one hasn't been possible for a while, but I just have to find the right breeder now as things at home are now ideal.

Old January 25th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #20
ROCKNROLLA
<(^^,)>

Name: Vinny

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R (08)

I'm going to buy the Ogio No Drag .. the red/black one though, gotta keep the colour flow!

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #21
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I have an AlpineStars Vader backpack and I love it. Does everything a pack is supposed to do and looks good doing it:

http://www.mymcgear.com/browse.cfm/4...hml?AFF=690MCG
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #22
toku
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
toku,

Certainly, with riding gear or just everyday use? or both?

Old January 25th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #23
kkim

toku... any picture will do with it on. Just trying to judge size and get a feel on how big it is relative to rider. I like the features of the bag and seriously thinking of using it for dual purpose riding, off road.

Old January 25th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #24
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
I just use my old Jansport back pack
It gets the job done.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #25
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I have a land's end pack - it's a feather light
durable as heck - crash tested
has reflective stripes on it that are super-bright
the back compartment expands, and I can hook my helmet on by buclking through the d-ring on the front - the bungees are good to hold things on, and the side pockets are great for a water-bottle
the inside of the smaller compartment has the organizer pouches for pens etc.
best part is that it's only $39 and has a lifetime warranty
Oh, and it comes in all of the important Ninja colors too!

sorry - that's the best online pic I can find, but you can zoom in on the link below
http://www.landsend.com/pp/FeatherLi...8&origin=index
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #26
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Name: Dario

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 (Sold), 2016 Z1000

I gotta say, the Icon Urban Bag and the Joe Rocket Blaster are the ones that catch my interest most. I like the vertical/inside placement of the helmets.

50% of the time I got the woman on the bike, and helmet storage makes those trips to the mall much less annoying. I can't imagine how awkward carrying the helmet strapped to the BACK of the backpack is, no need to be 6ft tall and 4ft long.
P1NDLESK1N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #27
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NDLESK1N View Post
I gotta say, the Icon Urban Bag and the Joe Rocket Blaster are the ones that catch my interest most. I like the vertical/inside placement of the helmets.
actually that's the one thing I didn't like about the bag. If it's on the bottom of the bag, how would you set it down without it being awkward/difficult

but your post actually got me to try it just now and surprisingly the helmet doesn't swing and hit you in the tailbone/ass like I thought it would It doesn't feel all that secure though... and I don't want to tighten the straps too much cause it'll probably scratch the helmet... might think about sewing some padding/material on the strap...

Old January 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #28
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Or bringing your helmet bag along and putting it in the bag before putting it in the straps.

Old January 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #29
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Name: Dario

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 (Sold), 2016 Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
If it's on the bottom of the bag, how would you set it down without it being awkward/difficult
Yeah I guess I didn't think of setting the bag down.

After I read this thread I started looking at backpacks online and came across this:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...udio-Pack.aspx
Not really bike specific, doesn't hold a helmet, but I wonder how loud it is...
P1NDLESK1N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #30
toku
ninjette.org member

Here are a few shots of the backpack itself
It's supposed to fit a 15' laptop I'm not sure how big the one in the picture is it's my parents I just grabbed it to take the picture. Also with the books I have in it there is still a decent amount of space left, easily room for at least 1 more big textbook.

This is just a shot of the front pocket area, honestly I almost never split the bag like it is in the picture I just reach down and grab what I need but the option is there I guess.

Just a shot of the back, it is padded and sectioned to form around your body when the straps are used. Also the pocket on top is the one that has the slit to pass headphone wires through. Instead I usually keep a camelbak bladder in there and pass the nozzle through the rings on the shoulder straps. The little cell phone pouch on the right strap in the picture (left when worn) probably wont hold larger pdas but something like an iphone should fit no problem, I have a pantech duo and it fits with ease.

Finally a shot with the backpack on, I'm about 6' and as you can see the pack takes up a decent portion of my back, when I ride I have it higher up on my shoulders but even the way it is in the picture it's still well above my butt.

The only downside really about this bag is that it's not as quick as something that just zippers since you have to unbuckle and flip the top every time to open and close it. It's something I've grown used to and really doesn't bother me, I'm never in that big a rush that half a minute would make a huge difference. I compare it to riding gear, yes it takes a bit longer to get ready but in the end it's time well spent. Another plus is that this backpack is very unique, at a school with 40,000 plus students I've never seen another one. As a matter of fact I've only seen this backpack one other time at some airport but I don't remember where.

Old January 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #31
kkim

Thank you, toku. In the picture of the bag on your back, is the pack full with the stuff you show in the previous pics?

Old January 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #32
toku
ninjette.org member

Mostly yes, I took the laptop out and put the service manual in. I'd imagine if the laptop was there the back would be a bit more rigid.

Old January 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #33
kkim

thank you, sir!

Old January 26th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #34
aloh
lolwut

nice pics toku! That one is growing on me.