ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 19th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1
k1prototype
k1prototype

Name: k1prototype

Motorcycle(s): Ducati ST4

Can a cruiser guy be defined as a squid?

I know this terminology applies to the sport bike crowd but I have a friend that I rode with on Sunday who has a Honda Shadow that I think really defines the terminology.

Rode extremely fast on public roads, cut aggressively throughout traffic, only wore a jacket and a helmet, and tailgated cars.

I've gone riding with him once before and I noticed the same thing, excessively speeding (over 110 on public roads), lack of proper gear, and aggressively cutting around cars.

Old October 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

IMO anybody on two wheels that rides in a stupid way or without proper gear is a squid. I don't care much what they're riding.

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #3
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Kinda depends on how you define squid, but I tend to apply it the same way Michael does.

Old October 20th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #4
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Yup, they definately come in all types. Had my Ninja out the other day when a couple of HA's pull out behind me. That road was kind of twisty. I can tell they were tring to get in front of me but with as twisty as the road was they werent able to keep up. We eventually came to a two lane straight road and at that point they blasted through weaving through traffic, cutting people off.

At one point they were comming to a stop light. There was a van that had been next to them for about 30 seconds. One of them wanted to be in the lane before they came to a complete stop. Started tunring into the lane and almost ran into the van. All he had to do was look. It was right next to him.

I parked next to them at a gas station to fill up. Over heard their conversation. They werent in a rush or anything.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #5
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I watched a full dresser harley (the BIG ones) lane split two cars on the highway doing about 90 once. Typical harley as well with no gear of any sort. Not only is lane splitting not legal here, I don't think it's legal anywhere when traffic is moving, let alone moving at 75-80.

I've seen a lot of stupid people on bikes, but that one takes the cake for me.

Then again this whole concept doesnt apply to only bike either...there are PLENTY of idiots in cars as well!

Old October 20th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

99% of cruiser riders are squids. When's the last time you saw a Harley guy with more than a t-shirt and one of those little teeny helmets on?
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I saw one with a leather vest and a skeleton face bandana. I wonder what he thought putting that over his face. Man do I look cool or what. Hey to each his own.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #8
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
When's the last time you saw a Harley guy with more than a t-shirt and one of those little teeny helmets on?
This weekend, I saw a guy on right purdy Harley in a hi-viz yellow jacket and 3/4 helmet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
99% of cruiser riders are squids.
Different kind 1%-er I guess.

Old October 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Here in SoCal, it seems like the a large percentage of Harley/cruiser riders where high-visibility orange vests or gear, which is more than I can say for other types of riders (myself included). They also sem to ride for enjoyment and relaxation without showboating or seeking excitement. Statistically, they are a lot more responsible than sport riders and less likely to be in an accident even with less gear. That said, a large portion of accidents are beyond the rider's control and thus you should try to have the best protection available (full set of riding gear including jacket, pants, boots, gloves, and full-faced helmet at least).

Last futzed with by CZroe; October 20th, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #10
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I believe cruiser guys that don't wear gear are referred to as "giant douches"
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I find that where I ride the HD riders are more laid back, just out enjoying the ride. Usually no helmets, except for the majority of the older guys or the gals. However this summer most of the deaths in Rhode Island where HD riders w/o helmets.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

And you know what... It really should be their choice of whether it is almost certain death with no helmet. It really should be up to the individual to decide, not forced upon any of us.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #13
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Squid are not bike specific... they can be on any make/model, be of any age, either sex, and can be poor, well off or anywhere in between.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #14
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I agree with Greg. It makes good sense to wear a helmet--but people should not have to be forced to do so. Personally, I wouldn`t go around the block with anything less than full gear. I crashed on my bicycle a few weeks ago and was only going 15MPH. I smashed my helmet, shredded a glove, left some skin on the tarmac, and am looking at several weeks of physical therapy to fix my right elbow---and I was only doing 15 when the front tyre blew. Sure am glad it wasn`t the Ninja, because I sure as hell would not have been doing 15MPH.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote