Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 31st, 2011, 05:50 PM   #1
ManiacalNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None YET.

The new Scorpion EXO-500. Any thoughts?

Hey there ladies and gents!
I'm new to the forum as well as to the whole motorcycle scene. I havnt even got a bike yet let alone much gear. I bought some boots (for $30 bucks) so I could at least take my MSF course without them scrutinizing me for wearing sneakers and will be getting better boots soon. As for gloves, I went scorpion and got them for a pretty great price and www.leatherup.com it's my favorite site and everything is below recommended resale price. I've been obsessed with scorpion products for the longest now and am determined to get scorpion gloves, helmet and jacket.

So heres my question, in april scorpion is releasing a new helmet (The EXO-500) and it looks amazing and its only $200. The only con I can see about it, is the price (as you get what you pay for, although scorpion makes amazing quality helmets for cheap,) and the fact that its not snell approved. Only D.O.T. So what are your opinions? Any bikers with a scorpion helmet now? If so what model and do you like it? Cheers.
-ManiacalNinja.
ManiacalNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 06:11 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

First off, welcome to the forum and riding.

If you do a quick search here, there are tons of threads with us discussing the scorpion line of helmets. Generally speaking, they're fantastic helmets and personally, snell isnt a big deal. I have the EXO-400 and 700 and I love them both. I got the 400 at closeout for $70 and the 700 for $130 on closeout at www.sportbiketrackgear.com which makes it an even better deal/helmet.

If you like the price, like the features, and LOVE the fit, you cant really go wrong with them. I too love scorpion products. They do a really good job at keeping costs low and the quality high. Good luck, ride safe.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 06:14 PM   #3
ManiacalNinja
ninjette.org member

Thanks. Im also a bit worried about ordering online before I go somewhere and try out the helmets. I'm a large but I hear the scorpion helmets run a little small, do you find this true?

Edit: Btw, what a great site. Things look a bit cheaper then the site I used. x-)

Old March 31st, 2011, 06:24 PM   #4
setasai

To be honest, I'm not sure because I've only owned the 2 scorpion helmets. At the time of purchase, I had a pretty small budget and so the shoei and arai's were definitely out of the question. If you're worried, see if you can find somewhere to try some helmet's on. I thought I was a large but ended up being a medium.

If you dont have anywhere else to go try gear on. Use motorcycle-superstore.com or motorcyclegear.com They have great return policies and fairly reasonable prices as well. That way you dont need to worry too much. Great fitting gear is essential to having a good time. You'll want to be certain that you're protected or else your mind while riding will be distracted.

Old March 31st, 2011, 06:52 PM   #5
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

My EXO-400 has been a very good helmet. Have had it for almost 5 years now and no complaints. I will buy another Scorpion for my next helmet.

Does anyone know if the regular Scorpion shields will fit on the EXO-series helmets that are now equipped with the small locking lever on the shield? I have three shields for my EXO-400 and I hope that they will work with the newer helmets.

Jeff

Old March 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I got my Snell/DOT Scorpion EXO-1000 for $140 (Cycle Gear clearance). I wanted the blue for $99 but they ran out. I do love it!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM   #7
ManiacalNinja
ninjette.org member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
My EXO-400 has been a very good helmet. Have had it for almost 5 years now and no complaints. I will buy another Scorpion for my next helmet.

Does anyone know if the regular Scorpion shields will fit on the EXO-series helmets that are now equipped with the small locking lever on the shield? I have three shields for my EXO-400 and I hope that they will work with the newer helmets.

Jeff
Thanks for the input. And Im sure it will fit. The lever is on the actual helmet thingy, not the sheild. But the sheilds do have sizes. Like an EXO-1000 will fit an EXO-500 but I dont think it'd fit an EXO-700. Get what I mean? The models that are similar will have the same size shields. But dont take my word on it.

@Czroe: that sucks about the blue. (Blue's my favorite color). Perhaps thats for the best though. if you ended up with a black or white helmet you wont have to worry about buying another bike to match with your helmet. (If u ever get another bike lol)

@setasai: thanks for the info. I think i'll be going in and trying them on. if they dont have the particular model I'd like atleast i'll know what size I am. Thanks.

Old March 31st, 2011, 08:30 PM   #8
setasai

Yea np. Once you know what size you are in things. It's much much easier to purchase things online with more confidence. Especially if you keep it in the same brands.

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:26 AM   #9
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I went from an Aria helmet to the Scorpion exo400 I like the Scorpion better.It feels lighter and the shield is easy to swap.

Last futzed with by Racer x; April 1st, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:09 AM   #10
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Buy a used shoei .. seriously check ebay

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:21 AM   #11
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): none yet

I have lots of helmets one of which is an exo-1000. The scorpion has got to be my favorite out o all 10 lids I have. I fits the best is the most comfortable on long rides and breathes the best also. The only two things I can say on the negative side is that they are a little heavy, and at very high speed (the 1000 anyway) has a tendency to lift. When I say very high speed I mean well over 130mph.

All in all I think they are great lids I don't think a guy can go wrong with them. However you need to really try a lid on and make sure the shell design fits you mellon right or you will end up with something you hate.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:12 AM   #12
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckholloway View Post
I have lots of helmets one of which is an exo-1000. The scorpion has got to be my favorite out o all 10 lids I have. I fits the best is the most comfortable on long rides and breathes the best also. The only two things I can say on the negative side is that they are a little heavy, and at very high speed (the 1000 anyway) has a tendency to lift. When I say very high speed I mean well over 130mph.

All in all I think they are great lids I don't think a guy can go wrong with them. However you need to really try a lid on and make sure the shell design fits you mellon right or you will end up with something you hate.
Whoa dude. Is that really necessary? I feel like you're screaming at us. I agree 100% with you on the scorpions though.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:43 AM   #13
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
Buy a used shoei .. seriously check ebay
seriously dont buy a used helmet....you cant take that ride.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:06 AM   #14
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I have an EXO-1000 and it's very nice. It's heavy though, and my neck definitely feels it after an hour or so. The EXO-500 might not be as heavy. It just depends on the features it has. The 1000 is heavy because it has the internal sun visor and the air bladder system.
The EXO fit me very tight when I first got it. I normally wear a medium and the EXO medium was a lot smaller than my other helmet, which is a Bell. Over time, though, it has broken in and is comfortable now. I've probably worn it 5 or 6 times, so it didn't take long.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM   #15
DR1300R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Doyle

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Hayabusa 2009 Ninja 250R

I have a EXO 900 and Mary has an EXO 700 both great helmets.. They do however run 1 size smaller.. meaning if you wear a med. buy a large. at least that was our experience..

I too have had several helmets with Scorpion and Shoei being my 2 favorites..

Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:11 PM   #16
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
Buy a used shoei
No. Just because a helmet shows no visible damage, doesn't mean it's protection hasn't been comprimised. Helmets absorb the energy from an impact by essentially crushing the foam inside. If wearing a helmet with crushed foam, you lose all the energy absorbing properties of the helmet, which is instead transfered to your head.

Something as simple as dropping a helmet from a chair (2 feet or so) could affect this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_helmet

Old April 20th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #17
MistahT
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 FZ6R, 2006 Ninja 250, 1977 Suzuki GS550

I've actually daily driven with an EXO-500 for two years now

So, getting that out of the way... my thoughts. After wearing different lids for short periods of time, it's true when one mag said "Like getting a $400 helmet for $200." Really comfy, fits well, very protective, and made with good materials. HJC helmets and a lot of others in a similar price range are noisy and feel flimsy. I also got the air pump to hold my face a little tighter and the drop down internal sun visor. It's a score.

The ONLY complaint I can make is that it doesn't seem to flow air too well when it's hot. I HATE the heat. Mags and websites say it's venting is excellent, so maybe there's just no escaping being hot and sweaty when it's over 90 outside.
MistahT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #18
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

my closeout scorpion 750 was tight at first but broke in nicely.

the everclear visor is pretty nice feature and the vents are well designed.

Old April 20th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

My EXO-750 is a Large and feels larger than my EXO-1000 which is an XL. For that reason I haven't worn the 1000 all that much. That said I do like the quality of the helmets. I don't get weighed down by them at all as some other people have said. My biggest gripe is that on cold days when I close all the vents on the 750 it has a crazy loud whistle above 30 MPH.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #20
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I LOVE my 500!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #21
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

They make awesome helmets. But id stay away from the gloves/jackets the last gloves I had from them fell apart with in the first year of normal riding.
fishdip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #22
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I guess I'm in the minority here, or at least in this thread, when I say that I've never really been impressed with Scorpion helmets. I do own a pair of Scorpion pants that i think are awesome though.

A couple of years back I was looking for a new helmet, and was about to order a new EX-400 online. Had a lot of good reviews, and cool graphics so I thought it had to be an awesome helmet.

Before I bought it though, I went to Iron Pony and tried on some helmets. As soon as I tried on the Scorpion I didn't like it. The shell was huge for a medium and gave me that bobblehead/ astronaut look. It was also heavy. In the end I didn't buy a helmet that day and ordered a helmet that I didn't look at in the store. That was also a mistake.

My advice is to go look at and try some helmets on if you can. I personally like Speed and strength helmets better at that price point. Some people might think I'm crazy, but for the price I think Vega makes a nice helmet.

My newest helmet is an Arai RX-Q, which I bought earlier this year. I realize that a helmet like that is not in everyone's budget, but you really do get what you pay for. The Arai is a level above every other helmet I have looked at or tried on inside and out. The little details make a big difference and it's worth it to have a helmet you like.

Things like how many shell sizes are used to cover the sizes available. The weight, the venting, the aerodynamics are all important. I personally would never own a DOT only helmet, but that's just me.

Wow that was a lot to write. I need to stay off the coffee, or maybe make it not so strong.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #23
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

im sure the exo-400 is snell approved. cant say the same for the 500 tho. that being said i do agree with ur opinion on the 400 but i think the 410 is a step up. that phantom graphic is sexy btw
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #24
LT505
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

I have an EXO-1000 and it seems very well built. Scorpion does a nice job.

And I wouldn't worry too much about buying online if you are buying from one of the big name reputable companies. Most of them have really good return/exchange policies.
LT505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #25
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I used an EXO-400 for a year with no issues other than I got gloss black which was stupid. It's way heavier than my Icon Variant though and it's noticeable. The sizing was weird for me, medium would barely fit on my head and large still felt too small so I got an XL but after being broken in I think it's too big. It feels way bigger than my Icon which almost feels too big now.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote