ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Shimming the windshield and cleaning or painting the exhaust

This is a bit of a twofer...

So one:

My windshield just isn't doing it for me. I'm commuting with my bike and the thing just pumps air into my face/neck/chest. I don't feel like buying yet another mod for my bike, plus the double bubbles on a pre... look stupid (no offense to anyone with one). Can I just shim the thing a bit so it's blasting wind higher? Has anyone tried that yet?

And two:

Like an idiot, I got some what were SUPPOSED to be high heat decals for my pipes.. and they were NOT. They heated up on the first ride, turned pitch black, and damaged the finish on the pipes by the time I got home (I was LIVID). They're 98% gone, but some of the residue won't come off, and from where I was cleaning/scrubbing, I've messed up the chrome quite a bit Even with polish, it looks milky...

Is there anything I can do? Should I just try to cover them with REAL exhaust decals, or should I say screw it and paint them? If so, will any high temp paint do?
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #2
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Bump? No one has experience with either of these things? :/
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Rebel M9tn11
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250, 08 Ninja Zx6r

You could do anything you wan't to the windscreen to try changing the air-flow. As you shim it at an angle your mount screws in the fairing will not be aligned with the shield as you angle it though. So you might have to change the hardware holding it.
Rebel M9tn11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Honestly, I think a double-bubble on a pregen would help it look a lot more like the current gen if you could paint the outer bubble to match the fairings (makes it look like a more modern upper fairing). It would also need new mirrors, turn signals, and a re-shaped headlight.

Edit - Like this except for the mirrors:

Last futzed with by CZroe; May 19th, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #5
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

guy named Hirsch makes manifold paint in spray cans. he's in Brooklyn, N. Y. if you have any probs just post me at my profile i'll get you the color chart and you can pick color. most people use cookout grille black or some high tech **** good to 1800. Hirsch'll go close to 2500 if he bothers with yah. thay ARE new yorkers after all.
Hey, how do you say "**** you" in New York,... "trust me"
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Rebel M9tn11
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250, 08 Ninja Zx6r

Nice idea on painting the double bubble. Honastly Ive always disliked the way it looked but you might be onto something there.
I know my local kawisaki dealer sell's kawi green in a spray can and its some tuff stuff.. I wish my 250 was green for that reason.. Candy blue is a pain to try and match lol. Be so much easier to make parts match! Maybe Ill try it on the girls silver one, lol.

Id like to see a shot of that idea a little more to the side of the bike.
Rebel M9tn11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

You have to watch painting the shield. I've seen a lot of them end up having cracked paint on the shield once its been painted due to whatever they use in the plastic. even with using something like night shades for tinting tail lights.

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #8
shiftdrift06
ninjette.org member

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): None

You can buy high temp paint from autozone/ oreillys.
shiftdrift06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel M9tn11 View Post
Nice idea on painting the double bubble. Honastly Ive always disliked the way it looked but you might be onto something there.
I know my local kawisaki dealer sell's kawi green in a spray can and its some tuff stuff.. I wish my 250 was green for that reason.. Candy blue is a pain to try and match lol. Be so much easier to make parts match! Maybe Ill try it on the girls silver one, lol.

Id like to see a shot of that idea a little more to the side of the bike.
Yeah, I'm sure you wouldn't want it flexing with paint on it but it could still work with the right prep and materials. Heck, maybe even painting vinyl strips would work! Cutting the inner bubble and re-mounting might relieve vibration and wind stress on the painted part if it could be done cleanly.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote