Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Security

I'll probably be getting my Ninja on Friday ( YAY! ) but I don't have any security equipment to keep it safe outside.

So far I'm thinking of getting one of those clamps to go around the disk brake. Apparently you can get alarmed ones that set off when moved.

I'm also thinking of getting a long chain with padlock so I can chain it to a post/tree. I've been told sometimes people turn up in vans and lift the whole bike -- locks and all -- into the back of their van and drive off.

I'll put a cover over it too so it's less conspicuous.

Have you guys got any suggestions?
Have you learnt any security practices through painful experience?
Can you recommend any brands?
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #2
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

best thing for security? Insurance.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3
dp64
ninjette.org member

Name: D.

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Won't a cover make thieves more interested in what you have underneath it? Savages in this town...
dp64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I have a disk lock that I never use, but it's there if I ever get the inkling.

My bike sits in front of my car in my driveway. If someone wants to take it, that's what I have a $100 deductible for comprehensive for.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Get a pregen. Nobody will steal that thing.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #6
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

^lmao
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #7
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

I have a cover that I can lock up, a Vault chain and lock that I use to chain the front wheel to a post holding up my parking spot cover and it's blocked in by my car and the neighbors car. So if they really want my car they have to remove the cover, cut the chain, break the steering lock, and then lift the bike over a very narrow walkway around a gate to roll it into a van. My window is right next to my spot so I might be able to hear something but if they want it that bad then they can have it and I'll just get my insurance to replace it for me

There are other bikes in my apartment complex that aren't covered or locked and my little 250 isn't high on any thief's priority list when there are so many more 600's and higher that are easier to take
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #8
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
aww! Mean. The pre-gens are nice too. I've put my deposit down on a 2011 Ninja - it has had only one owner and only been ridden 350 miles. Shiny!!! That's the problem though... too shiny... the evildoers will be drawn to it like flies to light-bulbs.

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If someone wants your bike, they are going to take it. The only thing that will help you is comprehensive insurance.

Many many years ago my dads bike was stolen. He heard noises and looked out his window to see 4 guys lift his bike up and put it in their truck and drive away. In a situation like that theres really nothing you can do. They will cut through whatever lock you put on the bike or just lift it up and take off the locks later.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #10
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
If someone wants your bike, they are going to take it. The only thing that will help you is comprehensive insurance.

Many many years ago my dads bike was stolen. He heard noises and looked out his window to see 4 guys lift his bike up and put it in their truck and drive away. In a situation like that theres really nothing you can do. They will cut through whatever lock you put on the bike or just lift it up and take off the locks later.
The bad thing with insurance is that you still have to pay your deductible to get everything taken care of

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
a low deductible will add about $5-$10 per year so you can just get the $100 deductible.
AFM #676

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
aww! Mean. The pre-gens are nice too. I've put my deposit down on a 2011 Ninja - it has had only one owner and only been ridden 350 miles. Shiny!!! That's the problem though... too shiny... the evildoers will be drawn to it like flies to light-bulbs.
For the record, I owned a pregen. One of the best features was that I could've left the damn thing running in a parking lot and nobody would've taken it. Not that I actually tested this theory, mind you....cuz that would just be stupid.

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #13
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Based on your comments and my research I'm thinking of using this setup:

Theft insurance.

A bike cover so opportunistic thieves don't spot it.

Leave the steering locked. That's built into a 2011 250r right?

A disk lock with an alarm. I figure this is a minor deterrent, but will also (hopefully) alert me if someone is stealing my bike outside my house so I can dial 999 (it's the British 911). The XENA XZZ6 ALARMED DISK LOCK looks ok to me.

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #14
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
For the record, I owned a pregen. One of the best features was that I could've left the damn thing running in a parking lot and nobody would've taken it. Not that I actually tested this theory, mind you....cuz that would just be stupid.
I feel sad for your pre-gen... the ugly duckling. Hope you looked after him/her, all the same!

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Based on your comments and my research I'm thinking of using this setup:

Theft insurance.

A bike cover so opportunistic thieves don't spot it.

Leave the steering locked. That's built into a 2011 250r right?

A disk lock with an alarm. I figure this is a minor deterrent, but will also (hopefully) alert me if someone is stealing my bike outside my house so I can dial 999 (it's the British 911). The XENA XZZ6 ALARMED DISK LOCK looks ok to me.
Yes the steering lock is standard. Locking the steering will prevent thieves from rolling your bike up a ramp into a truck.

If you have a garage I suggest clearing out a space to park your bike.
AFM #676

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #16
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I got the best deterrant of all. Scratched up fairing. Low sided my bike last year and scratched my fairing all to hell. I haven't fixed it because a) remindes me not to be stupid and b) who wants to steal a scratched up 250?

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #17
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Yes the steering lock is standard. Locking the steering will prevent thieves from rolling your bike up a ramp into a truck.

If you have a garage I suggest clearing out a space to park your bike.
I don't have a garage. I do have a wide selection of parking spaces to choose from though! I live in a cul de sac road. I can either park the bike behind my apartment so it's not visible simply by driving down the road, or I can park it somewhere visible from the road. I'm thinking of going with the latter. If I park it behind my apartment then it's completely out of site of everyone - thieves could comfortably sit there for hours slowly and careful stealing it without so much as having to look over their shoulder. If I park it under a plastic cover but in full view of the street then they would be more conscious of being seen and thus stealing it wouldn't be so easy.

Do you think that's a reasonable assessment?

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I don't have a garage. I do have a wide selection of parking spaces to choose from though! I live in a cul de sac road. I can either park the bike behind my apartment so it's not visible simply by driving down the road, or I can park it somewhere visible from the road. I'm thinking of going with the latter. If I park it behind my apartment then it's completely out of site of everyone - thieves could comfortably sit there for hours slowly and careful stealing it without so much as having to look over their shoulder. If I park it under a plastic cover but in full view of the street then they would be more conscious of being seen and thus stealing it wouldn't be so easy.

Do you think that's a reasonable assessment?
No one is going to see you at 3am
AFM #676

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #19
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Just get comprehensive insurance with a low deductible and don't even worry about it.

My bigger fear is someone damaging it to hell rather than someone taking it.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
Just get comprehensive insurance with a low deductible and don't even worry about it.

My bigger fear is someone damaging it to hell rather than someone taking it.
Good thing comprehensive covers vandalism as well!
AFM #676

Old July 18th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #21
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Couldn't they just use a ramp that twirls around, up and into the van!

Old July 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #22
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I too have been looking into security and info about stolen bikes. My dealership had this thing where they installed it in your bike for like five/six-hundred bucks, then you payed a monthly fee of x-amount of dollars. It's a silent alarm system and it has a built in GPS. Basically from what I understood is, you set a parameter around your bike (Not sure how, I assume through text or with the keys) and if your bike is ever moved out that parameter, it will automatically send texts and emails every like 2 minutes telling you where your bike is going. So you can call the police and tell them exactly where.

Sadly, from what I understand, bikes are stolen a lot and when reported to the police, we go to the bottom of the priority list compared to stolen cars. (Such a shame).

+1 on the insurance. A ninja is 5000, 6000 at absolute most, so its easy to replace with theft insurance (from what I understand).
+1 on the disc brakes too. Locks dont always work, but if it were your locked bike, compared to an unlocked bike, the chances of the unlocked bike being stolen are more high.

I plan on either getting this: Click Here To View. Which is what I told you with the GPS and all. This was pointed out by another member to me and I really like it. I wont get it until my bike is all super sexy with mods and all though. Click here to see the post where the person explains really what this does.

Or, My less expensive option may be me getting this: Click here to view the Gorilla Cycle Alarm. It's your basic alarm but with some perks. it has a two way pager, you alarm goes off, the key thing that comes with it goes off. It'll display a picture letting you know if your bike was bumped, if the heat sensor went off, if the tilt sensor went off, ect. I really like it. It's no GPS but even sound can be a deterrent.

And remember there's always other things you can do to secure your bike. Park in well lit areas, and avoid the areas where the street lamp is out. Park (when possible) where the most traffic is. If your at the store, try parking closer to the front since everyone has to walk to the front anyways. The chances of seeing your bike being lifted into a van will increase the closer it is to people. Parking lots with security are better then parking lots without it (obviously.)

Every little thing can deter the average thief. Making it harder for them makes it less of an appealing steal. But like I've heard on this forum many times before, If they really want it, they'll take it. So the insurance is your absolute best best to give you peace in mind.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Couldn't they just use a ramp that twirls around, up and into the van!
If you are parked between two cars though, they wouldnt even be able to get it out
AFM #676

Old July 18th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #24
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
If you are parked between two cars though, they wouldnt even be able to get it out
there's a video on youtube of some guy getting his bike stolen from his apartment complex and it looks like it's between two cars...so it's possible

my method isn't impossible either just very difficult to do without being noisy and without needing two very strong guys at the least to take it

it's all about piece of mind and knowing that you have insurance on it to take care of it in case something bad does happen...

if you live in a great neighborhood and you don't feel worried at all then you don't need anything. My neighborhood can be sketchy sometimes so what I have now makes me feel better at night when I'm sleeping and during the day when my wife goes somewhere and moves her car which is what was blocking my bike

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #25
Flashmonkey

Stealing a bike is remarkably easy, guys. Two fairly strong guys on either end and that thing is gone. Especially a 250, seeing as how it's quite light.

There's no real way to guarantee the safety of your bike. The best you can do is to be as smart as you can about where you leave it.

Also, park next to ducatis. They tend to go first.

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #26
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

I'm practically shitting bricks in fear of bringing my 250 to college this August, but last year I could barely afford the commute back and forth in my car. The best thing I have is a 100$ deductible on my comp. insurance, but that wont replace the time I've spent on the bike, and probably will hardly cover the cost.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #27
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
I'm practically shitting bricks in fear of bringing my 250 to college this August, but last year I could barely afford the commute back and forth in my car. The best thing I have is a 100$ deductible on my comp. insurance, but that wont replace the time I've spent on the bike, and probably will hardly cover the cost.
My school has 80 dedicated motorcycle parking spots. Just park in front of the campus police or something
AFM #676

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #28
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

+1 on the insurance.

If you do get a disc brake lock, consider one of these guys:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8D4V04FF88DHVA

It goes from the lock up to your handlebar so that you remember to take the lock off before trying to ride away. Don't ask me why I recommend this.

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #29
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Quote:
My school has 80 dedicated motorcycle parking spots. Just park in front of the campus police or something
Mine only has dedicated cycle parking for commuters, it's lame.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #30
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
I think you guys are right about insurance being the #1 thing to rely on and that if thieves really do want your bike they will take it.

Thatcham is a popular security product-rating company in the UK that insurers often rely on to judge the quality of the security products. Check out this video

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #31
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

When I bought my bike it had a 2 way-paging gorilla motorcycle alarm on it. My keys sit on my night stand but if anyone sits, moves tilts ect the alarm goes off and the keys go off like an alarm clock.

this is the one on my bike it is loud and works well. admittedly I rarely use it since my bike is garaged but it might work for you over a chain or disc lock
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #32
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

+1 on insurance.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 06:51 AM   #33
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

Honestly a tarp over a bike is less conspicuous than a motorcycle cover. Especially if it's sitting in a parking spot.

There's someone near me that parks their bike against the building with a tarp over it. It may not be sun/weatherproof but it looks like a bunch of tools or something.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:42 AM   #34
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

If you do want a security system, go here
http://internatrix.com/oscommerce/ca...c2be6125a0c287
There significantly cheaper then most, and perform better...
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #35
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Bumping this thread up. My bike alarm went off for the first time and I jumped up and out ready to kick some ass. Looked outside and no one was around so I'm thinking a cat must've got on it or something.

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #36
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Quote:
Ugh, it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Bumping this thread up. My bike alarm went off for the first time and I jumped up and out ready to kick some ass. Looked outside and no one was around so I'm thinking a cat must've got on it or something.
I'd lose a lot of sleep over that. Stay sharp.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #37
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I've got a disc lock alarm for mine. It's pretty loud: 120db. The bike is near my bedroom window, so I might be able to scare off anyone who tries to steal it. Not sure how much of a good idea it is for me to confront someone though - probably better to just call the police straight away and bang on the window. I've deliberately parked the bike in view of lots of my neighbours houses too, so if anyone works on stealing it, they'll probably get lots of attention from all the people they're annoying by setting the alarm off.

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #38
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
I've got a disc lock alarm for mine. It's pretty loud: 120db. The bike is near my bedroom window, so I might be able to scare off anyone who tries to steal it. Not sure how much of a good idea it is for me to confront someone though - probably better to just call the police straight away and bang on the window. I've deliberately parked the bike in view of lots of my neighbours houses too, so if anyone works on stealing it, they'll probably get lots of attention from all the people they're annoying by setting the alarm off.
I think your a bit over dramatic with the security, first ask yourself "is my neighborhood all in all a good one to live in?"

second ask yourself "do i have insurance?"

If you answer yes to especially the second one then stop worrying.

I live in a townhouse complex and out of 4 cars (not some old rusted out civics) and 2 bikes none have gotten touched.
It's a mental thing.
If they do, ohwell insurance can buy you something new.

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #39
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
I think your a bit over dramatic with the security, first ask yourself "is my neighborhood all in all a good one to live in?"

second ask yourself "do i have insurance?"

If you answer yes to especially the second one then stop worrying.

I live in a townhouse complex and out of 4 cars (not some old rusted out civics) and 2 bikes none have gotten touched.
It's a mental thing.
If they do, ohwell insurance can buy you something new.
I don't feel worried at all. I just think it's sensible to secure your bike. Security is just a practical problem where you assess the threat and assess the vulnerabilities and then create a solution.

I sense you have the attitude that because you haven't had any of your machines touched, then they will never be touched. That's fallacious reasoning. Hopefully you don't apply that same general reasoning to bike safety. Just because incident X hasn't occurred then you don't need to be concerned with incident X occurring. One of the benefits of being human is that we can simulate in our minds potential future occurences. We can then take action based on those simulations to gain an advantage. Based on what I've read, I've simulated in my mind how a theft of my bike might occur and how best to alleviate those threats. I do the same for safe riding. I simulate threats in my mind then think about how to avoid them.

I don't live in a bad neighbourhood, but things from my neighbourhood do get stolen. I've had a bicycle stolen from outside my house before.

I do have theft insurance. I think it's essential to have that.

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #40
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
I don't feel worried at all. I just think it's sensible to secure your bike. Security is just a practical problem where you assess the threat and assess the vulnerabilities and then create a solution.

I sense you have the attitude that because you haven't had any of your machines touched, then they will never be touched. That's fallacious reasoning. Hopefully you don't apply that same general reasoning to bike safety. Just because incident X hasn't occurred then you don't need to be concerned with incident X occurring. One of the benefits of being human is that we can simulate in our minds potential future occurences. We can then take action based on those simulations to gain an advantage. Based on what I've read, I've simulated in my mind how a theft of my bike might occur and how best to alleviate those threats. I do the same for safe riding. I simulate threats in my mind then think about how to avoid them.

I don't live in a bad neighbourhood, but things from my neighbourhood do get stolen. I've had a bicycle stolen from outside my house before.

I do have theft insurance. I think it's essential to have that.
I have, our cars have been broken into and I have had a pair of 1500$ subs stolen...which was a bad loss for me.

With over using these "simulations" you are talking about is called over-worrying and isn't good for people when used in excess. Any psychologist will tell you that.
Because they go into the theory of how when your brain starts elaborating of of one bad thought it will keep getting worst. Just like drugs, when your under the influence off of a hallucinogenic and start freaking out you will go deeper into that state of mind.

So it's good to worry, but the way you wrote it with the excessive visualizations made it "over-worrying."
It's like for people who love to splurge at casino's, they'll think it's alright to do it a few times and keep telling themselves and soon there is a mental problem called gambling.

Last futzed with by blink; September 11th, 2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: wrong vocab which didn't make sense
blink is offline   Reply With Quote