ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

How do you guys keep your calipers clean?!

I bought brake cleaner, followed the instructions, and really flooded everything. The exposed parts of my pistons still look charred black and the caliper housing still has all kinds of crap in the casted surface texture. It doesn't look any cleaner. I saw The Duck brag about how clean he keeps his in a video where he changed his pads, so I'm going to go bug him too.

Do I need to get a toothbrush or something?!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Ever try blowing with air hose prior to brake cleaner?

Brake dust just blow off sometimes.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:48 PM   #3
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

For the caliper I would use a red scotchbrite pad to get them cleaned up, and it gives a nice brushed look. They also make them drill mounted which turns it into a 5 minute job.
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Ja View Post
Ever try blowing with air hose prior to brake cleaner?

Brake dust just blow off sometimes.
It's black crap embedded into the surface texture and the pistons themselves don't even wipe clean.

I figured I weas just doing it wrong when I see other high-mileage 250s with bright, clean, calipers and I can empty a can of brake cleaner on it and see no improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickadolph View Post
For the caliper I would use a red scotchbrite pad to get them cleaned up, and it gives a nice brushed look. They also make them drill mounted which turns it into a 5 minute job.
I'll try it. Thanks! I don't want to score the pistons though so I'm guessing I just need to break out a toothbrush for that the next time I change my pads.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i ask cazper this question everytime i see his bike

Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Haha if you actually ride your bike, then the calipers are the hardest things to keep clean. The only real way to clean them to "super clean" levels would be to take them apart and soak them in kerosene or something.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 05:15 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
or clean them every day... there's a guy that took his gsxr1000 to work everyday at my last job (well... he was actually a s/he... well... it was a guy but he dressed like a woman, wore high heeled red boots, womens clothes/leathers, makeup, long ponytail and recently got breast implants... kinda a scary concept to me... anyway) every day after he arrived he would sit there cleaning his wheels and calipers... they were spotless. for some reason though he didn't ever do anything about the scratches on his plastics

Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
or clean them every day... there's a guy that took his gsxr1000 to work everyday at my last job (well... he was actually a s/he... well... it was a guy but he dressed like a woman, wore high heeled red boots, womens clothes/leathers, makeup, long ponytail and recently got breast implants... kinda a scary concept to me... anyway) every day after he arrived he would sit there cleaning his wheels and calipers... they were spotless. for some reason though he didn't ever do anything about the scratches on his plastics
Plastics are a PITA to keep clean.

Anyway, I've seen bikes in this type of condition as well. I have no idea how they have the patience for that sort of business, but more power to them...I guess.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #9
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I ride everyday but leave the cleaning for Sunday afternoon. It stays pretty spotless unless it gets dusty.

As for the pistons, I used fine steel wool. It won't hurt the stainless piston.

For the caliper I use brake kleen and a toothbrush if needed. Then I just wipe em down with a rag to finish.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #10
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

What about spraying WD-40 on a cloth and wiping?

Old July 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

brake cleaner is useless without rubbing or brushing, especially if the brake dust and road grime has become baked on after months of neglect. The best thing to do is rub or scrub the area while the brake cleaner is still wet. Also a good degreaser like simple green helps as well. Remember to rinse well.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
What about spraying WD-40 on a cloth and wiping?
I wouldn't want lube near my brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
brake cleaner is useless without rubbing or brushing, especially if the brake dust and road grime has become baked on after months of neglect. The best thing to do is rub or scrub the area while the brake cleaner is still wet. Also a good degreaser like simple green helps as well. Remember to rinse well.
Well, I was following the instructing which kinda said that you just flood the surface to clean it, as if it would just eat through. I figured that it might melt nylon bristles or eat through rags or something.

Old July 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #13
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Ever hear the term elbow grease? Yes use a rag, toothbrush or some other soft bristle brush, soft scotchbrite, etc. You can't just spray on a cleaner and expect it to clean them for you. Is that how you wash your car or windows?
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Ever hear the term elbow grease? Yes use a rag, toothbrush or some other soft bristle brush, soft scotchbrite, etc. You can't just spray on a cleaner and expect it to clean them for you. Is that how you wash your car or windows?
I used elbow grease before buying the cleaner and then I specifically followed the directions on the cleaner, which implied that that was exactly how (flooding it without touching it) to prevent contamination.

Old July 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #15
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I used elbow grease before buying the cleaner and then I specifically followed the directions on the cleaner, which implied that that was exactly how (flooding it without touching it) to prevent contamination.
Well I wouldn't recommend touching it with your hands as it's not very good for you. But let it soak into the grime before wiping clean. Might take a few applications.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote