ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 4th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #1
afroman10
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Stock Tires and Leaning

Hello, I have a 2010 Ninja 250r with those so-called "sucky" stock IRC tires.

I've been recently trying to lean down to the knee, but I don't trust these tires too much. According to what I read on the internet, the tires are not such good for fast cornering, etc...

Does anyone have any experience with these tires. Has anyone successfully leaned on them?

I would also like a recommendation on the new tires for next season. I will not change them this year since they're brand new and I'm still learning on the bike.
afroman10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Name: Dr. Ew

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250

I got it down to less than a 1/4 of chicken strips on the stocks. Some parts is scrubbed to the edge. Holds up pretty good i say. Just good throttle control, know when its ok based on road conditions, and a whole lot of other things to concider before getting a knee down. Be safe n have fun.
Dr. Ew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

My friend Mat (caps on here) has leaned all the way to the edge of the stock tires. I believe a few others have as well. I am starting to get there. I noticed when I was first riding, when I would lean it felt a little unstable. Now I have learned that that was me, not the tires. What was making it unstable was my uncertainty while I was leaned over.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #4
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Joseph how do u over come this issue?? I have been having the same issue and i am thinking it is me not the tires. I havnt been able to get out onto the track yet tho did that make a big difference for you when being leaned over?

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #5
afroman10
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I don't really want to lean to the edge of it, just so much I can scratch my knee pad.
afroman10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #6
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

As Joesph says, cap I believe showed pics of his chicken strips on the irc's which made the light go off in my head, that these tires may not be as bad as I thought and that's when I started practicing more.

Still not down to the chicken strips yet, but that's more my form on bike, as I usually don't ride aggressive enough to need to move around on seat, much less far enough to get knee out and down.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

I haven't been on the track either. I was able to just gradually lean over more due to some of the roads I have been riding. Also riding with others has helped. My commute has a couple of sharp turns at reasonable speeds, so I just increment up a little each time. As I have grown more comfortable with the bike in general, I have gained more confidence, and I have also found that not being so stiff on the bike lessens the effect that any little niggles or squirmyness affects in my confidence in turns. Now I am not saying you can just go all out and lay the sucker over in a 90mph turn, but I was pretty nervous at first, and things have gotten a lot easier as the more miles have gotten under my belt.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #8
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
As Joesph says, cap I believe showed pics of his chicken strips on the irc's which made the light go off in my head, that these tires may not be as bad as I thought and that's when I started practicing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
My friend Mat (caps on here) has leaned all the way to the edge of the stock tires. I believe a few others have as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
here's mine;

Last futzed with by caps; August 4th, 2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added pictures
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #9
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

You can drag knees with the stock tires. It isn't what id call confidence inspiring, though it is possible. I have several times. I'm stuck with 1/4" chicken strips on the darn things though. I also ground off my peg feelers.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #10
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

My stock tires are worn across the whole surface, and I haven't had any moments where I would say I was honestly concerned about them breaking loose. Just keep within your comfort level and soon enough you will look at them and notice your chicken strips are gone.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #11
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I have scraped pegs on the stock irc's a few times before and I didn't feel as though they would simply slide out. I can't say yet how uneasy they feel because I haven't ridden on any other tires yet; that should change considering my tires need to be replaced soon. I can say that riding in wet conditions definitely made me feel less comfortable on the irc's but I'd consider that feeling to be there with any tire. From what I've heard; the general consensus is that the stock irc's aren't as grippy as most aftermarket tires.

Old August 5th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #12
neldy
ninjette.org member

Name: \(O.o)/

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250 Ninja

The bike and tires are more than capable of getting that low. Plus when you are dragging your knee, your body position is completely different, you're 'hanging' off the bike whilst turning thus lowering your body to the ground allowing you to scrape your knee. Which means the effective lean of the bike isn't as much as you might think.

Pic example 1.

As you're new, I would highly advise against going out with the aim of trying to drag your knee... Walk before you run...

Last futzed with by neldy; August 5th, 2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: clarification
neldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #13
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

i scraped my pegs and boots tonight...stock irc's ....first time on twisties too....i need more practice, but i think i did good for my first time
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #14
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
i scraped my pegs and boots tonight...stock irc's ....first time on twisties too....i need more practice, but i think i did good for my first time
It starts with the pegs and boots- then the knee comes next- naturally of course...don't force it!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
cazper runs stock IRCs and smokes other bikes like it's nobodys business. i laugh when i see people say you can't do such and such with an IRC. it's not the tire, it's the rider.

Old August 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #16
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I've heard more bad stories about IRCs than good ones...maybe IRC doesn't stand for.......

I'm
Ready to
Crash
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #17
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i laugh when i see people say you can't do such and such with an IRC. it's not the tire, it's the rider.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that...
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #18
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I would say the IRCs aren't as crappy as they are made out to be, but they aren't great either. I've scrapped my pegs and exhaust cover and stuff. They did fine but other tires give a little more confidence. Other bikes I rode with the bt-016s and such just felt ready to take a turn with ease. I don't get that feeling from the IRC. But all in all they aren't to bad but there are a lot of better tire choices.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #19
skullzyer
ninjette.org newbie

Name: J.

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I've lowsided on IRC's in a very sharp turn at not so high speed. Damage is minimal though.
skullzyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #20
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neldy View Post
As you're new, I would highly advise against going out with the aim of trying to drag your knee... Walk before you run...
Or like they say, drag your pegs first before your knees
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #21
neldy
ninjette.org member

Name: \(O.o)/

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Indeed. I guess I was trying to say that you shouldn't go out and try get your knee/pegs on the ground before you are comfortable to do so. Take it slow and it will come eventually.

I remember the first time I got the pegs on the ground, i'm glad there was no on coming traffic around the corner because I thought I was falling off. With the sound it made and the feeling thru my feet I stood it up and went into the other lane of traffic.
neldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #22
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
that's a bad saying, don't subscribe

Old August 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #23
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
that's a bad saying, don't subscribe
+1
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #24
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

After doing the tail of the dragon on stock IRC's and keeping up w/ 3-4 better riders all w non stock rubber...I'd say they work pretty damn well.

They lost me around more technical turns, but that was probably more me thing than the actual tires.

Just get the IRC's nice and warm, either about 10-15 miles easy riding or what I do is hard accel/decel few times, to heat em up faster.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #25
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
+1
+2

I came to the conclusion that I dragged pegs when I first started riding because I didn't have good body position for the speed I was going. It's relatively easy to drag your pegs (or knees) if you're all crossed up trying to get the bike as low as possible. I'm still fighting that habit...I don't get out on the track often enough (couple times a year) so I have to consciously move my head and torso off the centerline of the bike the first few laps. Now, having good body position and dragging knees is a different story altogether.

That's not to say that I wasn't excited as hell the first time I felt the puck scrape along the ground, no matter how much I was stretching my leg out to get there
krakatak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #26
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

And to the original question. I haven't ridden my 250 really aggressively yet, but I didn't like the feel of the IRC's even around town. I was used to BT-016's on my 636, and the IRC's just didn't inspire any confidence. Had BT-003rs's on there within 2 weeks, and so far they feel like glue.
krakatak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #27
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

Scraped pegs and my boots today for the first time with my 10,000 mile IRCS (felt awesome lol). I agree with what krakatak said, about body position. Ive taken that perticular turn quicker before with better body position :\ (still felt good ) As for the IRCs, once you let them sit out here in the summer heat they stick real good and are kinda soft to the touch Dont have any experience on any other tires though...
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote