ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 26th, 2017, 06:42 AM   #1
geekonabike
bicycle & moto guy

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 250r

No Crank, Electrical Problem - Solved

I parked a running 2004 250r <- my mistake, now know its a ex250, a week later got no power/12v to starter relay.
all fuses are good. Cranks starter if jumpered across solenoid. Bought a used junction box & a after market solenoid. no combo of the later made any difference. With key on neutral led & oil light up, also tail light & turns. On junction box all fuse socketts are hot. All fuses are good. I get 12v to 1 pin in ignition module, but I'm unsure if the ignition is actually firing (one thing at a time).
Right hand Kill switch has No power & even jumpered 12v from battery + it still does not get 12v to the starter button.
I don't really want to buy and OEM Junction box to find out that's not the issue, but I may have to go there unless some one has another ideal for me to try.

Last futzed with by geekonabike; August 27th, 2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: problem Solved
geekonabike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2017, 06:53 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Welcome to the board, Mike! Have you checked the side stand and clutch lever interlocks?

The kill switch just sends 12v to the starter button, so if you're jumpering 12v to the kill switch and it won't send 12v to the starter button, something is wrong inside that housing or with the 4-pin connector that jumpers the 12v. Here is the wiring diagram for the starter part of the system:
Attached Images
File Type: png ex250_starter_circuit.png (556.6 KB, 18 views)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #3
geekonabike
bicycle & moto guy

My bad, title says its a ex250

Thanks Triple. That's what the schematic I'm working from shows to Jim, but there is no 4 pin connector on the right hand throttle/switches. Switches are wired into wiring harness & no continuity between the two of them anywhere open or closed.
Took out the sidestand switch years ago by unplugging it & reconnecting the harness side to itself. I'm assuming the neutral safety switch is working because I can make the light go out by shifting in to gear. I also tried temperately shorting the clutch lever switch to no effect.
If you know of a link or have a ex250 wiring schematic I'd luv to see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1239.jpg (66.8 KB, 4 views)

Old August 26th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

The 4-pin plug may be farther down the harness, I haven't looked for it. The diagram I posted shows power from the battery going through the fuse and on to the ignition switch via a white wire. Then out the yellow wire of the ignition switch to the yellow/red of the kill switch. Then out the kill switch on the red wire and back in to the starter switch on one of the black/red wires. Then out the other black/red wire to the black wire of the junction box, where it powers the starter relay. If that relay doesn't click and send power to the starter solenoid, it shouldn't be hard to use a meter or test light to trace that path and see where the 12v stops.

The full wiring diagram is in the Kawasaki "supplemental manual", and probably also in the "base manual."

Old August 26th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #5
geekonabike
bicycle & moto guy

looks like I am looking a an Ex schematic

I'll look for a connector, but I really don't think there is one. I bought safety pins today & even though I'd rather not. I'll be using wires for pin cushions.
Do you think a bad ignition module could be the problem? Trying to get a read on the schematic the best I can tell is "Maybe".

Old August 26th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #6
geekonabike
bicycle & moto guy

I was wrong again

It feels like a connector about the right size tight up underneath the gas tank. I'll pull the tank in the morning & let you know what the meter says. It well could be my whole problem.

Last futzed with by geekonabike; August 27th, 2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: claification

Old August 26th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Not cranking doesn't have anything to do with the ignition module. It's not even shown in the starter circuit diagram above.

Old August 27th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #8
geekonabike
bicycle & moto guy

Packrats had severed several wires going into said connector. Got it up & running until I cranked the handlebars too hard & must have pulled loose my wirenut/electrical tape splice.
I'll solder them this time. thanks Triple Jim

Old August 27th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Good deal, Mike.