ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:29 PM   #41
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 1000 - 2011, Ninja H2 SX SE - 2018

Hum, I don't have any pics, put its pretty much just a bridge type setup that I tap into with the BM taillights.

how did you do yours? did u splice your turn signals and tapped onto them?
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM   #42
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

No splicing, I traced the turn signals to the black and gray harness connectors

Disconnected them, and removed the green wire from the male part and inserted the blue or yellow wires in their place.

Reconnected the parts, with the ground wire leading to the turn signal and the yellow and blue wires leading back to the tail light,
obviously the stock signals won't work this way but it was the only way i could figure out how to do it.

I'm about to leave for work, but i'll be on my mobile device, please stand by if you have the time. i'll post pictures later tonight.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM   #43
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

hum, i think i figured it out..

imma go down and take some pics of how it should be. you should be needing any extra ground, the light takes its ground from the socket you removed your bulb from.

the black/yellow wire in both the black and gray male connectors should be free and not have anything plugged to them.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM   #44
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

stock hot wires out, bm hot wires in, reconnect.

in addition to plugging in the tail light wires into the back of the bmlight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1355.jpg (42.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1361.jpg (59.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1364.jpg (84.1 KB, 27 views)

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM   #45
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

i ordered the connectors that i should need, am i going to need any spare wires, because im having a hard time visualizing how you have the stock signals and the bm light wired

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:08 PM   #46
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Well, this looks ok. With a proper relay everything should work fine..

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #47
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

yeah, your gonna need some spare wire. ill show u pics, I ordered a few more connectors and i should receive them soon. Ill take pics and post.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:18 PM   #48
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

but you don't need the connectors to make it work, I am doing it as an extension to the wires and to facilitate installation.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM   #49
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

The connectors are necessary to keep it plug and play, correct? What wires will I need?
Posted via Mobile Device
DarkNinja52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM   #50
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
Youre not butting in at all, i need all the help i can get, trust me. I appreciate it. kinda hard to tell what you did in your pictures. For mine I just wired the yellow and blue wires to where the turn signals have the connectors under the seat.
Essentially I ran the integrated tail light blinkers lines such that they followed the stock wiring from the inside of the tail all the way to the stock light bulbs: down out of the tail section through the wiring port, through the stalk on the stock signals and joined up with the stock wiring connector where it plugs into the light bulb socket on the back of the reflector. Things may be a tidbit more confusing due to the fender chop that was done a long time ago. Sorry about the lack of color contrast in the photos, they were taken around midnight with just the flash for lighting. If you're interested, I can try for better pics tonight or tomorrow.

Some stranded 22 gauge wire should do you just fine, for extending the BM signal wires a bit if you need to.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM   #51
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

The setup I have doesn't seem to work properly as you saw in the video, I'm assuming it's re relay. I'll check the specs when I get home
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM   #52
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Better pics when you can would be awesome. Don't go out of your way though, I really appreciate all the help
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM   #53
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthechron View Post
hum, i think i figured it out..

imma go down and take some pics of how it should be. you should be needing any extra ground, the light takes its ground from the socket you removed your bulb from.

the black/yellow wire in both the black and gray male connectors should be free and not have anything plugged to them.
any pics? im really curious of how you did this? and how you have a free space in the connectors where the black/yellow wires are. im really pretty stumped and its driving me crazy

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:17 PM   #54
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
any pics? im really curious of how you did this? and how you have a free space in the connectors where the black/yellow wires are. im really pretty stumped and its driving me crazy
from what i saw in the pics, everything seems to be ok. i dont wanna get you confused or anything.

Er, btw, i meant "you *shouldn't* be needing any extra ground"

how did I let that slip...you seem to have it connected correctly.

buy whether or not you have the relay installed, the always on light should come on.

does the brake light work?

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:19 PM   #55
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

The brake light works, everything from the video still stands, i dont understand why it works with the stock relay, I also don't understand how you were able to connect the stock signals so they work as well

and the diode seems to be installed correctly, so i have no idea what else could be affecting it

im sure you would have much rather had me buy everything from you and not have to deal with my issues now lol, i really appreciate the help though, and for me half the fun is learning how to do these things, everything i learn here can be applied towards so many other applications in life if not soon than sometime somewhere... one day..

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM   #56
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

ok, im gonna shower then attempt to take a pic, thing is, I have a temporary setup now.. so the actual oem connectors are not installed. but you'll see the concept, relay easy

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:33 PM   #57
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

argh, i hope you don't mind, but ill go this tomorrow, i should get to bed, i have class at 7 am and its 12:30 :S

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM   #58
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Not a problem.

The specs on my electronic flasher 12V says
"input lead must be fused, max 20AMPS, Made in Taiwan"

Im not sure what i need or what the hell is even going on anymore

Old March 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #59
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

20A @ 12V. I have the same relay when I used my stock turn signals in combination with this. It won't work if you have mostly LEDs. If you hookup stock signals, everything should work with this relay.

Old March 4th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #60
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

so what should i upgrade to?

Old March 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #61
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

the only thing i could think of would to be
taking the connectors for the rear signals with the green and black wires and removing the green wire from the male part in exchange for another wire that ends with two wires plugged into a second connector, like the one you gave a picture of, and then from the male part of that connector haveing one wire to the stock signal (green) and one wire to the tail light (blue or yellow)?

Edit: i attached a picture, does this even make sense? and am i allowed to separated a wire into two like that?
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (8.8 KB, 39 views)

Old March 4th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #62
Momaru

A little confusing, but the picture ties it together nicely. Unfortunately you'd still need a ground for the stock flasher in place so it's not exactly that simple, but that's the idea. I edited your pic to include the ground for the stock light that would bypass your splice connector. Your idea should work just fine though.

Untitled.png

That's a clean enough solution I may just switch over to that if I get some freetime; the wiring port going to the outside of the bike via undertail is getting a little crowded.

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #63
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
A little confusing, but the picture ties it together nicely. Unfortunately you'd still need a ground for the stock flasher in place so it's not exactly that simple, but that's the idea. I edited your pic to include the ground for the stock light that would bypass your splice connector. Your idea should work just fine though.

Attachment 5937

That's a clean enough solution I may just switch over to that if I get some freetime; the wiring port going to the outside of the bike via undertail is getting a little crowded.
Jon mentioned the stock didn't need a ground wire because theyll share the bm grounding? or that the ground wire connection was left empty? either way, the stock has a black ground wire already which i left out because of jons comment, so it shouldnt be a problem.

what do you think the best way is to turn that 1 wire into two? are there 1 - 2 wire connectors that would make it nice and clean? because to literally separate the wire into two would be a terrible idea, adn to splice a second wire into there would just be messy

edit: this required purchasing a two more sets of connectors like the ones john posted. I'm still very curious to see how jon did this..

Last futzed with by DarkNinja52; March 4th, 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: -h

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #64
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

The stock does need a ground. The BM doesn't.

I'm making something in paint as we speak, maybe this will help

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #65
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

This way you will have stock signals working.

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #66
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
That makes tooo much sense lol, how exactly are the yellow and blue connected into the connectors in addition to the green hot wires? they dont fit right in there also do they???

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #67
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Well i stuffed them in for demonstration purposes, but when the OEM connectors arrive, ill have a whole plug and play setup. You can cut the trip off the BM wires and splice them into the appropriate wires.. but hum wait till you recieve your connectors.

Just got my new turn signals. Take a look.

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #68
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Well i stuffed them in for demonstration purposes, but when the OEM connectors arrive, ill have a whole plug and play setup.

Just got my new turn signals. Take a look.

sweet signals, interesting shape

any chance you could do a paint job for the plug and play set up with the oem connectors lol, idk how i feel about "stuffing" the bm wires into the connectors lol I got some connectors on the way as well , wish i had ordered some for my protons so I could plug and play those bad boys and be able to undo it all if necessary, but instead i had to cut the stockers off.

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #69
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Ok, ill do one tomorrow, gotta get some rest now. ill draw up something tomorrow, you'll see, its pretty simple and it'll all make sense.

Do you have a soldering iron?

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #70
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Ok, ill do one tomorrow, gotta get some rest now. ill draw up something tomorrow, you'll see, its pretty simple and it'll all make sense.

Yup, i have a soldering iron. i gota pick up a new relay tmw, anythign else i should grab while im out? 22 gauge wire?

Old March 4th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #71
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

ide get 16 gauge, make sure the flasher is for LEDs, the ratings should be pretty low.. mine says 10W on it. compared to 20A, which is about 260W @ 12v...

Old March 4th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #72
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

k cooll, i gota study for a midterm i have tmw at 11, then im off to autozone and radioshack! i hate going to both those places bc i always end up getting things i dont necessarily need.. or need now atleast..

Old March 7th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #73
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

any chance i can see exactly how you do this?

if i cant seem to get this to work ill prob buy a tail light from your group buy on the other site, but i want to make sure its something I can't do first considering how I believe i have most of what i need already. and that I have the smoke light as opposed to the clear and would love to stick with the smoke one.

also, what kind of flasher relay do you provide with your kit?

Old March 11th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #74
Momaru

Quote:
oh and, why isn't your red light coming on?
Incidentally I took a look at my rear flasher the other day first real good look after the Diode mod. I noticed my BM tail doesn't alterate red-amber for the turn signal either, it just flashes amber, perimeter reds come back on when the turn signal is cancelled. There is some very very dim lighting of the perimeter reds when the turn is indicated, but it's only visible at >1m in low light.
I've got protons in front and stock+BM signals in the rear. Wondering if this is a result of the diode mod, can't think of how they'd be doing it though.

Have video if the explanation doesn't make sense

Old March 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #75
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Ill make a vid after school today. diode mod doesn't and shouldn't affect anything.

Old September 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #76
Trainsk8
ninjette.org member

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I did this just the other dayto my ninja 250r and it works except the rear turn signals dont flash they stay solid and my turn signal indicator light doesn't flash anymore, any suggestions? i put a diode on the green and gray wire to the light so idk
Trainsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #77
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

sure you installed the diodes in the right direction?

Old September 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #78
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Nice to see you found the site Trainsk8.

Double check your diode wires with the pictures I posted on post 25 of this thread.

Old November 9th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #79
Trainsk8
ninjette.org member

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I've done this to my bike as well, and the front and rear turn signals work good except the rear led's dont flash like they're supposed to they just stay solid. i have equalizers that i bought a while back and havn't tried them. any ideas?
Trainsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #80
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

Did you change your relay? You probably need an electronic one.