ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 8th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #1
JohntheNinja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

How does the ninja fair through the winter?

Bought a 2008 ninja 250r at the start of summer. Only had 9000 miles on it and was in a lovely condition so it obviously had not been through a winter. I rode my yamaha ybr 125 for 5 years all year round and it did not corrode too much. Just required fresh paint on the exhaust every year.

Bottom line: So what I'm wondering is if the ninja paint job will fade and will the underneath and engine suffer through the winter? Bare in mind I will wash it down after every ride. And in the North East of England, winter isn't terrible, just gets frosty and roads have salt on them constantly.

Cheers lads and lasses!
JohntheNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #2
motoman
ninjette.org member

Name: derrick

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 ninja

I have never rode mine thew any of our Canadian winters but it should do fine make sure you have tires that have better grip in cold temps. Wash it to get rid of the salt I am always to freaked out at hitting some black ice to try winter riding. You being from England I assume yours is fuel injection so letting it warm up is not as big of a problem like our carb models
motoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #3
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
not likely to have any more issues then your previous bike.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It should fair well overall. The paint is known to fade a little if left exposed to the sun year round for consecutive seasons in a row, just like any other automotive paint will (nothing special). While the lil ninja's are not rust buckets, you can expect rust to start to develop in the obvious places if left sitting in salt and road grime. You chain will fare the worst of the winter month, extra maintenance required.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #5
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

The stock thermostat is very cold, and in cold weather can prevent the engine from warming up properly. The ThermoBob setup allows fast warm-ups and even coolant temps throughout the system. Before the ThermoBob I had to use the choke at times during winter rides, as the engine temp range would vary by as much as 60 degrees. Now the coolant varies only by 2 to 5 degrees after warm up, year round.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2015, 09:55 AM   #6
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
They're fine in the winter... Attached is a pic of my bike going through 3 really rough winters in Colorado as I used to ride year round. The paint still looks almost new - just gotta wipe it down and keep it clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12143201_10155986993775012_1456771817707360137_n.jpg (175.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg cherry02.jpg (114.0 KB, 5 views)

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.