ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #1
fiberoptx
ninjette.org member

Name: fiber

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250

cold start-bike dies???

So everytime I start my bike (cold start) it seriously dies.....after a few trys i get it going it .....it still is under 1k while at idle and i have to rev it a lil and let it warm up till it will be between 1300-1500 rpms which is of course normal.....why is this? any suggestions? its kind of a pain, i leave early in the morning...live in a very close condo complex and feel like im a d*ck by having to rev it for 3-5min just to warm it up...if i dont warn it up it will drive but once i get to a stop sign or light it dies....and then again i have to start and rev it while i wait at the stop which makes me feel like one of those idiots who keep reving their bike like its cool... please help! ha TIA!
fiberoptx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #2
kkim

are you using the choke?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #3
fiberoptx
ninjette.org member

Yea, ...i use it but it doesnt seem to help much, or am i just opening it too much? I've never really delt with that issue before. But it doesnt seem to help much, or perhaps I'm doing it wrong, or its defective? I dont know, Ill take it to the shop monday i guess.

Old October 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #4
kkim

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is..._at_startup%3F

Old October 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #5
fiberoptx
ninjette.org member

thank you

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #6
kkim

did that help your problem?

Old October 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #7
fiberoptx
ninjette.org member

initially but after i wait , then take off -once I get to my first stop the motor dies, i have given it a little throttle and adjusted the choke it still dies...it doesnt keep it in the same rpm range as it did before ...comes to a few putts and then dies.

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #8
kkim

have you set your idle speed to 1500 rpm after the bike is completely warmed up (10 minutes of riding) with the black knob on the side of the bike with the choke completly off?

Old October 13th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #9
fiberoptx
ninjette.org member

yes sir! I dont get it, I will set my idel to 1500 after its warmed up, i take off and when i come to a stop it goes to 2k ...some times it will rest on1.5k but at most lights it is 500 higher. But that's not as big of an issue to me. I tried doing exactly what was suggested in that post (btw, thank you!) it gets the bike going, i can never get it dead on but it usually stays @ 2k or a lil higher with the choke, i take off and once i come to a stop, boom. It goes dead. Start it back up trying the same thing, bam right back on ...another stop, another die. Since I have a few stops that come on the faster roads, i just drive down through the neighborhood for 10 till it gets warmed up then go. its just a hassle for me.

Old October 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #10
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberoptx View Post
yes sir! I dont get it, I will set my idel to 1500 after its warmed up, i take off and when i come to a stop it goes to 2k ...some times it will rest on1.5k but at most lights it is 500 higher.
Fiber- by warmed up, you mean after a long ride, correct? If you're setting it after it's warmed up in your driveway before you go anywhere, it likely isn't actually warmed up yet, and that is why you are having trouble.

Quote:
it gets the bike going, i can never get it dead on but it usually stays @ 2k or a lil higher with the choke, i take off and once i come to a stop, boom.
Are you referring to your choke? It's acting more like on/off rather than having the gradual response it should? You might need to adjust your choke cable if this is the case

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #11
fiberoptx
ninjette.org member

No by warmed up i mean a long drive, or atleast 20 min when i set the idle. just seems to fluctuate.

and to the choke ....i get it started and get it to stay at a good rmp range with the choke on, i take off and the first stop (next several) it dies unless i give it throttle. i have tried to open it more and it dies, try to close it as i come to the stop...it still dies.. i dont get it. any threads on how to adjust the cable if this is my problem?

Old October 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Check the idle adjuster. It may be a little loose. Mine did the same thing for a little while and my idle would get thrown outta whack just by the vibration of riding. You said you set it to 1500 and it goes back to 2000? Try doing this several times on the same ride. If it keeps going back to 2k, this is probably the problem. You also might need to adjust your carb's a bit. Sounds like you might be running fairly lean, which leads to the bike dying while it's cold. Just a thought and I may be wrong, but those are the first things that came to mind.

Old October 14th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #13
fiberoptx
ninjette.org member

thanks for the help I'll get back and let you know. thanks!

Old October 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #14
fiberoptx
ninjette.org member

also, i ment to ask that when you say adjust the carb you are talking about the mixture screws, right?

and one more thing...this "cold start" issue doesnt happen when the weather changes...it happens all the time. It gets to 120's here in Phoenix, Az ....and it still does this. Dont know if that helps anyone in making a suggestion. just an addendum

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #15
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

Quote:
also, i ment to ask that when you say adjust the carb you are talking about the mixture screws, right?

and one more thing...this "cold start" issue doesnt happen when the weather changes...it happens all the time. It gets to 120's here in Phoenix, Az ....and it still does this. Dont know if that helps anyone in making a suggestion. just an addendum
You shouldn't even need the choke to start the bike when its that hot outside. I'm in southern cal. and it seems like at about 80 degrees and up i don't even need the choke. It sounds like at least your carb idle screw could need adjustment, but possibly more adjustments need to be made. Aif/fuel mixture and needle position may need correction.
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #16
bobaab
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Sounds like a good time to take apart your carbs and clean them. In the process, you can mess with all that fun stuff.

More info here:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...n_the_carbs%3F

But generally, you should start your bike and ride off right away. It's not good to run with the choke on all the time, but it's fine to do so until your bike does not need it anymore. For my bike, this is about 1 minute of side street riding in colder weather (50 degrees). Aka, 3 stop signs. While we had a mild summer, riding around in 80 degree weather, I barely needed the choke.

Other problems can include a valve adjustment...have you done one yet?
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM   #17
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaab View Post
+1 on this. My 250 used to have similar issues as your bike until I messed around with the idle mixture screws. It solved the problem in the warmer weather, but once it got cold again the bike started having trouble maintaining idle with the choke on. I finally got around to a valve adjustment and this pretty much solved it for me.

If you're not at all comfortable with messing around with the carb or doing a valve adjustment, then take it into a mechanic. Setting the idle mix screws properly may take a few tries. When was the last time the bike had a full tune up?

Edit: Oh and if you haven't tried it yet, maybe run a few cans of seafoam through the fuel system.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2009, 11:51 AM   #18
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaab View Post
+1.