ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 13th, 2021, 07:57 PM   #1
Vansaki
ninjette.org member

Name: Van

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250

Help With Valve Clearance

I have a 2007 Ninja 250 with just over 6000 miles. I am putting her away for the winter. She's a new purchase. I've cleaned the carbs and all that. I decided to check the valve clearances. I'm not sure if the previous owner adjusted the valves or not. As I was checking each valve I made sure the pointy part of the lobe was pointing straight up so I could get a good reading. I started out with the .003" gauge. 3 out of the 4 intake valves I couldn't get the .003 in there. the other one was at .003 but not .004. As for the exhaust valves.. I got .004 but not .005, then I got .005 but not .006. the last 2 exhaust valves I couldn't get the .003 in. Is this normal for a bike with only 6000 miles? I always thought as a bike gets mileage on it that the valve clearances would open up ??? When I do the adjusting I was going to put the intake valves at .004" and the exhaust valves at .005". As far as I know those numbers are right in the middle of the specs. I checked my feeler gauges with my micrometer and they are right on. Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !
Vansaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2021, 05:44 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It's not unusual. The clearances become smaller as the engine wears.

That's why it's so important to check them, since if they get to zero, damage to the valves and seats begins. As the engine warms up the clearance increases, so the first signs of a problem show up during cold starts. Starting gets more difficult and it doesn't run well until it's warm. You did the right thing in checking and adjusting them.

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do..._the_valves%3F

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 14th, 2021, 07:37 AM   #3
Vansaki
ninjette.org member

Thanks Jim !!

Old November 14th, 2021, 07:48 AM   #4
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Agreed....more members should be performing this super important, critical service, rather than blowing it off!

If I may add...I prefer using the looser end of spec on exhaust valves as they tend to quickly tighten, even between service intervals. Allowing them plenty of room to wear into spec.

After engine is fully broken in, with higher mileage...valves tend to stabilize somewhat.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2021, 08:10 AM   #5
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Hay Jim !
my 2012 Ninja 250R has valve shims in it Right? and the manual says I don't have to check them till 7000 miles.... BUT it is cold blooded and doesn't want to run good till it's warmed up like you mentioned.... could the valves to too tight?
you got me wondering now ! I've NEVER heard a tappit click in that bike yet..
and it's got over 6k miles on it and as far as I know no one has ever checked the valve clearance....
....I've never heard that description given for tight valves before... see your teaching an Old dog new tricks !!!
...in my youth you checked the valves everytime you changed the oil... without fail.... or you'd regret it !
these new fangled contraptions are definitely different ! LOL
Bob....

Old November 14th, 2021, 08:46 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I think you should check your valve clearances.

Old November 14th, 2021, 09:00 AM   #7
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Hay Jim !
my 2012 Ninja 250R has valve shims in it Right? and the manual says I don't have to check them till 7000 miles.... BUT it is cold blooded and doesn't want to run good till it's warmed up like you mentioned.... could the valves to too tight?
you got me wondering now ! I've NEVER heard a tappit click in that bike yet..
and it's got over 6k miles on it and as far as I know no one has ever checked the valve clearance....
....I've never heard that description given for tight valves before... see your teaching an Old dog new tricks !!!
...in my youth you checked the valves everytime you changed the oil... without fail.... or you'd regret it !
these new fangled contraptions are definitely different ! LOL
Bob....
That right Bob
Thing you need
Digital Caliper "The best brand is Mitutoyo but not cheap or next best cheap brand is Neiko"
Angle Feeler Gauge
Hot Cams Valve Shim Kit 7.48mm OD Kit
Paper and Pen
Then let the fun start
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2021, 07:41 PM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Thanks shspvr !
I got those valve shims ...just ordered them
I also need a better feeler gauge and a new digital caliper..so I bought one of those too...
... so I should be all set to take on the Ninja as soon as I get the Triumph out of the shop....
the bad thing about working on the Ninja is getting down to it... I really do not like having to take off the fairings to work on anything on that bike !
...but to me that is the "New modern design" ...
I do like the Old Triumph design much better ... but I suppose that is just because it is closer to MY age ! LOL
.... I am also working on a deal to get a KLR 650 and that will be my play toy and Main bike I think.... although I will have to do alot of Mods to it to make it fit me and have more power, if it don't get the front wheel up off the ground in first it is not good enough for me on a bike like that... for a street bike that's not a problem but a dirt bike/adventure machine it needs that snappiness....
we'll see what happens on that !
Bob.....

Old November 14th, 2021, 09:08 PM   #9
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Luckily, newer shims & bucket design is more durable. After this initial adjustment, you'll most likely find that next inspection @ 15k and 22.5k will show no adjustment needed. Don't know how Honda does it, their bikes hardly ever need valve-adjustments.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2021, 09:12 PM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Don't know how Honda does it, their bikes hardly ever need valve-adjustments.
They figured out how to make the mechanical parts of the valve train wear at the same rate as the valve-seat recession.

Old November 14th, 2021, 09:29 PM   #11
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Luckily, newer shims & bucket design is more durable. After this initial adjustment, you'll most likely find that next inspection @ 15k and 22.5k will show no adjustment needed. Don't know how Honda does it, their bikes hardly ever need valve-adjustments.
Honda make there a bit loser
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2021, 07:52 PM   #12
Vansaki
ninjette.org member

I have adjusted all my intake valves. Now I need to adjust the exhaust valves. Looks like I'm gonna be removing the radiator and fan. I want as easy access as possible to these valves so I know I get the clearance correct. Here is the problem... I have removed my carbs and air box and gas tank. All have been cleaned and stored inside in my basement. I'm not putting them back on until spring when I plan on start riding. If I remove my radiator, I'm going to lose some of my coolant. No big deal because I plan on a radiator flush and replacement in the spring. Will my engine be safe until February/March without some of the coolant in it? I live in NE Ohio so our temps get down to maybe zero F at the coldest and thats only a few days. My bike is being stored inside an unheated garage.

Thanks for some advice !

Old November 15th, 2021, 07:59 PM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I didn't have to remove my radiator to adjust the valves, I just moved it a little. Have you seen the FAQ?

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do..._the_valves%3F

Old November 15th, 2021, 08:05 PM   #14
Vansaki
ninjette.org member

I have loosened the radiator and removed bolts per the FAQ. I didn't remove the fan though. I've got the fan/radiator moved out of the way a little bit. The fan seems to be the problem. I may remove it and see how much room I have.

Will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks.

Old November 17th, 2021, 07:07 PM   #15
Vansaki
ninjette.org member

Got all the valves clearances set. I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to doing that again. The procedure itself was a piece of cake but removing everything just to get at the adjusters was a PITA !!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Ok. Need tires now. I will start a new thread for that.

Old November 18th, 2021, 02:03 AM   #16
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Congrats ! that's a big step ! well done !
yes getting down to the actual bike is a royal pain on the Ninja....
i find that more difficult to get the fairings back on and aligned correctly than to do any of the mechanical work the bike needs ! ....
but I have found a few tricks that help.... don't tighten any screws down....
put them in and get them close but don't tighten anything until your happy with how the fairings sit on the bike... then tighten them... yes it takes about an hour longer that way but the results are easy to see in the end
I have been looking for a "Fairings On and off switch" I could mount on the speedometer... but I've not come across one yet.... if you see one please let me know ! ..... LOL
later !
Bob........

Old November 19th, 2021, 02:37 PM   #17
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hahahha, imagine accidentally hitting that button while riding down street!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2021, 04:43 PM   #18
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

lol ...someone might mistake you for a Transformer for sure !....
best to put a lock off cover over it !
LOL....
Bob.....