ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 27th, 2019, 12:01 PM   #1
Mauricemonge
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): bastardized ninja 250 (think land speed record with a sidecar) soon to swap a 500 engine

I need a steering damper, any suggestions for mounts?

Hey all, I need a steering damper for my heavily modified pre-gen 250. I haul a sidecar and now that my mounts are much more stable, I suffer from the normal low speed wobble found with pretty much all sidecar setups. I’ve done many alignment adjustments, and most of the time I don’t have much wobble, but if I stay riding around 12mph give or take, the wobble can turn into a full tank slapper.

Anyway, I’ve seen many kits for the 08+ 250r, but nothing for the 88-07 stuff. In these kits hey have a great stud mount between the tank and bars that bolt onto the frame, I’m wondering if these will fit the earlier frames?

I could fab everything, but strapped for time these days.
I’ll try to get pictures up when I figure it out

Last futzed with by Mauricemonge; October 27th, 2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Mauricemonge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Interesting. Out of curiousity, have you done anything to reduce the front wheel trail? I just stumbled across the fact that that is a common change for sidecars. I never realized that was done.

I cant help you with the mounting unfortunately. U may be able to rig up a linear dampener as well. My linear dampener (gsxr) setup on a newgen limits steering travel quite a bit which would stink on a streetbike.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2019, 07:07 PM   #3
Mauricemonge
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): bastardized ninja 250 (think land speed record with a sidecar) soon to swap a 500 engine

I played quite a bit with all the adjustments. Raising my forks helped overall but it brought the speed of the wobble higher by 6-7ish mph. I’d rather have it happen at a lower speed (less trail) since I hang out there less of the time. My only worry is heavy traffic at low speeds, and if I ever utilize my snow cables I made, I don’t think I can go very fast with them.

I did order a fork mounted bracket and a damper. I’m sure I’ll figure it out

Old November 3rd, 2019, 08:47 PM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Sidecar 250 with a 500 motor.!?

Old November 4th, 2019, 01:11 AM   #5
Mauricemonge
ninjette.org member

The 500 motor swap is far down on the list. Behind my stolen-now recovered truck that I need to put back together. And my mid engine turbo nitrous subaru powered ‘66 bug that’s mostly done. It’ll stay a ninja 250 until I have time, or finish my projects enough to pull it off.

Last futzed with by Mauricemonge; November 4th, 2019 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Pics if I can figure it out

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 4th, 2019, 10:48 AM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
There is a manage attachment button in the advanced post part... pretty easy, but your pics may possibly wind up sidewards

Old November 5th, 2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Mauricemonge
ninjette.org member

Figured it out with your help, posted them above. Thanks!

Old November 18th, 2019, 10:38 AM   #8
LR44
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

I've never done a sidecar addition so I can't really speak to that; however, it may be that your forks are misaligned. I did this and it worked wonders for me:

1. Take the front fender and wheel off and loosen your fork clamps so that the bottom ones are slightly loose and the top ones are clamped enough that the stanchion can slide through it with a little force but will stay in position after letting it go.
2. Adjust the fork height with calipers to factory specs. Once both sides are good, tighten the clamps and remeasure. If the forks didn't shift on you, tighten the top clamps to factory specs. Put the front fender back on but don't tighten down the bolts that secure it to the lower forks just yet.
3. Get in front of the bike and grab hold of the lower forks. Lightly pull on them 10 to 20 times. Be careful not to pull too hard that you cause the bike to tip over. This should get rid of any misalignment between the forks. Tighten the lower clamp bolts and then tighten the front fender bolts. Put the front wheel back on with the front end still in the air and tighten it down (remember to put the pin back in!). Go for a ride and see how it feels then.
LR44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2019, 08:30 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricemonge View Post
And my mid engine turbo nitrous subaru powered ‘66 bug that’s mostly done.
Have you seen this? It blows away Porsche 911 Carrera!!!

Link to original page on YouTube.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2019, 09:31 AM   #10
dukeswift
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 02 Aprilia RS70 97 Ninja 250

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/steering-dampers

Check that section and compare measurements! I bought the ODM500 for a small 50cc two stroke road racer and I'm really impressed with the quality. I had a nut welded to the frame and then bought the corresponding fork tube clamp from them. Love that website!
dukeswift is offline   Reply With Quote