ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old April 28th, 2020, 04:11 PM   #1
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Wisconsin Kart Track Opens Up for Socially Distanced Track Days

USAIR - Shawano, WI

See attachment, via their Facebook page. Plenty of rules to keep people safe, but they are doing it. And I don't see why not. The place is spacious and there's no problem getting some track action in without being close to other people.

I'll be setting up a day late May or early June if any Ninjettes in the midwest driving distance are interested.

https://vimeo.com/358960834
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USAIR_social_distancing.jpg (130.3 KB, 4 views)

Old April 28th, 2020, 05:13 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The only possible problem I see is the increased chance of needing to go to a hospital when you're playing on a Kart track. As long as their hospitals aren't overly taxed now, maybe that's not a problem there.

I wish the Kart track here was still only $45. Last time I went they were up to $60 and it may be higher this year. It's also a much simpler track.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2020, 06:25 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Oldest son is heading to USAir later this week.

Just got the new set of Bridgestone slicks on the CRF150R last night. Seeing how they compare to the Dunlops he ran last season.

Are you organizing a track day in May/June? I'm sure he will be interested.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2020, 07:26 AM   #4
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
The only possible problem I see is the increased chance of needing to go to a hospital when you're playing on a Kart track. As long as their hospitals aren't overly taxed now, maybe that's not a problem there.
Yeah, Shawano county where this is has no infections, no deaths and their hospital is empty. (with layoffs unfortunately) They had 8 infections as of a month ago, I would assume they are all recovered now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Oldest son is heading to USAir later this week.

Just got the new set of Bridgestone slicks on the CRF150R last night. Seeing how they compare to the Dunlops he ran last season.

Are you organizing a track day in May/June? I'm sure he will be interested.
Yup, the only thing that keeps me from going earlier is cooler temps and plasticky race tires. This isn't like middleweights where high power and high speeds make it easy to keep heat in tires, I got 9 hp hahaha.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 29th, 2020, 07:43 AM   #5
JFMNINJA400
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): GSXR 750, GSXR 600, Ninja 400, Ninja 300

Thumbs up

That looks like FUN, I would love to rip around on a Z125 or Grom on a go Kart track! You don’t need big HP to enjoy a track day!!!
JFMNINJA400 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 4th, 2020, 07:02 AM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
About his USAir track day yesterday -

The 150R was stronger than ever with the high compression piston and rebuild. More low-end pull and lifted the front where it didn't before. New Bridgestone slicks as well, but the track was pretty green and a bit slippery in spots. Lap times were 2 seconds quicker than last time out in the fall and under the times for the last race winner.

That's the good news.

The bad news is he chopped a corner too tight, caught the peg on the curb, lifted the rear and low-sided. No big deal except his leg got caught and twisted significantly, which led to a trip to the local ER. Now back at our house waiting to get an appointment with the Ortho Doc. Pretty sore all over. That leg already has a plate in it, and he may need more work.

But the bike isn't too bad....

Last futzed with by jkv45; May 4th, 2020 at 09:29 AM.

Old May 5th, 2020, 09:27 AM   #7
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Ouchie I hope he's ok. The curbs there are harsh the way they are ridged. I just kinda stay 2 feet to the inside if possible because when I get a knee down they rip off my puck. (best case - worst case they throw my knee back and toss me off my bike. Both have happened.)

Did he have to call for an ambulance or get to the hospital on his own? Just curious how everything went down. The only injury I ever had there was a sprained thumb when I didn't make a fist on a mild high side.

Old May 5th, 2020, 11:59 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Ouchie I hope he's ok. The curbs there are harsh the way they are ridged. I just kinda stay 2 feet to the inside if possible because when I get a knee down they rip off my puck. (best case - worst case they throw my knee back and toss me off my bike. Both have happened.)

Did he have to call for an ambulance or get to the hospital on his own? Just curious how everything went down. The only injury I ever had there was a sprained thumb when I didn't make a fist on a mild high side.
We don't know the extend of the injury yet. He has been trying to get into the local hospital without any luck. I can't believe they can't get him in. He had X-Rays at the small hospital near the track, and no broken bones, but they couldn't do a scan because of the plate in that leg. They didn't tell him much.

He will keep more distance off the curbs next time out - which won't be this season.

No ambulance at the track. He was there with his girlfriend (on her RM80 Sumo) and she drove him to the hospital laying in the back of his Ranger pickup, as he couldn't bend his leg/hip enough to get into the tiny cab. Not a fun ride I'm sure.

Old May 5th, 2020, 12:54 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Sorry to hear that, poor kid! They need to smooth out those kerbs!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2020, 02:48 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Thanks guys. He has been riding since he was about 4, and knows the risks.

We've all been there - and it sucks!

Old May 7th, 2020, 10:16 AM   #11
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

USAIR is an awsome track to ride on Ninjas and smaller. Post up a date i'd be interested.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote