ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1
chikenstrips
ninjette.org member

Name: peter

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Dead spot in rpm's

I have a dead spot in my rpm between 8k-10k. could this be due to to big of a main jet?
chikenstrips is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

It's not so much a dead spot. It's just may be a too rich spot depending on your riding conditions. The Stock Ninja is nice and rich in that range, so it may take a bit for the bike to get past it quickly while accelerating in 6th gear. Down shift one gear to try to get past 10k.

http://www.250rider.com/Ninja-2010-1...Ninja-250r.jpg
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #3
chikenstrips
ninjette.org member

so if i downed the main jetfrom a dj100 to a dj98 it would richen it up a little and feel more smooth then?

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikenstrips View Post
so if i downed the main jetfrom a dj100 to a dj98 it would richen it up a little and feel more smooth then?
If you went down to DJ#98, it would be similar to Keihin #100s. It wouldn't be as rich. I assume you have the stock airbox and shimmed and snorkel removed?

Old April 28th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #5
chikenstrips
ninjette.org member

i have a stock airbox with a k & n filter in it snorkel is still on and needle is shimmed yes

Old April 28th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #6
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Take out the snorkel. You need a little more air for the fuel you are putting in.

Old April 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #7
chikenstrips
ninjette.org member

thanks guys snorkel fixed it right up, runs like a dream now

Old April 29th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #8
codestp202

I'm kind of having a similar problem. My 7-8k seems a little dead and when I'm just cruising in like 3rd gear it usually is at 7-8k and the bike just seems to want to go past that rpm because when I close the throttle a little the bike seems to.. idk like sputter in the slightest like it wants more gas? I guess you could call it a soft spot.

Edit: Snorkel is pulled, carbs are shimmed with 3 washers each, danmoto exhaust installed. Gonna pull the spark plugs and see if I'm lean/rich. I believe I'm still a little lean in the fuel side, should I look into Larger main jets like @choneofakind keeps bothering me to do?

Old April 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
surging in the midrange under partial throttle is a sign of lean mid-range. add a 4th washer and see if that smooths out your 7-8k range
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #10
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
surging in the midrange under partial throttle is a sign of lean mid-range. Add a 4th washer and see if that smooths out your 7-8k range
i shall try it master.

Old April 29th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
I'm kind of having a similar problem. My 7-8k seems a little dead and when I'm just cruising in like 3rd gear it usually is at 7-8k and the bike just seems to want to go past that rpm because when I close the throttle a little the bike seems to.. idk like sputter in the slightest like it wants more gas? I guess you could call it a soft spot.

Edit: Snorkel is pulled, carbs are shimmed with 3 washers each, danmoto exhaust installed. Gonna pull the spark plugs and see if I'm lean/rich. I believe I'm still a little lean in the fuel side, should I look into Larger main jets like @choneofakind keeps bothering me to do?
7-8k in 3rd gear is not cruising. The bike wants to run up the rpms and change gears. Try cruising at 5-6k.

Why do you feel like the bike is lean? From the 8-10k range, the stock Ninja is rich, you just tossed in more fuel from 1/4-3/4 throttle with 3 shims. The little extra air from the missing snorkel is not going to raise the air/fuel ratio all that much. Even if you got close to 13.4:1, you would still be in an acceptable range. You may in fact be running to rich.

One thing you need to consider is that elevation temps and humidity affect carburetion, so you may not get the same performance everyday. This info can help with figuring out your carb settings. (see fig. 7 & 8 Motorcycle Carburetor Theory 101)This is also another good piece of info. Pipe Jetting If you use a correction factor based on your avg elevation and temperature you may find that

You may not necessarily need larger jets. Stock jets may be just fine in some cases. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102408 If you use a correction factor based on your avg elevation and temperature you may find that you might need smaller jets.

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
You may not necessarily need larger jets. Stock jets may be just fine in some cases. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102408 If you use a correction factor based on your avg elevation and temperature you may find that you might need smaller jets.
yes, but I've seen dyno charts of ninja 250's in our area that have the same intake/exhaust mods that he has (plus an aftermarket filter) and the bike needed 100 mains. Since Cody and the other bike whose dyno curve I read are both located within 15 minutes of me and ride the same roads I ride, I'd say that's a relatively fair setup to consider when jetting. His mains are likely fine though because he doesn't have the aftermarket filter.

On top of that, my bike has the same mods (albeit the pregen equivalents) and the bike definitely feels better with a main jet that is a size larger.

In stock form, the bike is rich only when at WOT because the main jets are rich and everything else is lean.

Cruising at 7-8k means partial throttle; about 1/2 throttle. Partial throttle mix is controlled by the needle height. If the bike is surging in the 1/4-3/4 throttle openings, that means the needles need to be raised.

The question is if the bike is surging or bogging. That is the determiner for if the needles need raised or lowered.

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #13
codestp202

Quote:
yes, but I've seen dyno charts of ninja 250's in our area that have the same intake/exhaust mods that he has (plus an aftermarket filter) and the bike needed 100 mains. Since Cody and the other bike whose dyno curve I read are both located within 15 minutes of me and ride the same roads I ride, I'd say that's a relatively fair setup to consider when jetting. His mains are likely fine though because he doesn't have the aftermarket filter.

On top of that, my bike has the same mods (albeit the pregen equivalents) and the bike definitely feels better with a main jet that is a size larger.

In stock form, the bike is rich only when at WOT because the main jets are rich and everything else is lean.

Cruising at 7-8k means partial throttle; about 1/2 throttle. Partial throttle mix is controlled by the needle height. If the bike is surging in the 1/4-3/4 throttle openings, that means the needles need to be raised.

The question is if the bike is surging or bogging. That is the determiner for if the needles need raised or lowered.
The bike is bogging by that definition. But only slightly, so I will definitely look into 1 more washer on each. and I'll order those main jets too if I'm gonna spend the time adding another washer to the dang thing.

On a happier note, my dad just asked me what I want for my birthday. Thinkin about getting some rim tape and a mount for my cell phone to my handlebars.
Thinking about putting white into the fairings. So the bike would have a blue/black/white theme

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIM-STRIPE-W...ht_5018wt_1218
cool or gay in blue, and if I decide to paint it partially white should I do white tape?

I always go off topic.

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #14
chikenstrips
ninjette.org member

order k&n filter too. it sounds like your running rich. if you add a bigger main jet you will definitely need more air to offset all the fuel

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #15
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikenstrips View Post
order k&n filter too. it sounds like your running rich. if you add a bigger main jet you will definitely need more air to offset all the fuel
What was that other brand that made air filters that where cheaper and better?

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #16
codestp202

Quote:

**** dude what was the link for those jets again? I thought I bookmarked it but I guess I lost it

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It's bogging in that range? then take a washer off the needles to lower them again.
bogging = rich.
surging unevenly instead of cruising smoothly = lean.

http://jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/...50R_Ninja.html

You might find the 98's pull better than the 100's but the 100's are worth the test, considering they're only $6.00 and one day of work on the bike.

Always make only one change at a time to the carbs to pinpoint what changes had what affect on how the bike feels.

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #18
codestp202

Quote:
It's bogging in that range? then take a washer off the needles to lower them again.
bogging = rich.
surging unevenly instead of cruising smoothly = lean.

http://jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/...50R_Ninja.html

You might find the 98's pull better than the 100's but the 100's are worth the test, considering they're only $6.00 and one day of work on the bike.

Always make only one change at a time to the carbs to pinpoint what changes had what affect on how the bike feels.
**** Idk if if bogging would be the right thing to call it lol. Maybe I'll just take a vid when I get home.

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Vid won't do much. Put the snorkel on. Does it get better or worse in that range/that exact scenario?

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #20
codestp202

LOL I kinda partially destroyed the snorkel I'm gonna put the air filter in, add a new main jet, and see how it acts with that. Then I will see if I need to add or remove a washer

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
gaahhh!!! 1 change at a time grasshoppa!!!!

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #22
codestp202

I dont roll like that. I don't know if I'm really thinking right when I say its acting wierd in the 7-8k range. For instance, I cruise at like 40 in 3rd gear at like 7-8k, should I just shift up so it rides at like 6k?

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #23
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
up to you. The bike is fine either way, just maybe a bit noisy if you keep it at 8000

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #24
codestp202

Quote:
up to you. The bike is fine either way, just maybe a bit noisy if you keep it at 8000
So... wanna put that ninja 400 engine in my bike for me?

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #25
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
What was that other brand that made air filters that where cheaper and better?
Pipercross? UNI?
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Air_filters_for_newgens

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #26
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Good call! Pipecross! Even checked the wiki dunno why I didnt see it..