ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old March 4th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #41
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman44 View Post
Thanks again guys.

My entire back is covered in cuts from plowing through the windshield:/
Ouch, that's a long gash. I thought windshields were supposed to shatter.

Quote:
I was on my way to a funeral...
Were you riding there in a full suit and tie? I'm picturing the 007 Skyfall scene.

Link to original page on YouTube.

algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #42
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Ouch, that's a long gash. I thought windshields were supposed to shatter.

Were you riding there in a full suit and tie? I'm picturing the 007 Skyfall scene.
I know. The doctors were surprised at how clean of a cut it made. Yup, suit and tie:/(big mistake)
Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #43
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
I know. The doctors were surprised at how clean of a cut it made......
Mike, that cut looks healthy (no infection)...........and painful as hell.

It seems to me that glass did not do it, but some sharp metal; ...........maybe an antenna or something?

For the X-rays, did you see a doctor again?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #44
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I yelled "thank you!" when I felt that I was able to wiggle my toes.
haha. been there. doesn't life feel absolutely amazing after you've come so close to death? makes me want to throw depressed people out of a car just so they can realize how good it can be to not be dead. LOL

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #45
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Sickening, sorry to hear of this but I'm glad you weren't hurt worse. I hope you recover quickly and get back to riding.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #46
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Mike, that cut looks healthy (no infection)...........and painful as hell.

It seems to me that glass did not do it, but some sharp metal; ...........maybe an antenna or something?

For the X-rays, did you see a doctor again?
Hey Moto. You may be right. I'm wondering if they'll send me a pic of the car so I can look? And I haven't gone for a secondary X-ray just yet, but I definitely will asap. Ride safe brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
haha. been there. doesn't life feel absolutely amazing after you've come so close to death? makes me want to throw depressed people out of a car just so they can realize how good it can be to not be dead. LOL
Lol, you're right. It seems like the air is sweeter, the sunshine feel better, and the food tastes better. I even enjoy the little things more like taking a good dump, lol. Ride safe brutha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Sickening, sorry to hear of this but I'm glad you weren't hurt worse. I hope you recover quickly and get back to riding.
Thanks, bud. EVERYONE is trying to convince me to stay off of bikes but I know I'll get another as soon as I heal up and can afford one. I bet no one would be saying to stop driving had I been injured in a car wreck:/
Ride safe man!

Old March 5th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #47
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Yep. Ninjas are a cure for depression.

Quote:
Thanks, bud. EVERYONE is trying to convince me to stay off of bikes but I know I'll get another as soon as I heal up and can afford one. I bet no one would be saying to stop driving had I been injured in a car wreck:/
Ride safe man!
If EVERYONE would stop driving cars, especially Toyotas, then motorcycles wouldn't be dangerous at all.

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #48
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Glad you not too badly banged up.

Quote:
No word on insurance yet but I am fairly certain she will be found at fault and have to pay out (IF she has insurance) *fingers crosses*
And no, I didn't do any weaving but I def. should have been:/
This really bothers me. We are required to have insurance, right? In my state our UNinsured driver coverage is more than MY liability. Ya know, they have this system where the insurance company sends the state a letter when your policy lapses, but the state/police do nothing about it. We have people riding around with paper tags for so long the ink has been rained off... we have people with expired tags, and yet the police do nothing about these "low hanging fruit". I wish they'd treat no insurance by impounding the car rather than like a "fix it" ticket. FWIW, I just *love* all the laws we have that aren't enforced... to include gun laws that aren't enforced. Seems to be a vicious circle... law passed, not enforced, someone is harmed, population screams for more laws, ad nauseum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
The insurance will probably total that. However, me personally, I don't usually consider the bike totaled unless the engine is destroyed or the frame is bent. But in any case, its definitely worth less now than before the accident.
Years ago, I remember the hull value on an old truck I had was $300... whats the hull value on a bike? It might be worth buying the hull back from the insurance co, especially if you planning to get the same type of bike to replace it!

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #49
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Ohh and one more thing....

The accident you describe here is one of my greatest fears... a cager doesn't see me. I've got a modulator on the headlight and a brake light flasher too. (ebay, 4 fast, 4 slow, on solid)

Could I convince you to get a headlight modulator now? Might have helped with the "I didn't see you" problem.

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #50
Cycle Randy
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): EX 300

I am thinking seriously about the modulator. Any thoughts on how that affects bulb life? Can you turn it off, or does it work on high beam, or what? No clue about those devices, but they do get your attention when you meet one.
Cycle Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #51
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Randy View Post
I am thinking seriously about the modulator. Any thoughts on how that affects bulb life? Can you turn it off, or does it work on high beam, or what? No clue about those devices, but they do get your attention when you meet one.
The modulator I got plugs inline with the high beam and has a photoeye on it. In day time, the high beam is off or flashing. At night, it is off or on. Literally takes 30 seconds to install. If you ever wonder if it's working, I can see mine reflecting off the street signs in daylight. You may wish to turn it off sitting in traffic behind someone (annoying??), but always flashing when first in line at a red light and travelling.

As for lamp life, I've not had to replace a bulb in 4 years... although I dont think the modulators work for HID lamps... I think constantly starting and stopping the lamp would burn out the ballast.

http://www.comagination.com/modulator.htm

For the brake modulator, look on ebay for user zowwie438.

Old March 6th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #52
zowwie438
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): VStar, VS1400

OUCH!!!! Looks like it was an acrylic windshield.

Man... That looks mass painful! I have had my share of spills... Wost one was when myself and the bike slid into a mans yard. Past the invisible fence, to be welcomed by six really intense guard dogs!

As for windshields... Checkout this video! A great many riders are not told the differences between a Lexan bug screen and a Acrylic. BIG DIFFERENCE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE

And btw folks... The fines in the state of ohio for texting while driving officially went into place this last Friday. THIS MEANS for us bikers that we have to watch our mirrors like a hawk!!! Cuz those idiot cagers will still be texting, just now they will be holding their phone down on their lap!!!

Stay in 1st while @ a light... Ready to jet!

And don't forget to flash your booty... Or get your booty flasher. However you do it.. Be sure to get their attention before they rear end ya.

++Zowwie438
zowwie438 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #53
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
Could I convince you to get a headlight modulator now? Might have helped with the "I didn't see you" problem.
Sold on the modulator. It'll be one of my first mods on my next bike. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zowwie438 View Post
Man... That looks mass painful! I have had my share of spills... Wost one was when myself and the bike slid into a mans yard. Past the invisible fence, to be welcomed by six really intense guard dogs!

The fines in the state of ohio for texting while driving officially went into place this last Friday. THIS MEANS for us bikers that we have to watch our mirrors like a hawk!!! Cuz those idiot cagers will still be texting, just now they will be holding their phone down on their lap!!!
You're right! The "no texting" law has been in place for a couple of years here and I still see countless drivers doing it:/

And speaking of windshields, I just pulled a piece outta my hip. Man, this sucks.

Old March 7th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #54
zowwie438
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): VStar, VS1400

Tips and tricks...

Quote:
And speaking of windshields, I just pulled a piece outta my hip. Man, this sucks.
OWWWWWUCH! Sad part is... I don't think acrylic will show up on an xray, so as time goes by... Your body will continue to try and reject any foreign matter that is in there.

Here is a secret for ya!!! Many folks don't know this. There is a topical cream one can buy from most drugs stores that isn't on the shelf. You have to ask them for it. It's called (black salve) ichthammol and costs about 5.00.

It's a magical like substance that will get anything out of your body! SERIOUSLY! When I was a little boy I had glass stuck DEEP in my foot... Grandma put some of this stuff on there and in two days... The glass was in the bandage!

It will get splitters out, glass, rocks, boils, BBs.... You name it! Even on closed skin! It doesn't sting or hurt.

The only warning is... IT STINKS! AND IT STAINS CLOTH! So if you put it on, make sure you tape up all four corners. I wouldn't use it on open huge wounds like yours.

It's a must have for any asphalt junkies.

And if your curious how it works... It's a petroleum based product that causes the inner tissue of your skin to be irritated. Thereby swelling up and pushing out whatever is in the skin to the surface.

OOOOooo and one other tip!!! There is a vitamin supplement called Lysine that expedites healing of tissues (inside and out). Folks w/ cold sores use it to make the canker go away. I have used it for years for ligament tears, inner tissue damage, fractured ribs, etc, etc.

Get better man!
zowwie438 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #55
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Good news guys. I had a few more x-rays done and there doesn't seem to be any fractures to my back. I just hope that there isn't any permanent damage to my back/nerves that will cause future discomfort, like Alex:/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zowwie438 View Post
OWWWWWUCH! Get better man!
Nice, Thanks for the recommendations, bud! I will definitely stop by the local pharmacy and see if they have either. I won't use it on my larger gashes, but rather the TONS of smaller ones around my hip and waist. Thanks again Ride safe!

Old March 7th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #56
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Good news guys. I had a few more x-rays done and there doesn't seem to be any fractures to my back. I just hope that there isn't any permanent damage to my back/nerves that will cause future discomfort, like Alex:/
Great on the X-rays' results !!!

Damage to soft tissue doesn't show up in X-rays, some MRI would help if abnormal discomfort persists.

Get better soon.

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #57
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Kinda late, but heal up and get back out there

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #58
rrrromz
ninjette.org member

Name: Rom

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250r

Oh man, just when I thought I felt confident enough to ride with less gear. This is an eye opener, I will keep ATGATT in mind even if its just riding around the corner. Thanks for the post and get well quick bro.

I bet right now your wondering if you should get a 300 or a 600 for your next bike...at least something bigger and better will come out of this.
rrrromz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #59
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Some more good news guys! I got a copy of the police report and the lady does in fact have insurance. Which is great because I only have liability at the moment (I am seriously considering upgrading). The lady who struck me was following her god son, who in the report tried to make it seem like I was speeding Luckily for me, there were two other witnesses who said that I was "just driving at normal speeds". I am considering sending the witnesses flowers thanking them for their kindness.

Quote:
Great on the X-rays' results !!!

Damage to soft tissue doesn't show up in X-rays, some MRI would help if abnormal discomfort persists.

Get better soon.
Thanks Moto! The Doc has scheduled an MRI in the following weeks Ride safe buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Kinda late, but heal up and get back out there
Thanks man! Ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrromz View Post
Oh man, just when I thought I felt confident enough to ride with less gear. This is an eye opener, I will keep ATGATT in mind even if its just riding around the corner. Thanks for the post and get well quick bro.

I bet right now your wondering if you should get a 300 or a 600 for your next bike...at least something bigger and better will come out of this.
Thanks bud! I will NEVER ride w/o attgatt. NEVER!
And you are right on the money in regards to my next bike. Although I'm siding towards a 650 Ride safe broseph.

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #60
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

You should absolutely send the witnesses something as a "thank you". Not only will it motivate them to keep helping you but also to keep pulling over and offer help and those that they tell to do the same. Just feeling recognized for your help is a great feeling.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #61
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Some more good news guys!..............The lady who struck me was following her god son...........
Great, that day started bad and the week is ending on a high note !

Drivers following others tend to be more distracted from traffic and trusting the judgment of the driver they follow.

Old March 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #62
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Wow, glad you're okay. I knew you said your bike was KIA'd but didn't know you were hurt. Hope the healing process is going as well as healing possibly can.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #63
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
You should absolutely send the witnesses something as a "thank you". Not only will it motivate them to keep helping you but also to keep pulling over and offer help and those that they tell to do the same. Just feeling recognized for your help is a great feeling.
MY attorney said to hold off on contacting them until after the case is settled:/ But I'll definitely do so afterwards

Quote:
Great, that day started bad and the week is ending on a high note !
I know, I am so thankful. I am really considering paying the extra few hundreds buck to upgrade my coverage. Had she had no insurance I would have been screwed:/ Ride safe bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurodox View Post
Wow, glad you're okay. I knew you said your bike was KIA'd but didn't know you were hurt. Hope the healing process is going as well as healing possibly can.
Thanks bud! Ride safe (when you get a bike,lol)!

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
MY attorney said to hold off on contacting them until after the case is settled:/ But I'll definitely do so afterwards

I know, I am so thankful. I am really considering paying the extra few hundreds buck to upgrade my coverage. Had she had no insurance I would have been screwed:/ Ride safe bud.

Thanks bud! Ride safe (when you get a bike,lol)!
I recently upped my coverage to 500k liability/underinsured. If I'd had that 500k instead of the 250k I'd be getting more money back and more "free" medical treatment
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #65
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Get well soon!
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #66
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I recently upped my coverage to 500k liability/underinsured. If I'd had that 500k instead of the 250k I'd be getting more money back and more "free" medical treatment
I am definitely getting the upgrade when I get a bike. They are going to rape me with about 800 a year for full coverage but I don't ever wanna have to worry about that "what if she's not insured" BS again.
I know it's hard to tell but seeing as how you have some experience in these situations, how much do you think they'll offer me for the injuries? Ride safe jiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
Get well soon!
Thanks broseph, ride safe!

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #67
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I am definitely getting the upgrade when I get a bike. They are going to rape me with about 800 a year for full coverage but I don't ever wanna have to worry about that "what if she's not insured" BS again.
I know it's hard to tell but seeing as how you have some experience in these situations, how much do you think they'll offer me for the injuries? Ride safe jiggy

Thanks broseph, ride safe!
What were you injuries? Out of work at all? Hospital bill?
AFM #676

Old March 10th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #68
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
What were you injuries? Out of work at all? Hospital bill?
I have a huge gash on my back that required 20 stitches, a horrible bruise on my back/spine that I'm going to start PT for tomorrow and a couple glass-filled scratches along my waist and hips. My medical Ins covered the ER visit and the ambualance, so I don't owe anything for that. And I am unemployed right now, but have had to miss a week of school so far:/

Old March 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #69
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Damn, that sucks; hope your attorney's able to get you whole and taken care of. Glad you're not more messed up than you already were.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #70
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Typical settlement is 2.5x the cost of your medical but a lawyer can get you more. Medical includes PT and any other doc visits so don't settle till you're healed
AFM #676

Old March 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #71
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Damn, that sucks; hope your attorney's able to get you whole and taken care of. Glad you're not more messed up than you already were.
Thanks buddy! Ride safe.

Quote:
Typical settlement is 2.5x the cost of your medical but a lawyer can get you more. Medical includes PT and any other doc visits so don't settle till you're healed
Thanks. Looks like I'll (hopefully) be able to get that 650r then Keep that new k13 shiny side up

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #72
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Thanks again guys.
Hope you are feeling better by now.

Any update?

Old April 9th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #73
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Hope you are feeling better by now.

Any update?
Hey Moto. The cuts and scrapes are healing but the impact wounds are what's bothering me most:/ Hopefully the physical therapy that I'm attending will prove effective. Thanks for asking!
At the moment, I am just dealing with the insurance and my attorney. It's been more than a month since the incident and I am BARELY getting an appt. set to have an adjuster look at the bike. Unfortunately, I have a pretty good feeling that it'll be a LONG time until I am reimbursed and able to buy another bike, which ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!

Ride safe, Moto!

Old April 9th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #74
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Oh!, that really sucks.

Maybe @Jiggles or @Alex have some experience to share regarding the slow process for compensation.

Old April 9th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #75
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Not me. I didn't have anyone to sue; the only compensation I deserved (and required) was payment for the bike, and that happened quite quickly. My medical was all covered through my normal medical insurance.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #76
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

I finally got a response from the adjuster and the bike is totaled, just as I expected. They have offered me 4k for the bike or 3.1k and I get to keep it.

What would you guys do? Keep the bike and fix it up? or take the 4 and upgrade?

I am probably going to let them take the bike but I was just wondering what you guys would do.

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #77
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Take the 4k and get a new bike.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #78
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
I finally got a response from the adjuster and the bike is totaled, just as I expected. They have offered me 4k for the bike or 3.1k and I get to keep it.

I am probably going to let them take the bike but I was just wondering what you guys would do.
Meh... Just get a new 300... Unless you want a track bike, then you can keep it and try fixing it up... Or put in 500$ more and buy Alex's ZX10r... I know I would...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132257

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #79
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:

Depends on how bad your bike is damaged and if you have the skills and tools and time to put it back together. Anything bent on the frame I'd get rid of it for sure. Also, if the insurance company plans to give you a "salvage" title, I'd tell them to keep it.

OTOH, if the engine is still good you could also sell it for parts. A low mileage engine is worth $600-$1000 alone. It really depends on how many high-dollar parts are left and if you have the time and patience to take them all off and sell them individually.

But like others said, you'll ultimately come out ahead if you chip in the extra $1K and buy a 300.

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #80
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

unless you know the forks and frame are straight, i would just use the money on a new bike.