ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Obsidia
Quantum Creatrix

Name: Ziva

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R Special Edition

Advice on Full Leather Suit

I've been looking around at upgrading some of my gear (not that it's bad, but it wouldn't hurt to have a one piece leather option) and the husband suggested this Spidi Suit. Yes, I know it's for males, however, when I look at the sizing, the XS would fit me perfectly and probably compensate for the fact that I have larger shoulders and thighs than most females my size/weight (dear manufacturers, just because I weigh less than 120lbs doesn't mean I'm a twig!).

So I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this brand or even this type of gear option? Cost doesn't matter much to me as much as protecting what little skin I have does (that and buying a one piece versus two pieces is about equal cost once you add in extra armor etc). My biggest problem with gear aimed at females is they seem to go more for the eye candy factor than actual protection. I ride in metro Portland. Our drivers here are...special so I'd rather have something that's overkill than not enough. No, I don't plan on racing but my theory is that if it's designed to protect at high speeds, then it should hold up decently if I crashed on my commute or on the freeways around here.
Obsidia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:50 AM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidia View Post
I've been looking around at upgrading some of my gear (not that it's bad, but it wouldn't hurt to have a one piece leather option) and the husband suggested this Spidi Suit. Yes, I know it's for males, however, when I look at the sizing, the XS would fit me perfectly and probably compensate for the fact that I have larger shoulders and thighs than most females my size/weight (dear manufacturers, just because I weigh less than 120lbs doesn't mean I'm a twig!).

So I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this brand or even this type of gear option? Cost doesn't matter much to me as much as protecting what little skin I have does (that and buying a one piece versus two pieces is about equal cost once you add in extra armor etc). My biggest problem with gear aimed at females is they seem to go more for the eye candy factor than actual protection. I ride in metro Portland. Our drivers here are...special so I'd rather have something that's overkill than not enough. No, I don't plan on racing but my theory is that if it's designed to protect at high speeds, then it should hold up decently if I crashed on my commute or on the freeways around here.
I never bother with female specific gear. I would try on stuff from the brand yourself if you can, even if it's not the exact thing, just to see how it fits overall. If you're going to wear the gear all the time, then there's nothing wrong with getting a 1-pc suit.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

If you're interested in Spidi, check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Tz_VdSFaw&t=9m9s
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
keeblerkhan
ninjette.org member

Name: keeb

Motorcycle(s): 250J

I know this is a few days old, but if you're considering a pair of 1 piece leathers to commute in, you will spend a lot of money for a piece of gear you will get fed up with. I commute nearly every day of the year, and I would be 99% certain you would not want to bother with a 1piece racing suit for commuting duty. They are hard to get on, won't fit over clothes, not usually very breathable, etc. Great for a track day or a day carving canyons, but the wrong tool for the job of commuting.

I think you'd be happier (and more inclined to wear) a suit like an aerostitch or a Teiz

my $0.02
keeblerkhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i have a spidi jacket and i think its well made.
they seem to be a good brand in terms of race gear.

a lot of different things come into play when you commute.
climate, breathe-ability, base clothing, storage pockets, etc.

if you have the money, i would get a couple of different outfits.

Old July 12th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #6
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Two piece suit > one piece suit for street riding.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ matter of preference. Both work well, only issue with 1-piece is it's a pain to stop on a long trip and take a leak.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Two piece suit > one piece suit for street riding.
Agree. I greatly prefer perforated leather as the compromise between protection and comfort that matches my priorities.

The next factor down the list is practicality. I've sewn the matching zipper halves into my jacket and pants and ride with it fully zipped up. Not as strong as a 1 pc suit but I'm not on the track.

With a zipped-up jacket/pants combo I can remove the jacket and have lunch in comfort. I can get into and out of the gear easily. Bathroom breaks are trivial. Etc. etc. etc.

If you truly want a race suit then there are good 2 pc options, including surprisingly affordable custom ones from places like Pilot Leathers.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Obsidia
Quantum Creatrix

The female suit (the poison one) that I'm looking at now is by the same company but is a two piece designed for touring or racing use. I have a hard time finding gear that not only fits but is comfortable. I don't worry about changing clothes because that's why I have my backpack (I also keep a change of clothes at my office). The purpose of the racing suit is because I will be making longer trips (up to 2-3 hours from home). Eventually going from Portland, OR to Tygh Valley, OR which is up and over Mt. Hood and goes over some pretty interesting areas. I don't just commute on the bike, but that's usually how my days start out M-F hehe.

I've been venturing out further and longer and as such I've been looking at better ways to protect myself (after 38 years, I've grown quite attached to my skin lol). I've been pricing various options and they all break down to about the same investment (one or two piece options). I gravitate towards items that I'll only have to buy once or twice especially if they're high quality. I'm still pricing options and considering all my choices while keeping in mind what I can get for my investment

Old July 13th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #10
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

the suit looks great, and should protect well.

hopefully they have a dealer near you, so you can try it on.
spidi stuff can sometimes run a little tall.

Old July 13th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #11
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
^^ matter of preference. Both work well, only issue with 1-piece is it's a pain to stop on a long trip and take a leak.
And you prefer to have that be an issue? I could think of other issues, what do you do if you stop mid ride for lunch? Keep the suit on the whole time, have it flop around behind you? I just take my jacket off.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #12
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nah, just unzip it and wear it. Or, just take it all the way off and enjoy the breeze. (I wear athletic shorts and a moisture-wicking shirt under it when I ride on the street) No biggie. Only real inconvenience is bathroom breaks.

It's better protection, it's what I have, and it's what I use. I'm not going to spend another 800-ish on leather 2-piece suit just so I can take 30 seconds less when i have to relieve myself.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #13
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Dainese and Alpinestar has women's one piece suits but are a little pricey. I checked the internet and Dainese go for $1,199 and Alpinestar $699 closeout price on a popular motorcycle gear site.

Old July 13th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #14
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

You live close enough that you should go to Fall River, MA. and have Vanson make you a leather suit. Their quality if great and you can have it custom made. I used Vanson leathers for the first two years I raced and loved their suits. I only changed over to Dainese because I was in Italy and bought one to bring home just for something to buy from Italy. Dainese are great also, But pricey, so since you live in New England I'd go to Fall River and get a custom fitting suit.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/

Old July 14th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Obsidia
Quantum Creatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
But pricey, so since you live in New England I'd go to Fall River and get a custom fitting suit.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/

Thank you for the link, but I live in the Pacific Northwest not New England They may however know someone on this side of the country so I'll probably shoot them an email. A 3000+ mile road trip isn't in my future just yet

Old July 14th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #16
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Thank you for the link, but I live in the Pacific Northwest not New England They may however know someone on this side of the country so I'll probably shoot them an email. A 3000+ mile road trip isn't in my future just yet
When did they move Portland, ME to Oregon? This country is really in a mess. You can't even depend on cities to be in the same place anymore.

I would suggest Dainese then. Spend a weekend in San Fran, eat well, enjoy the city, and go to the Dainese store there.