when I log onto it I just get index in bold letters with a blank screen thanks
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Alex posted an update here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...43#post1039843
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Looking at it a little more last night, it might be a pretty sizeable problem. Seeing a ton of PHP errors in the logs coming from the wiki calls - it looks like the update to PHP isn't compatible with the (very old) software we are using for the wiki. I need that version of PHP to be able to update the forum software to where it needs to be. No easy reconciliation of this yet, but hoping that I will be able to at least get the content up in another format.

The version of mediawiki we were using is many years back, and it was sadly a matter of time before an issue like this cropped up. I had tried a few years back to update mediawiki, but the bridge to the vbulletin accounts started to fail for any version post 2010 or so.

Stay tuned...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #4
cookiebug79
n00b with the b00bs

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250, 2008 EX250, 2001 ZR-7S, 2010 ZX-6R

Sad face, as the Wiki is a great resource!

Thanks for the updates! Let us know if we can help somehow!
cookiebug79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #5
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@Alex if you get stuck for ideas a simple solution would be to load up the old site in a vm and save the wiki out to static html files. You can then at least serve up the static wiki.

In the future you could maybe install a new wiki system and let us manually port across the content from the static wiki. If we got one member per wiki page on board then it would be a quick job! Count me in, if you do that.

-Akima

Old August 26th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's no obvious solution at the moment. There is no other wiki system that works with this version of vbulletin at that level of user integration, so it's a false choice of keeping the main site at risk by not updating it, or continuing to update the main site and break the wiki.

The wiki software itself isn't the issue, it's just media-wiki, the same platform that wikipedia runs. The secret sauce here is the linkage to vbulletin accounts. Without that, people would need to log in separately to access/edit the wiki, and then user administration for this site doubles in complexity. mediawiki also has very few tools to manage it compared to forum software (anti-spam measures, anti-bot, user moderation, etc.). That user-linking appears to rely on older features that were supported in PHP, that have been taken out / re-architected in later versions of PHP, due to security concerns. It doesn't appear that I can just suppress the errors, it just won't work without going back to an older PHP version, which puts the main site at risk.

I don't have an abundance of free time at the moment, but the fallback plan is likely something similar to what you suggest. I will try and access the db content one way or another, in order to serve the content up in some static way. But I don't want to even go to that level of work before figuring out how I'd want it to work longer-term.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote