ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 8th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #1
streetfighterninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: t

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, 1989 Yamaha XT350

2000 ninja 250 dies after warming up

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but I checked the FAQ and all the tips in the wiki.
I have a few strange issues with my ninja 250 and I'll try to be as detailed as possible

its a 2000 ninja 250, the previous owner did a streetfighter/cafe racer type conversion
I rode it all the way home (at least over an hour ride, in the pouring rain, with no issues whatsoever). However, I noticed the oil light was on, and didn't know how long ago the guy changed the oil, so I changed the oil/filter.

Rained a few days later. Afterwards, the bike would start and run normally until it warmed up (when the temperature needle hit the halfway mark). At this point it would shut off and would not start again until after it had cooled down completely. Essentially the engine would turn over but the bike would not start. Additionally, I noticed whitish smoke coming from the exhaust pipe on the left when trying to start it.

So I changed the oil again, to be on the safe side. I drained the float bowls. I cleaned around the engine/carbs as best as I could. I drained the gas and put in new gas. I haven't tried cleaning the carbs yet, I'm a little hesitant to do that since I don't want to mess anything up.

About a week ago I noticed it was having issues starting at all, even when its cold. Before it used to start up cold with no problem, and would only shut off after it had warmed up. I'm going to go back and check on the bike tomorrow, but was hoping someone could give me some tips or point me in the right direction.

Here's a picture of what I think the problem might be... just lost on how to fix it:

Below is a link to a video i took going around the carb which also might help:
https://streamable.com/shkmd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2017-04-08_15-26-28.jpg (102.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2017-04-08_15-26-28 (2).jpg (111.0 KB, 8 views)
streetfighterninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Welcome and 'gratz on your new scoot! I have a few things I'd like to point out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighterninja View Post
I rode it all the way home (at least over an hour ride, in the pouring rain, with no issues whatsoever). However, I noticed the oil light was on, and didn't know how long ago the guy changed the oil, so I changed the oil/filter.

The oil light doesn't indicate dirty oil. It indicates a LACK of oil, which is REALLY REALLY bad. Was the oil light on at the beginning, middle, or end of the ride? If it was on for a few seconds during startup, then turned off, that's 100% normal as the bike hasn't built up any oil pressure.

Rained a few days later. Afterwards, the bike would start and run normally until it warmed up (when the temperature needle hit the halfway mark). At this point it would shut off and would not start again until after it had cooled down completely. Essentially the engine would turn over but the bike would not start. Additionally, I noticed whitish smoke coming from the exhaust pipe on the left when trying to start it.

Whitish smoke is an indication of water/condensation in the pistons. This is normal if you ride it/crank it but don't let the bike heat up completely, and is one of the reasons why one should avoid starting the bike up unless they intend to allow it to heat up completely

The photo you provided also shows that the carb boots are probably not seated on the carb properly. I had this same issue when I did my bike up like that a while ago because some screws weren't put back where they needed to be and the battery kept yanking the airbox off of the carbs. I'll show a video tomorrow of what I mean. PM me if I forget.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #3
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Hows the coolant and the plugs.

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changi...rands_to_avoid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SparkPlugReading.jpg (269.7 KB, 7 views)
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I posted this reply in another forum as well -

Your hot running problems could be a few things. When it wants to quit, open the gas cap and listen for air rushing in. If you hear it, it means the tank is not venting. If that doesn't change anything, and it stalls, open the floatbowl drains and catch the gas. They both should run about 10 seconds and have the same amount come out. If they don't, it tells you that there is a restriction or plugged filter - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...fuel_filter%3F. There is an inline filter at the carb inlet that doesn't take much to plug.

Was the tank clean? If not, you need to clean it and install an additional inline filter (info in the link above).

This section has a lot of general carb info - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

You may need to pull the carbs and clean them to get it right. If you do, take your time and read-up on it. It's not real difficult, but there's more to doing it right than most people think.

Check that the idle mixture screws - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...dle_mixture%3F - are set to about 2.5 turns out. If they are, get it warmed up as much as possible (no choke for a bit) and adjust the hot idle to 1300.

It's possible the carbs are just not adjusted correctly or may need to be synced.

Check the air filter - I think it may be dirty and full of oil. Check the coolant level. Check the oil for coolant.

Pulling the plugs may give you some idea of whats going on. If they are significantly different or not normal coloring, it could indicate other issues.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote