ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 31st, 2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Goetterdaemmerung
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Just bought an '08; gear questions

I'm a brand new rider (post MSF). My new used 2008 bike has 3800 miles on it. I have a few questions, some of which are gear related. So I'll put them here!

I live in Seattle, so I'll need to be rain proof. While so far I've ridden on nice days, I've noticed wind getting scooped up above my collar bones and into my jacket. I have an icon leather jacket without any actual collar. What gear connects jacket and helmet to make a better seal? Or do I need a rainproof shell to cover the neck as well as entire jacket? (jacket)

My bike didn't come with a repair kit. I heard the stock repair kit was kind of lacking anyway. What should I put under my passenger seat?

My friend, a daily rider of 15 years experience, test rode it and had nothing negative to say about its condition. (My basically worthless experience test ride agreed). How do I approach next required maintenances? Also, one of the nuts on the rear axle is mangled, as if the correct tool was not used in its last physical encounter (it has been this way since its last sale -- 8 mo -- allegedly). Is this something self-serviceable? Ignorable?

Is it street legal to ride immediately after buying? I purchased insurance, but the title is technically still in their name. I have the signed title transfer, and their registration, etc. Do I need to wait until after my DMV visit?

Thanks!
Goetterdaemmerung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's legal to ride immediately after buying, no worries there. At that mileage, if someone was following the book, there would have been an oil change and general condition check at 600 miles, then the next real service is at 4000 miles. More info here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10577

I'd have an oil change done (or do it yourself) even though it's not explicitly required in the manual.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2010, 08:19 PM   #3
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

welcome to the forum!
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote