ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Obje0110
ninjette.org member

Name: Emily

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja ex250

Women's Gear and helmet questions

I was curious to know what women generally wear for there spring / summer jacket. I have a men's small leather Icon jacket (my buddy sold it to me for a fair price) I wore last year and it just got way too hot! But It saved me with my accidents.

Helmet:
I crashed my bike hard enough to take a chunk of the earth with me. My head slammed to the right and cracked my visor slightly.
Question is, should I get a new helmet or is okay to ride with it.
I feel like I should but I would like to know your opinion!

Thanks!
Emily
Obje0110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #2
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

You definitely need to replace the helmet. A second crash could cause a complete helmet failure.

I'm wearing the Joe Rocket Lotus 2.0 It gets warm in summer but the textile is nice. I'm also looking into a mesh jacket with armor for the really hot days.

Also if you can go to a bike shop to try on helmets. You can't really find the right helmet for you online.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Obje0110
ninjette.org member

Thats what I thought!

I'm heading into town so I thought about trying on some different helmets as well as jackets! Does that jacket breath well enough that you are okay on a long hot summer day ride?

What helmet do you were? The shoei rf 1100 fits my head shape but not my budget.
I've been wanting to upgrade since I the HJC I am in is a little noisy.

Thanks!

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

The jacket is fine in all but rush hour traffic.

I've been wearing the wrong helmet and the one that fits me best is the HJC CL-16. It's on sale for about $100.

I ride with ear plugs because my helmet now isn't super quiet. Try it out, you'll be amazed at how awesome it is.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #5
taiga
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Antonia

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 ~red~

I have the Scorpion Nip Tuck jacket.. it's mesh with a removeable inner liner (not thermal liner). It has some armor/padding at the shoulders and elbows. It's pretty perfect in the summer because the mesh lets a lot of airflow through.

Definitely replace the helmet. Don't even think about riding with it again!
taiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #6
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

Definatly need a new helmet!
I have 4 types of jackets for the different weather situations that I have in my area.
I love most my Tourmaster Transition. It is textile yet waterproof and has good air flow. It comes with a liner that is often to warm for my area. I have not worn it it the high temps that I live with (110), but thats when I wear a phase change cooling vest.
What are the temps you live with?

Old March 15th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Obje0110
ninjette.org member

Great Replies Guys!!!
Thanks so much!
I am getting a new helmet before I ride!
The is bike is currently waiting on carbs, so he is parked anyways!

@miss_syn I am looking into the helmet. I like that price!

@taiga I like the looks of that jacket! Just want to try on before I buy!

@ManyCavies I live in Nc. We have humidity. So far we are getting into the 70's, but it is a cool 70. Last year was stupid hot though, I believe this year will be worse!

@trixter Great advise! Will do. Thanks!

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Ninja250gurl
M@ry M@ry

Name: Mary

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250 Red/Black

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/w...FY0BQAodjy-xjAI have the Speed and strength jacket. It has a removable inner liner that is 100% waterproof. I take the inner liner out, and its just the mesh and it has great airflow thru it, i love this jacket for winter and summer! Also have you ever checked out www.motorcyclecloseouts.com? They have really great prices on helmets.. you would probley have to try them on to see what size you need.. but the scorpion helmets ive heard are pretty good, and i want to say they are like $99.95, normally $250. HJC's also on there for $99.

Beside me or behind me... real woman dont ride b*t<h!
Ninja250gurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I wear an icon timax and it breaths like no other perfect for super hot days . I think u can grab just about any non insulated textile and be fine in the heat.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Obje0110
ninjette.org member

@Ninja250gurl I have not been to that site before! Thanks! I went to my local honda motorbike dealer and they gave me a great quote on the HJC I was looking at! That jacket looks nice! How are the sizes for those?

@Klondike1020 I have an Icon leather that is nice. Thanks for the info!

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Ninja250gurl
M@ry M@ry

Name: Mary

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250 Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obje0110 View Post
@Ninja250gurl I have not been to that site before! Thanks! I went to my local honda motorbike dealer and they gave me a great quote on the HJC I was looking at! That jacket looks nice! How are the sizes for those?

@Klondike1020 I have an Icon leather that is nice. Thanks for the info!
The sizes are true sizes if you ask me. It fits really good! They have a bunch of different colors too, not sure what color your bike is or anything. Check out their HJC helmets on the website, if its lower than your dealer you could tell them, and they may match it or something-worth a shot anyway! lol!

Beside me or behind me... real woman dont ride b*t<h!
Ninja250gurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Obje0110
ninjette.org member

@Ninja250gurl Thats great to know! Thanks for your help!

Old March 17th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #13
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I went gear browsing with my wife a few weeks ago now so she could get an idea of style she likes and fitment.
After her trying on several different brands and material types she settled on Joe Rocket Cleo 2.0 jacket, JR Cleo pants, and A* Stella Tyla gloves.

Still helmet and boot shopping for her.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiga View Post
I have the Scorpion Nip Tuck jacket.. it's mesh with a removeable inner liner (not thermal liner). It has some armor/padding at the shoulders and elbows. It's pretty perfect in the summer because the mesh lets a lot of airflow through.

Definitely replace the helmet. Don't even think about riding with it again!
How does that jacket fit? (true to size? chest area? etc...) Im planning on getting my fiance that jacket to match the scorpion lily helmet i bought her. shes beginning to love going for rides so i want her to be better protected and I told her im not taking her on the freeway until shes properly protected
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Obje0110
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla25 View Post
how does that jacket fit? (true to size? Chest area? Etc...) im planning on getting my fiance that jacket to match the scorpion lily helmet i bought her. Shes beginning to love going for rides so i want her to be better protected and i told her im not taking her on the freeway until shes properly protected
good plan!

Old April 27th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #16
taiga
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Antonia

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 ~red~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
How does that jacket fit? (true to size? chest area? etc...) Im planning on getting my fiance that jacket to match the scorpion lily helmet i bought her. shes beginning to love going for rides so i want her to be better protected and I told her im not taking her on the freeway until shes properly protected
Sorry for getting back so late, haven't logged on here in a while!
The jacket is fitted on me.. I believe it fits on the smaller side compared to other US brands. As a guide, I'm XS in the Scorpion Nip/Tuck and wear a size 34 or 36 in other jackets. The jacket itself is great, I love the shape of it and the cording down both sides helps to adjust the sizing to fit well The cords then tuck neatly away into a tiny pocket so you don't have them hanging messily around the sides.

The jacket is mesh and I really have to layer up if I ride anything below 10C. Til 20C I'm wearing a sweatshirt at the least. If it rains, my sleeves and chest get wet.There's no thermal layer, only a very thin windbreaker layer so I'd recommend another jacket if this is gonna be her only jacket for all seasons.
taiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #17
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiga View Post
Sorry for getting back so late, haven't logged on here in a while!
The jacket is fitted on me.. I believe it fits on the smaller side compared to other US brands. As a guide, I'm XS in the Scorpion Nip/Tuck and wear a size 34 or 36 in other jackets. The jacket itself is great, I love the shape of it and the cording down both sides helps to adjust the sizing to fit well The cords then tuck neatly away into a tiny pocket so you don't have them hanging messily around the sides.

The jacket is mesh and I really have to layer up if I ride anything below 10C. Til 20C I'm wearing a sweatshirt at the least. If it rains, my sleeves and chest get wet.There's no thermal layer, only a very thin windbreaker layer so I'd recommend another jacket if this is gonna be her only jacket for all seasons.
LOL. its fine. thank you for the input. The color i wanted to get her was not available, so i ended up getting her an A* Stella jacket.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote