ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 20th, 2020, 01:36 AM   #1
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r

Well......Tires. Lol.

I really hate to do this, as I see the very latest thread is also about tires. But I'm just not finding the info I'm looking for via searching. I've also seen the ninja250 wiki list of tires - and although helpful, there's just so many listed there.

This whole tire topic is exhausting and overwhelming. I just want to put some safe tires on my 08 250. I live outside of Seattle - and would like to start riding more in the wet months. I don't plan on getting out in the pouring rain or snow/icy periods or anything- but would like to have confidence in my tires if I want to go out in wet conditions.

I'm not an aggressive rider or anything. I like to get on some turns with moderate speed - but I don't push it hard. My main concerns are safety/reliability. I don't need the bike to perform in a track setting or aggressive mountain run or anything.

I'm not looking for detailed explanations. Maybe just drop the model name of the tires you feel would suit me well, and I will check them out.

Thanks!
MichaelS214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2020, 02:07 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...t-radial-tires

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 20th, 2020, 02:22 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Here's some recent threads from search...

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=345905

Most tyre threads are for 16" pre-gens since selections are limited in those sizes. For new-gens, there's tonnes available. Unless you're racing at limit on streets, you really can't go wrong with any modern tyre... most of time... Ultimate dry-grip is so high nowadays (they're better than race-tyres from just 10-yrs ago). You'll never ever overcome them in dry-riding unless you're doing something really, really stoopid.

With wet-riding, that places an extra design-criteria from start. Tread-pattern is important for water-dispersal and most of super-sticky dry tyres don't have tread that's optimised for rain. One exception I've found works really, really well in rain is Metzler Lasertecs. Front tread-pattern is almost exactly same as dedicated racing rain-tyre. Other front tyre that performs well in rain is Bridgestone BT45.

I haven't notice much differences in rain performance of various tyres.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2020, 05:28 AM   #4
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

Thanks - I actually had those in my cart as a potential!

Old April 20th, 2020, 05:30 AM   #5
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Here's some recent threads from search...

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=345905
Thanks - I did see that thread earlier. Thanks for the suggestions as well!

Old April 20th, 2020, 11:09 AM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

These are great tires, I have them. Buy them and don't look back!
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2020, 01:12 PM   #7
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
These are great tires, I have them. Buy them and don't look back!
I think I will! They seem to be a good price and have good reviews. Thanks.

Old April 23rd, 2020, 12:08 PM   #8
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

Thanks again all - ordered the Michelin Pilot Street as it seemed to have great recommendations for a rider like myself.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2020, 10:04 PM   #9
Emu
ninjette.org member

Name: Emu

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS214 View Post
Thanks again all - ordered the Michelin Pilot Street as it seemed to have great recommendations for a rider like myself.
I just installed mine on the rear of my bike and recently got to do my daily 25 minute morning commute to work after a bad storm. I live south central Oklahoma and we recently had a hail storm, when I woke up the roads were still SOAKED. I had my tire scrubbed in before hand and I hit the highway at 70 like I always do. I was more than surprised by the amount of grip I had on the wet on ramp. I bought mine on bikebandit for $65+shipping. I also went ahead and installed right angled valve stems.

I honestly couldn't be happier now.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2020, 10:39 PM   #10
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
I just installed mine on the rear of my bike.........
Nice deal. I ordered from bikebandit as well - but paid a little over 200 shipped for the front and back. Must have not been on sale anymore. Regardless - I'm happy to be getting some trustworthy tires at last.

Old April 26th, 2020, 09:40 AM   #11
JFMNINJA400
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): GSXR 750, GSXR 600, Ninja 400, Ninja 300

Thumbs up

Quote:
Nice deal. I ordered from bikebandit as well - but paid a little over 200 shipped for the front and back. Must have not been on sale anymore. Regardless - I'm happy to be getting some trustworthy tires at last.
Did you go with the stock rear tire size of 130? I have the Michelin RS 110 front and 140 rear on my 250. I have the same tires on my 400 but a 150 rear. I did a whole track season and 2 races on these tires and they stick like glue and show little wear. I haven’t tried my 250 on the track yet, got it after track season last year. I love Michelins
JFMNINJA400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2020, 10:26 AM   #12
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFMNINJA400 View Post
Did you go with the stock rear tire size of 130? I have the Michelin RS 110 front and 140 rear on my 250. I have the same tires on my 400 but a 150 rear. I did a whole track season and 2 races on these tires and they stick like glue and show little wear. I haven’t tried my 250 on the track yet, got it after track season last year. I love Michelins
I went stock 110/130. There was definitely a time in the past when I considered upsizing the rear. But it seems to be the majority saying it's not a good move. Lol. I'm no pro on the tire/wheel/bike/road relationship, nor a rider who pushes the performance limits on tires. So i figured - yea stock is fine lol.

Old May 9th, 2020, 01:29 AM   #13
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:

This whole tire topic is exhausting and overwhelming. I just want to put some safe tires on my 08 250. I live outside of Seattle - and would like to start riding more in the wet months. I don't plan on getting out in the pouring rain or snow/icy periods or anything- but would like to have confidence in my tires if I want to go out in wet conditions.

I'm not an aggressive rider or anything. I like to get on some turns with moderate speed - but I don't push it hard. My main concerns are safety/reliability. I don't need the bike to perform in a track setting or aggressive mountain run or anything.

I'm not looking for detailed explanations. Maybe just drop the model name of the tires you feel would suit me well, and I will check them out.

Thanks!

Michellin now makes the Pilot Road 5s in 140/70 17 if you're willing to go a size up on the rear, and 110/70 17, same size as stock, on the front. I like the 140 in the rear, feels more stable on the freeway with wind gusts and going over metal grates, etc.

These tires are pricey, but are known to last long, have great wet grip if you find itself on some damp roads by accident, and great grip on general.

I run these on my bike and am totally satisfied. I just want reliable tires that will last a long time and provide decent grip in dry/wet

If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, I've also used Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300 110/70 17 front and 140/70 17 rear. Got roughly 12,000 mi out of them, mostly street riding in the city, no complaints with these either. $66 for the front and $96 for the rear sizes I used on RevZilla right now
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2020, 08:12 AM   #14
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

I actually already got the pilot streets, but get this - no more than 100 miles or so over two rides, I found both a nail and a screw in the back tire!

And of course I didn't get the road hazard on them lol. Been riding for years and always conscious about where I ride - never had more than one of those tiny nails in a tire. This time it happens to me on a new set!

I'm trying my luck with bike bandit to see if they'll even offer me a discount on a new rear - they don't owe me anything, but I'll try once. Otherwise, just gonna order another rear.
Lol.

Old May 9th, 2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Emu
ninjette.org member

Dude that completely blows! I just ran out to check mine lol. Thankfully the gods have spared me.

I know some people are superstitious but do you have a bell on your bike? When I first got mine my buddy gave me one. You aren't supposed to buy one for yourself and you aren't supposed to touch it, it is given to you and put on by someone else, the sound of the bell is supposed to be so deafening and uncontrollable to the riding gremlins that it knocks them off so you always have good luck.

Not saying my luck these past few months are because of the bell but I have gotten out of some pretty sketchy situations and my only low side was when I didn't have a bell.

Old May 9th, 2020, 09:21 AM   #16
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
Dude that completely blows! I just ran out to check mine lol. Thankfully the gods have spared me.

I know some people are superstitious but do you have a bell on your bike? When I first got mine my buddy gave me one. You aren't supposed to buy one for yourself and you aren't supposed to touch it, it is given to you and put on by someone else, the sound of the bell is supposed to be so deafening and uncontrollable to the riding gremlins that it knocks them off so you always have good luck.

Not saying my luck these past few months are because of the bell but I have gotten out of some pretty sketchy situations and my only low side was when I didn't have a bell.
What kind of bell? Like a standard bicycle bell? I've never heard of this superstition. So what do you do - ring it every now and then?

Old May 9th, 2020, 10:02 AM   #17
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
I actually already got the pilot streets, but get this - no more than 100 miles or so over two rides, I found both a nail and a screw in the back tire!

And of course I didn't get the road hazard on them lol. Been riding for years and always conscious about where I ride - never had more than one of those tiny nails in a tire. This time it happens to me on a new set!

I'm trying my luck with bike bandit to see if they'll even offer me a discount on a new rear - they don't owe me anything, but I'll try once. Otherwise, just gonna order another rear.
Lol.
Damn man....I feel you. Right after I bought a new set of Dunlop gpr 300s a year ago, I took a nail to my tire and ended up needing to get another rear. There's definitely a new tire gremin that hangs out on the streets waiting to poke your tires!
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2020, 10:13 AM   #18
Emu
ninjette.org member

Quote:
What kind of bell? Like a standard bicycle bell? I've never heard of this superstition. So what do you do - ring it every now and then?
Go into your local moto shop and ask for bells, they will carry them. As soon as I walked in and asked they told me about the whole culture of the bell. The one I have now was an xmas gift and my girlfriend put it on my horn bracket for me and mounted it. It now gives my whole family something cheap to give me during the hollidays because I am "so hard to shop for" lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200509_120240[1].jpg (96.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200509_120229[1].jpg (109.7 KB, 1 views)