ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Items Wanted

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM   #1
itsa250bro
ninjette.org member

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 CP Blue

Wanted: Used FS Disc MT Bike

I've been looking on craigslist, ebay and local bike shops but, I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. $300 - $400 for a mountain bike with full suspension and disc brakes, size small for my daughter who is about 5ft tall.

I really don't want to buy new - for the money, I'd rather get a used one - I don't care if it is scratched up and I can fix a lot of things mechanically. I'm figuring a bike that originally sold for $800 a few years ago, should have depreciated enough. I know its out there - I just can't find it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA
itsa250bro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I have a Trek Y-3 for sale if interested. 15" frame which should be just fine for a 5' tall person. Full suspension, brakes are not disk.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM   #3
itsa250bro
ninjette.org member

@TnNinjaGirl I'm not familiar with that bike - I tried to google but, coming up with inconsistent results. If you have time, could you post/pm the details (components/condition, pics and price). Are you the only owner or do you know its history? Thanks.

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to items wanted

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
A bike that sold a few years ago with FS and disc brakes for $800? That's going to be a tough find considering that's the price range where you either find decent hard tails or FS from Dick's Sporting Goods etc.

My Giant Yukon FX is the least expensive FS trail bike that I could find that was worth looking into for trail use, and it was $1000. What is your daughter looking to do with her bike? How hard/where is she looking to ride? Is she completely sold on disks for looks or for stopping power in the wet?

I guess what I'm asking is why are you looking for the FS bike? That price range is going to be tough if you're looking for a trail-worthy bike, but if you're just looking for a bike to ride around town or on exercise paths/sidewalks with you could likely go to a sporting goods store and buy new.

For reference this is my current MTB, a 2011 Giant Yukon FX:
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #6
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Trek Y-3 15"
Rock Shox Indy fork
Fox Vanilla shock
Matrix Guru rims
Shimano Alivio drivetrain
Shimano hubs

Asking $350 shipped.

FWIW my current FS/disk bike was $1500 and pre owned. It's a Titus Racer X.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #7
itsa250bro
ninjette.org member

@TnNinjaGirl Looks like a great bike that's been well taken care of but, I think I'm kind of set on getting something with disc brakes. Thanks though... My first bike was a Specialized Hardrock – I still ride it occasionally and funny I don't really mind the hardtail but, those v-brakes... ughhh they just don't hold up if you get the wheel wet or muddy at all – which of course, is the whole purpose of mt biking

@choneofakind I think you're right – its going to be a tough find.... I'm just surprised. It seems like good quality bikes are really holding their value well, and people just don't want to sell either (supply / demand – go figure) Even in your case, $1000 brand-new (great deal btw) – I just figured if you wanted to sell it in 5 years the value would drop to around $300. I'm glad to hear it though, I bought my bike in 2004 for $2000.

Riding around here is very rocky/root/muddy. She's just turning 10 – and has been riding tow paths and easy hiking trails with me on her *mart bike for the past few years but, I can tell she is ready for more fun. I never got her anything too expensive before because I didn't know if she would really be into it and she grows like weed. If she wasn't done growing I would get her a good $1k bike but... wait a minute... if I spend $1000 on a bike now, and then sell it in a few years for $600 – then that's right in my budget. Hmmm... more thinking I must do [/yoda] Na, forget it – a 10 year old with a $1k bike, that's not right. But, maybe a good hardtail with disc's – that should be do-able.

Last futzed with by itsa250bro; April 24th, 2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Sorry for the stream of consciousness rant

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I think a decent quality hard might be a good option. They've come a long way in 10 years with MTB's honestly.

Have you checked out Giant, Raleigh, Trek, and Specialized for their mid-range hard tails? I have used a Raleigh hard tail, and while it wasn't the best thing out there, the frame was solid until I decided to go off a flight of stairs that only looked like it was 3 until I was on it. That thing doesn't owe me a dime, and I really miss riding a hard tail, no matter how awesome a FS trail bike is. If she's just getting into it, a hardtail is the way to go.

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/....jsp?scid=1100
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote