ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: How often do you encounter a traffic light that won't trigger for you?
Daily 11 52.38%
Weekly 5 23.81%
Monthly 2 9.52%
I ignore traffic lights! 3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:28 AM   #1
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Texas riders, an interesting legal note

Found this while researching another topic. Per state law, traffic signals are required to recognize motorcycles:

Sec. 544.0075. CERTAIN TRAFFIC-ACTUATED ELECTRIC TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNALS. (a) This section applies only to a traffic-actuated electric traffic-control signal that consists of a traffic-control signal for which the intervals vary according to the demands of vehicular traffic as registered by a detector and that is installed and operating at an intersection.

(b) In addition to any other type of vehicle the presence of which the detector for the traffic-actuated electric traffic-control signal may register, the detector for a traffic-actuated electric traffic-control device to which this section applies must be capable of registering the presence of a motorcycle.

Added by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 219, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2007.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...4.htm#544.0075

If you run across a signal that won't change for you, you can contact the local traffic engineering department and remind them that by law they are required to do what it takes to make it recognize any motorcycle. Complaints can be made to the Texas Attorney General's office at:

Office of the Attorney General
PO Box 12548
Austin, TX 78711-2548

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/agency/contacts.shtml

It is still illegal to proceed through a malfunctioning traffic signal no matter how safely you can do it and no matter how long you sit there stuck at one, even if for hours. Maybe we can get that changed at some point in the future.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:31 AM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I hate when this happens...
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM   #3
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

The lights that I know that do not register in the Dallas area.. well when I get caught up in them.. I just turn right, u-turn a few feet down from the intersection, then turn right at the light and continue on.... got no time waiting for a car to come up beside me and trigger the damn thing. If I was looking to turn left at the light... i just do the above, time the green and head on straight thru.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

I know of at least 3 traffic lights here in the Austin area that do not register. Almost all of them I've had to wait 10 minutes before I ended up breaking the law. One of them I got to change by scooting up just one foot, but that was after 6 cycles.

Most of them I figure out which ones don't change easily and just avoid them like the plague.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
In my area they are doing away with the underground triggers and are starting to use camera's to trigger the lights. They look just like traffic cams but don't take your picture if you run the light. They work much better than the underground wire at detecting a motorcycle.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:14 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I researched this in several states and found the same thing in all. If it doesn't detect you, it's deemed to be malfunctioning. What differs is the recourse you have while stillstuck at the light. Many say that you treat it as inoperative (four way stop, procede with caution but, of course, the other vehicles don't know or consider it that way). I can't find that allowince in CA law though. I had a light cycle 10 times on me in my sister's car yesterday and I just had to go. Some for the other cars trapped with me.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

If I come accross a light that wont change when I'm in Albuqueruque and there are no cars around that can change it for me I just hop off and run over and press the pedestrian cross button a couple of times and run back. Or I do the right U turn thing also. depends on how big the street is

Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:43 AM   #8
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

My luck is that I tend to hit these things in a left turn lane. Making a right from the left turn lane is highly illegal here. I once called my city police and asked what I should do, they told me to call the police and wait until an officer showed up then he would wave me through the red light. Of course, making that call would require me removing my helmet, putting me in violation of our helmet law and a ticketable offense here. I could leave the bike parked there and walk to the sidewalk to make the call, but then I would be in violation of parking laws. Sigh.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #9
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

No option for never.

Not sure why, but I don't have a problem with the triggers. Everyone I have come across has worked for me.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #10
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

There are two here that drive me nuts...one is a regular stop light...that wont change for squat, and the other is a left turn lane that also wont change.

So instead of me turning left under a green turn light, Im supposed to wait until all four lanes get a green and yield until I see a clear spot...and hope to God some Georgia jack#ss doesnt run me over.

%&*##@$& TRAFFIC LIGHTS.

Ive tried sixteen times to contact someone to have them fixed, and have yet to find the right department.

So I do what I have to....and I hope they do ticket me for some infraction, cause so help me, they WILL see me in court.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #11
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
There are two here that drive me nuts...one is a regular stop light...that wont change for squat, and the other is a left turn lane that also wont change.

So instead of me turning left under a green turn light, Im supposed to wait until all four lanes get a green and yield until I see a clear spot...and hope to God some Georgia jack#ss doesnt run me over.

%&*##@$& TRAFFIC LIGHTS.

Ive tried sixteen times to contact someone to have them fixed, and have yet to find the right department.

So I do what I have to....and I hope they do ticket me for some infraction, cause so help me, they WILL see me in court.
There are magnets which are made for Motorcycles which you can install on your bike which will help the readers to recognize your bike. They're pretty cheap, and I've read that they work pretty good.

As for going to court for a ticket, be careful. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, in some jurisdictions it is STILL a violation to go through a red light, even if the lights are malfunctioning. The judge might be sympathetic and let you off though, but it still might be a chance you're taking.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #12
Werehusky
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninjette(sold), 2011 ZX-10r

I'll be sure to be on the lookout for them. But with how congested DFW is I'm almost never at an intersection alone.
Werehusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

I'm always expecting lights not to trigger, but I try to position the engine right over the front of the sensor where the middle line meets the front line. It seems to work on almost all the lights.

Also, with a pre-gen, you can reach your foot back to the centerstand and just tap it down on the ground which seems to help the sensor recognize the bike. I don't know if it does, but I'm happy with my placebo effect.
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote