ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Techno250
bikeless n00b

Name: Woody

Motorcycle(s): None yet. My dream machine is a BLUE 250R.

Question Finding a good dealership to buy from (Atlanta)

Last week I decided to start checking out local dealerships. I went and checked out one near where I work. It was a small dealership, and as I walked in a I was greeted by an older Japanese lady. The sales lady (younger Japanese lady) was on the phone with her internet people apparently, and I wandered around. Right on the modest showroom floor was a black 09 250, sticker $3,999. She was put on hold, and we talked a bit. She was very nice, and said it would be no prob to get in a blue 250, all I had to do was put down a $500 deposit (which I understand is standard procedure, right?). The rest of the dealership seemed kinda minimal, very little in the way of gear and helmets. I did notice that they appear to have a parts dept/service dept in the back when one of the techs came up front. Also, the shop looked like it hadn't changed since 1982. Not that that's a bad thing.

Today I went to the dealership near the house. It's really nice looking, awesome showroom, tons of bikes (but not a single 250), lots of helmets and gear, looks like a big shop in the back. I was greeted by the sales staff when I walked in, and they let me wander around a while. I checked out the gear, played with some helmets (wow, they are so light!), and looked at the bikes they did have. The salesman came over and teased me about wandering around then we talked about making a purchase. I right off told him that I wasn't buying today, but he was very helpful. He did tell me though, that Kawasaki had raised the list price by $500 to $4499 for the 09 250s. I kept my poker face, but thought his pricing was interesting. (If I'm correct, the list on the 08 was $3499, and the 09 is $3999, right?) They do also have a special on gear if you purchase with the bike (employee price), and can roll the gear purchase into your financing. He also was able to refer me to a local insurance agent as well.

So here's my quandry so far: The smaller, more modest shop had a better price, but the nicer, bigger shop was $500 higher in price. I got good feelings from both, except for the fudging on the list price from the big shop, and the lack of gear at the small shop.

So, what do y'all think? Should I keep looking around for other dealerships? How do these two places sound to you?

Last futzed with by Techno250; May 9th, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Techno250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

When you buy a bike the dealer is more likely to give you a discount on gear to go along, or after your purchase. I've seen where they raised the price of the 09 to $4500 and ws curious about it as well. In another shop across town they have them for $4000. Both shops are furnished with fine equipment and vehicles. What gives?
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #3
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

the shop has less display gears doesn't mean they can't order from you.
i would go with the smaller shop cuz they seem honest.
the bigger shop seems like they were reeling you for a big purchase.
not to mention the premium that you should never have to pay for.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Techno250
bikeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
the bigger shop seems like they were reeling you for a big purchase.
Ya know, I did kinda get that feeling, come to think of it.

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #5
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I still see 2009 msrp of $3999 (red, blue, or black) on kawi web site. Interesting I also see $300 off on a 2008 250R?? I guess there are some 2008s somewhere???
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #6
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

I would go with the small shop. The fudging on the sticker price would have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Old May 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #7
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

The big stealerships are all about the sale and making that commission. They will tell you an out the ddor price just for the bike and sales tax, but where they try to hit you is in the other BS fees that crank up the price. Bottom line is tell them you only want to spend X amount of dollars(low ball them) and see how it goes. If they cant do it walk out the door, cause most likely they are full of crap.
Personally I like the smaller mom and pop stores that are more into fair deals than competing with the top sales dude for that bonus...
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I think the best otd price should win.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #9
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I would go with the smaller shop. They by no means tried to pull a fast one. They are also likely to appreciate your business in the future as well. And as Tin said they may be able to order what gear they don't have... Though most of the time it might be easier to get it online...

The dealership is a good place to try on gear though!!

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #10
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

If it's anything like the bike shops near where I live then you will get better aftersales from the small shop.... Our nearest big bike shop (2 mins from my house) are great if they think you want to spend £10k on an R1 and will bend over backwards to help.. once they've sold to you it's a different story as the staff only seem to care about their large commissions...
zail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Techno250
bikeless n00b

Thanks for the advice, y'all. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but was worried that the small shop wouldn't be there for me after the sale. Good to know that it's typically the big shop that's like that.

I really got a great feeling from that small shop. I know this sounds silly, but just the idea that the people there were Asian somehow seemed to add to the good vibe.

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #12
kkim

did you get anything in writing? ask for a detailed sales agreement with the OTD pricing when you put down a deposit. That way there are no surprises the day you go to pick up your bike when all the fees are totaled up.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #13
andrewwoo
WHEE!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Kawi 250R

oo i got teh 09 250r OTD at 4800.. and i might be getting 200 more cause of a MSF class!
andrewwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwoo View Post
oo i got teh 09 250r OTD at 4800.. and i might be getting 200 more cause of a MSF class!
wut?

Old May 9th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #15
andrewwoo
WHEE!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Kawi 250R

haha sorry for the confusion.

at colemans, in falls church, VA, I made a deal with them on the kawi 250r black one for $4800 out the door, but I didn't get my coupon of $200 off any bike purchase until i took the MSF class. So when i get my bike, I would like to get my $200 off on top of the $4800, so it will come down to $4600. after tax title and licensing.
andrewwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #16
rookie
ninjette.org member

Name: chuck

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250 2007 ZX6R

Man thats seems high i got my 08 otd for like 3900
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #17
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

Ok kids...here's the scoop. Dealer markup on japanese motorcycles is 15% over cost. Only other charges you get hit for are freight, setup, tax, and license fees.

Freight should be no more than $250 or so. When I was selling bikes back in '03, freight was running around $160 a bike. But gas was cheaper then.

Setup is 1.5 hours labor, and is usually performed by the newbie mechanic who gets paid hourly at $10-12 an hour. Basically, he uncrates the bike, puts fluids in it, and put on mirrors/handlebars, etc. So, you can cough up $100 max for that. Just in case they had to pay a commision rate mechanic to do it.

Taxes and license fees vary by state. Here in CA, a good formula is the sales price plus about 10.5%

Assuming that you can get a bike all day long at 10% off the retail price, leaving the dealer a 5% profit or so...a 09 ninja 250 would be......

$3600
250 freight
100 setup
-------------
$3950 + tax license

in CA, sales tax is paid at 8.75% at time of purchase, so total OTD cost is

$4364.75

The 10% off rule should work on any bike really. Don't ever believe a dealership when they tell you a bike is a "hot" or "hard to find" model if they happen to have one for sale on the floor. Only bikes that are sold before they get to the dealership are "hot", "high demand" or "hard to find". All others should be no prob getting 10% off retail.
speedgsx98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #18
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

I was in a similar position when I bought my 250R. The big dealership with the gigantic showroom didn't really want to give me a discount on the Ninja, and I heard from a colleague of mine that their service costs are damn high. I don't yet know how costly the service costs of the smaller dealer is. The smaller Kawasaki dealer gave me an 8% discount, and they were also friendlier, so I ended up buying there.

The good thing about the big dealership is the proximity - I can get there by train in about 45 minutes from home, and about 15 minutes from work. Getting to the smaller dealer in the city (Vienna) takes me about 1.5 hours from home, and about 1 hour from work by train.

I'm not so sure now if it was worth buying from the smaller dealer. Getting my bike serviced there is a pain in the a** because it's so far away. My bike's still standing there, for nearly 2 weeks now, because the insurance people take so damn long filling out the reports or whatever. Picking up the bike and having to drive it back after a week or so would've been too bothersome. I guess I'll get it fixed and serviced at the large dealership next time, hoping they won't make me wait long because I didn't buy the bike from them. (The 1000 km service was very fast at the smaller dealer). I guess if you've got a car, proximity isn't really an issue, though.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #19
Techno250
bikeless n00b

Kelly, I haven't put any money down yet, and haven't signed anything. Shopping for the dealership before I buy the bike.

Thanks for the breakdown, Dave. I have a feeling that will match up with the smaller dealership.

Ben, I have a similar tradeoff, but luckily the smaller dealership is very near to work, so for service I can just roll the bike up into my truck and drop it off, then drive about 5 mins to work.

So, I think I've decided on the smaller dealership.

I don't know if there's a policy about mentioning or discussing specific dealerships, but that smaller dealership is Kawasaki City South in Riverdale, GA. When I go to do the deal, I'll update this thread with my experiences.

Thanks again, everyone!

Old May 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #20
kkim

good luck!

Old May 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #21
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

My technique is to decide which bike I want. I then go to each dealership and tell them I'm going to buy the lowest out the door price I can find. Have them write it down then go to the next place and show it to them. By doing this you can find the bottom dollar price in your area.
Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #22
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill N View Post
My technique is to decide which bike I want. I then go to each dealership and tell them I'm going to buy the lowest out the door price I can find. Have them write it down then go to the next place and show it to them. By doing this you can find the bottom dollar price in your area.
Bill
Sounds like a good technique. I personally don't really like the whole bargaining side of buying automobiles. I guess because I'm a bit polite and gentle, and not really a hardass who's good at negotiating. I feel a bit unsatisfied knowing that some other people might have managed to get a slightly better deal.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #23
Techno250
bikeless n00b

I hear what you're saying, Bill, but I don't want to buy at the lowest price from a crappy dealership. I also don't want to be taken advantage of, which was the feeling I got at the bigger dealership.

Has anyone here bought cheap from a dealership, and had problems later with the dealership? That's one of my concerns.

Old May 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #24
kkim

You do know you can take your bike in to any Kawasaki dealer after you purchase for warranty and/or service, don't you?

You don't have to use the same dealer you purchased from.

Old May 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #25
Techno250
bikeless n00b

oh, of course! But I figure they gotta prep the bike and stuff before it goes out the door, so I don't want to deal with problems caused by the dealership screwing up. I guess I've learned over the years that buying cheap isn't always the best deal. Thus the reasons for my questions here.

Old May 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #26
kkim

like was mentioned earlier, the guy that preps the bikes is most likely a kid hired at minimum wage to pull the bikes out of the crates and set them up.

I trust no one and when I got my bike home, it sat in my garage for a few days until I adjusted and tightened everything to my satisfaction. I did run the bike a few times in between to break it it and get a feel of the bike, but most of the time was spent assuring myself it was put together correctly.

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #27
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I did tell you what the "larger shop" (Cycle City in Newnan) did to me, right? They sold my bike to someone offering more after I had a deposit on it and purposely didn't tell me until it was too late to get one from any other local dealer so that they could do a hard sell (strung me along with fake delays). We agreed on MSRP with cash on hand AND I bought all my gear there when we did it. I was furious!

They sold it through their sister dealership in Roopville/Carrollton, so avoid them too. The "smaller shop" in Riverdale was still expecting one more and they let me get away with a $250 deposit, but Kawasaki canceled on them. I got lucky because a dealer close to some family of mine in West Virginia (Swampfox in VA) had four arrive that day with no deposits due to them not being expected (they bought another local dealer and the bikes were being rationed out, so they were not supposed to get the orders intended for both dealers). Even though they arrived unexpectedly less than 24hrs earlier, they only had ONE left, which I snagged right away. Big Daddy in Fayette gave me good vibes and are also a small shop. The people at the small Riverdale dealer were very nice/accommodating and apologetic when Kawi canceled the rest of the '08s, though it wasn't their fault.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote