ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Help me buy a bike with less power

I remember a while back some people here were talking about their road bikes. I am in the process of trying to buy one for around 100 on craigslist.

Could anyone give me some tip/tricks on how to distinguish a good/bad bike

Should someone like me with no experience whatsoever on a road bike get a fixie. And also, what are some good brands? I remember seeing some vintage Peugeot bikes.

But my point is, I know jack about road bikes so could you give me some info plz?
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Well, if your looking for less power (and I don't see why you would!) ... get a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 ... it's a got good ride, but is less the bike than any 250. Or just get a got scooter ... I saw a post about a guy riding a neat little Honda all over the place, a Ruckus? Search it up and see what ticks.

But hey, I don't know jack about other brands. All I've ever ridden is Honda and Kawas...

Should you get a fixie (new term to me)? Not unless you can tell a left handed spanner wrench from a right handed spanner wrench...

Just don't buy anything that has been dropped and abused, it will be obvious to the naked eye.

Yeah, I know, not much help .... sorry.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Are you talking about bicycles?

Old April 20th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
I remember a while back some people here were talking about their road bikes. I am in the process of trying to buy one for around 100 on craigslist.

Could anyone give me some tip/tricks on how to distinguish a good/bad bike

Should someone like me with no experience whatsoever on a road bike get a fixie. And also, what are some good brands? I remember seeing some vintage Peugeot bikes.

But my point is, I know jack about road bikes so could you give me some info plz?
The problem with a fix-er-up-er is road bike parts are generally expensive. Better to get something at least in good working condition. My dad had an old Peugeot Touring bike, probably 1985-ish, and all the wear and tear items had gone to pasture. Had to replace the front and rear derailers, brake cables and shifter cables, brake pads, seat, tires, etc. Bike shop quote was $300 including labor. Did all the work myself, and it ended up being $100 and change. Bike still rides great today.

Old April 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

sorry, i should have been more clear in stating that I was talking about a road bicycle. Thx everyone
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #6
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

Road bike have come a long way since I was into biking in late 80's to early 90's. The biggest advancement is the trigger shifter where the shifter and brake lever is integrated as one unit. The old style is the index shifter were you have to reach down to your bike's down tube to shift gears.

The other advancement is that you got lot more gears to shift. I use to only have 7 gear cassette on the back and two rings on front so that make it a 14 speed bike. Today's you got 10 gear cassette out back and some even have 3 rings on front which make it 30 speeds. 2-1/2 times more gear ratio to choose from!

With your budget an older steel or aluminum frame is more likely as carbon frames still cost a fortune. Steel frame bikes ride more comfortable and more forgiving while aluminum frame ride a lot more stiff and harsh in general just like motorcycle frames.

If this is your first bike, then I don't recommend going with a fixie or single speed even thought they're in fashion or in vogue but the truth is most people who got a single speed bike are on their third or forth bike after their road, mountain, DH, cruiser/commuter bikes. Do you drive a car with single speed?, a motorcycle with one gear? so a bicycle with one gear is cool to look at but other then that it make no sense to me, unless you're into gathering around coffe shops to shoot the BS thats 1 miles away from you house.
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2009, 05:12 AM   #7
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
sorry, i should have been more clear in stating that I was talking about a road bicycle. Thx everyone
Your "Title" threw me off, because you said "less power!"

You will be the "power!" By choosing different gearing, you can vary the "effort" needed by your body to power the bike.

If you're mechanically inclined, you might even consider building yourself a road bike. That is what I did 20+ years ago. I'm pretty sure Cannondale will still sell a frame/fork combination. Down the road, if you want to upgrade, then you can trade the frame in and get a discounted new one.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote