ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

View Poll Results: Which system does thou prefer?
PC 59 76.62%
Mac 18 23.38%
iphone or other apple products 0 0%
PDAs (Blackberrys and such) 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

I just have to know, are you a Mac or PC?

I don't want to cause any battles, but I am curious of what kind of users we got here.

And if you have converted either way, could you explain why? Oh and to let the Mac people know, PCs can also run OS.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #2
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

PC here. Don't get me wrong. Mac is probably better than PC. However, the price range is out of reach for most of us or we choose not to pay the extra premium for basic computing.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Well I guess I'm a PC.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Red'09250
ninjette.org member

Name: P

Motorcycle(s): Red '09 250

PC. Macs have irritating advertising.
Red'09250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #5
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
Mac is probably better than PC.
FYI, Macs have PC intel processors.

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

PC AND BlackBerry

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #7
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Mac all the way. I switched from a PC back around 2002. We switched because I been hearing about macs for years but had never used one. Now, 'cept for work, I won't go back to a pc. I am used to it and I like the way it runs. Along with the higher initial cost, there is a lot of programs that you can't get for a Mac, esp games, but for the most part, there has only been 1 or 2 times that I was rather upset that I couldn't get a program in mac. Before apple switched to intel brains, you could get a pc emulator and now you can have a mac run both mac and windows, and at the same time. Plus I'm just different, gotta go my own way.

To quote someone else on a different thread, "PC's are like bellybuttons"

just my 2c

nb

Old June 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #8
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
To quote someone else on a different thread, "PC's are like bellybuttons"
Full of lint?

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #9
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

First Mac was an SE bought in '88. Taking inflation into account it cost about the same as my 250r did this year. I wonder which was the most fun?
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

I have a PC and an iPhone. My next laptop will be a MacBook, especially since they recently dropped the price.

2008 Ebony Ninja 250R (a.k.a. "Venom")
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #11
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

PC and BlackBerry. Cause I like things that actually do something and not just sit there and look good. The one and only thing that Macs used to be good for was graphics since Adobe was obsessed with them. Now that Adobe changed their focus to the PC market for performance reasons and the fact that business do not want to have a different platform in their graphics department from the rest of the company, there is no practical reason to have a Mac that is less compatible, less productive, and less capable than PC's that are half the price.

If you have a sense of humor...folllow these links. If you get offended easily...don't follow these links.

The real difference between Macs and PCs: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant

The iPhone: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #12
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

PC

Macs look great, but that's about where it ends. My ex-gf bout a mac for school because the professors went on about how great they are...
-She paid almost 4,000 for a MB Pro while I paid just over 1000 for my notebook that had higher specs (with the exception that she had a 17" screen while I had a 15" screen)
-After paying 4000 for a notebook, she then had to go out and spend another couple hundred to buy windows to put on the mac to run most of the architecture programs.

The thing that gets me about macs is that they bash windows so much (while half of there bashing is not even close to the truth), but every mac owner I know has put windows on their mac through dual booting or bootcamp.

They are build great and they look great. but they are WAY over priced, and they trash an operating system that a lot of mac owners end up having to put on their computer anyways to run the programs they need.

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #13
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

PC....BUT, I abhor vista. It makes me want to jump off a bridge into a pit of hungry baby alligators.
XP is where it's at. I use my computer for absolutely everything, including all my games, and I don't feel like paying more than $1k for a computer, so I'm a PC.

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #14
kazam58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya1981 View Post
The real difference between Macs and PCs: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant
haha, that's hysterical.

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #15
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
PC....BUT, I abhor vista. It makes me want to jump off a bridge into a pit of hungry baby alligators.
XP is where it's at. I use my computer for absolutely everything, including all my games, and I don't feel like paying more than $1k for a computer, so I'm a PC.
Horay for Windows 7! too bad it still has some bugs =/

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #16
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
Well considering that it's still in beta and has less bugs in it then vista did when it went retail, I'd say things are going better so far for Windows 7.

I'm most definitely 110% a pc. I'm a gamer and sorry, but MAC has NOTHING on a custom built PC for gaming performance. In order to get close to the gaming performance of my current pc (not even top of the line mind you) I would probably have had to spend nearly 4x the amount. I just don't see it as worth it to get less for more. I use windows xp pro since vista sucks especially for games (sorry but directx 10 isn't worth the cons of vista). I'm waiting to see how windows 7 progresses and if it's going to live up to all the reviews I've read so far.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #17
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya1981 View Post

If you have a sense of humor...folllow these links. If you get offended easily...don't follow these links.

The iPhone: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
Those sites are bloody crackup. I have a PC, and am going to buy a laptop in a few days which will also be a PC.

Good thing about Macs for me is that you cannot get viruses, but bad thing is that you can't play games! I'll NEED MY GAMES WHILE IN UNI!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #18
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

PC running Ubuntu

Steve

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #19
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

My mac laptop has been the best experience ever. I have owned several PC laptops, desktops and PC based PDA's, but the mac is the best interface I have seen.

I like PC's because I can build them very easily and cheaply, and XP is a dang good OS. I totally refuse to purchase anything that has "Vista" even near it.

In short, right now, I have a PC for photoshop/audio editing, a PC that I need to pull files off of, another PC that I need to erase and sell, another PC that my wife uses for her iTunes storage (and it fails at that), a busted PC laptop (HD died after 1.5 years), and my mac laptop.

I am going to build a quadcore gaming computer that is PC based. I would install OSX on there, but my wife doesn't want to "need to learn something new". It isn't like she is a geek, she just wants to put stuff on iTunes and such. Oh well, XP is cheap right now, so I'll go that route. Vista can kiss it!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
Those sites are bloody crackup. I have a PC, and am going to buy a laptop in a few days which will also be a PC.

Good thing about Macs for me is that you cannot get viruses, but bad thing is that you can't play games! I'll NEED MY GAMES WHILE IN UNI!
Why not get a windows emulator and run those windows based games on OSX?

On the bright side, PC's are dirt cheap...

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #21
Lars
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796 (red)

In my mind, I don't find it practical to spend $3k+ on a Mac, when I can spend under $1k and build a PC that outperforms it. Hell, my laptop that I bought a year ago for $1100 would still cost $2500 today from the Apple store (just checked their site), and my laptop is in many ways still superior.

My home PC's run Vista or Windows 7 beta (except my netbook which runs Ubuntu).

I think people's hate of Vista is largely image related, people without any experience with it seem to be the people most vocal against it. I've been using it since it came out without any problems whatsoever.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #22
Lars
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
Good thing about Macs for me is that you cannot get viruses,
This is not correct.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #23
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
In my mind, I don't find it practical to spend $3k+ on a Mac, when I can spend under $1k and build a PC that outperforms it. Hell, my laptop that I bought a year ago for $1100 would still cost $2500 today from the Apple store (just checked their site), and my laptop is in many ways still superior.

I think people's hate of Vista is largely image related, people without any experience with it seem to be the people most vocal against it. I've been using it since it came out without any problems whatsoever.
This is exactly why I don't have a mac. I'm not about to pay 3 grand for a machine with those specs, I spent about 3 grand on my pc (after i broke my knee cap a while back) and it's a quad core running at 4.0 ghz, 8gb ram, 3x 9800 gtx+ (3 video cards), so why get a mac for that same price =s ( I do like the os, just hate how they're so lacking in performance)
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #24
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

I'm a sysadmin, and if Apple would just stay the hell out of the business world I'd be perfectly happy. Windows/Linux is a pretty happy mesh for me. I'm fine with Macs for home users- Apple just doesn't have the mindset that supports user management in the way it needs to be in a business environment.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #25
kazam58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
Yeah, I'm looking forward to 7. Unfortunately it won't come out before I go to college. I'll just have to endure the first few months without laptop, something that I am not looking forward to, lol.

Quote:
I have to disagree. We have 3 computers, two desktops and this netbook, which run XP and we have one laptop that runs Vista. The Vista based laptop was the biggest PITA I've ever encountered for the first few months. It runs perfectly fine now, but boy did I have to live through a headache to get it this point. The XP computers were easy to setup, and I've never had any problems or frustrations with them.
I'm also simply more familiar with the XP platform, which obviously makes me biased towards it. Vista, to me, seemed to try way to hard to be "user friendly" if you follow what I mean. They have a wizard for everything and everything is dumbed down, which really pisses me off, because I actually take the time to figure out all the advanced settings myself. Also, some things just seem really hard to get to in Vista, as if they don't want you to mess with them. This is just my two cents.

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Here are the OS stats for people visiting ninjette.org:

And the browsers they are using:

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #27
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

That chart scares me ><

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It gets scarier when you look at the details behind the summary. There are as many people visiting this site with IE 6.0 or earlier, as there are with 7.0 or later. I've had conversations with some folks still on 6.0 about what a bad idea it can be for so many reasons, but it hasn't changed anyones behavior so I gave up.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #29
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2006 honda Ruckus

I have a mac, a PC, and an iphone, so I can't really answer. ;-P
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #30
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It gets scarier when you look at the details behind the summary. There are as many people visiting this site with IE 6.0 or earlier, as there are with 7.0 or later. I've had conversations with some folks still on 6.0 about what a bad idea it can be for so many reasons, but it hasn't changed anyones behavior so I gave up.
*sympathy shudder*

Old June 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #31
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

PC & XP Pro. I can't even stand using my daughters ipod so I don't think I be switching over to a mac anytime.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #32
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

wow, those charts are amazing alex. hey, I was wondering what kind of server set up you have for your two websites.

Old June 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Ninjette.org is currently run on a very large shared server at an ISP, along with a large number of other websites (not mine). I believe they are using CentOS, a Linux variant that is optimized for web and application services. We don't have nearly enough traffic to warrant a stand-alone server as of yet, but that certainly may change at some point.

Old June 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #34
kkim

what happens to ninjette content if your shared servers were to go out of business today?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Don't worry about it.

Old June 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #36
Graphic Twist
- beyond titles -

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (Black)

I switched to Mac about 3 years ago. Made the switch because Mac is the industry standard in my business and not knowing it puts you at a major disadvantage.

Now I just like Mac for it's ease of use and (relatively) low maintenance requirements. Plus I hate Microsoft for a whole slew of reasons, but they're more about IE than Windows or Vista...
Graphic Twist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #37
TheGoodLyfe
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Looking For 2008 Ninja 250R

Gotta stick with my PC. Mac's look amazing...but my wallet just can't handle that sort of investment!
TheGoodLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #38
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:

Wow I have heard that time and time again.

"I can spend 1k and build it myself..."

I can spend roughly the same amount and build an awesome computer that runs OSX.

Comparing a top flight, brand new, Mac Pro to "something I build" isn't apples to apples. I can go to best buy and lay down hard cash on a $3K PC, and they will be comparable.

I can build a mac for far less than what apple charges and it will be a quad-core setup as well.

I like both PC's and Mac's, each for different reasons. Mac is more stable, overall a cleaner OS and more user friendly. PC's are nice because of gaming options, people very willing to offer freeware and all kinds of extras for them. If you want a super cheap setup, then PC is the only way to go. There are too many variables to say "this is better than that". They each have pro's and con's.

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #39
Red'09250
ninjette.org member

Name: P

Motorcycle(s): Red '09 250

so roughly 5.5% of ninjette.org users use Mac opposed to PC.

15,833,927 people can't be wrong!

But who the hell uses windows 3.1?
Red'09250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #40
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I also noticed that there were many visitors running Windows 3.1!!! My God, that came out in, what, 1991? I'm amazed that it can even run a web browser...