ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

View Poll Results: Which system does thou prefer?
PC 59 76.62%
Mac 18 23.38%
iphone or other apple products 0 0%
PDAs (Blackberrys and such) 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #41
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I have to agree with you apex. In some applications the Mac does better then PC and visa verse. I stick with PC because of gaming, the MUCH larger selection of components to customize it, and the larger selection of programs to use.

However I have seen some programs on Mac that are better. Like the video editing software is SUPPOSED to be better with Mac (having not tried them I wouldn't know personally). I believe the office type programs are supposed to be better as well on Mac, but again, no personal experience.

Just don't think that you're immune to viruses on a Mac. The ONLY reason you don't see anywhere near as many viruses for the Mac is because hackers don't bother much with them. They know that there are far more places that use a Microsoft based OS over a Mac based and therefore stick to the larger playing field to find more open doors.

Also the reason why you don't see as many problems with hardware compatibility is because only Apple makes Mac. They don't have to worry about the slight differences in components and drivers the way that PC's do. That part helps make the Mac more user friendly and easier for techs to work on. When you talk to tech support for a Mac they know what to expect with the type of Mac you have. PC tech support has to ask dozens of questions to find out just what you have in your computer so they can begin to help you.

So they both have their pros and cons to the ones that use them and the ones that work on them.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #42
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Hmm, I should go crack open Firefox on my server and jack up the BSD numbers... I have VM's for Solaris and BeOS around here as well. Nothing like messing with the server logs to make the site admin wonder: Who the hell are these people running outdated systems?

Old June 16th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #43
Lars
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post

I can build a mac for far less than what apple charges and it will be a quad-core setup as well.
Except for the fact that you can't legally build your own Mac box.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #44
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by patw View Post
Hmm, I should go crack open Firefox on my server and jack up the BSD numbers...
Not the first person to think of this. I've seen VIC-20's, Sinclairs, TRS-80's and more in webserver logs. I'm skeptical that any of them had a working tcp/ip stack, let alone a web browser, so I know there's some teenager out there cackling that they've edited that field the browser sends...

EDIT: re-read your comment and I initially misunderstood. You really do have a BSD server running that you can use to surf ninjette if you choose.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #45
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

PC with Win Vista Platform
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #46
Xuracing
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Cbr 600RR Cbr600F4i

pc and iphone
Xuracing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #47
patw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Not the first person to think of this. I've seen VIC-20's, Sinclairs, TRS-80's and more in webserver logs. I'm skeptical that any of them had a working tcp/ip stack, let alone a web browser, so I know there's some teenager out there cackling that they've edited that field the browser sends...

EDIT: re-read your comment and I initially misunderstood. You really do have a BSD server running that you can use to surf ninjette if you choose.
Yeah I do, but it's running pretty bare bones, I'd have to install the X11 libs and firefox to get that going. Fun, but the sysadmin in my says that's irresponsible

Old June 18th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #48
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
This is not correct.
I've always thought that you couldn't get a virus with a Mac, that blows that idea out the window. PC all the way for me then

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #49
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
I've always thought that you couldn't get a virus with a Mac, that blows that idea out the window. PC all the way for me then
Yep. Completely untrue. Especially if you consider that many viruses don't attack the operating system per se, but applications. If you're running Office 2003/08, there are existing viruses for that (and I clean them up at my clients on a fairly regular basis).

Honestly, I hate all operating systems equally If I could combine everything I like about Windows and Linux it would be pretty kickass. What bugs me about Mac is the misconceptions that they do nothing to dispell: that Macs "just work", that they don't get viruses, that they're easier to use...It's just not true in any of those cases.

I also despise the fact they won't let me repair any of their machines myself and I have to send them in >< but that's just because I like breaking stuff
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #50
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I'm loving this thread. Just about everything said on here, for and against either system, I have heard before from one person or another. I've known people that WILL NOT EVER HAVE A MAC or A PC; people that won't anything at all with ANYTHING made by apple, although they have never had anything made by the company. Me personally, I don't have anything against either system. Can't comment on Vista as I have never used it, I've seen it on friends computers and some have liked it and some hated it. Some of the features I have seen first on Apple, then on Windows and vice versa. I don't play computer games so the equipment to run them I don't need, and I have seen some games that really peaked my interest. Before I retired, the Army was using XP and for the most part, MY experience was good, few problems. Although after we got back from Iraq and everything got re-imagined, problems popped like mad. I was supposed to have mine done when we got in country, but I "forgot" to turn mine in and was one of the few that didn't have issues. Years ago I was told by someone that apple has always been the better system. But in the beginning, IBM told the world, "this is what you have to do for programs to run on a PC" Apple said" everything must come through me". So there was a much bigger world for PCs than Macs and it got much bigger and widespread. Don't know if that is true or not, but I have to quit typing now and get my butt ready and get to work.

Later

nb

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #51
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
Years ago I was told by someone that apple has always been the better system. But in the beginning, IBM told the world, "this is what you have to do for programs to run on a PC" Apple said" everything must come through me". So there was a much bigger world for PCs than Macs and it got much bigger and widespread. Don't know if that is true or not, but I have to quit typing now and get my butt ready and get to work.

Later

nb
You would be correct in that. IBM allowed others to make copies of their systems and see what they were capable of making. Apple on the other hand kept it all to themselves. This lead to the explosion of the PC market as manufacturers started popping up like mad. This also allowed for the manufacturers of PC's to start making more specialized units for different applications and start competing with one another. The competition between one another for a better system brought about the computer revolution. For years Apple would trail behind with just enough business to keep afloat until they decided to try compete with Microsoft as the core of the PC world.

One thing most users don't realize about the computer revolution is one particular type of user was the main target for it.................. the GAMERS!!! Most of the speed and power you see in PC's today is due to gamers wanting more and the manufacturers competing to give them that. Alot of users are happy with just a basic system with out a lot of flash. Not so with gamers, more processing power, more ram, more HD space, faster HD's, faster more powerful graphics cards, the list goes on. In the gaming world there's even competitions just for the biggest and best custom built computer. Things with dual quad-core processors, 16gig of ram, 4 top of the line graphics cards, liquid cooling, solid state HD's, etc etc.

The gaming world is one that MAC NEEDS to get into if they truly want to get ahead in the systems 'war'. For that they're going to have to start allowing more customized builds with component manufacturers.

Old June 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #52
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

PC, Windows XP x64 here. Never gave Vista a shot because it's bloated with crap which consumes way too much system memory. I'm really looking forward to Windows 7 - haven't tried the beta or release candidate yet, though.

Macs: don't like them due to lack of DirectX (required by most games), and smaller software selection than on Windows.

Unix variants: nice on servers which I don't have to administer. On my own computer: no thanks, I hate having to configure everything to get it to work. And again, no DirectX.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #53
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

<sigh>... Can't answer that one. My personal preference is OpenBSD on PC hardware or Mac. I also have an iPhone... MS Windows? Only at work, where I'm forced into it. Even here, I'll ssh into my home OpenBSD box and surf there. It's slower, but it feels sooooo much better!

@ CodE-E

I hate Windows for the same reason you don't like *nix. I hate to spend hours configuring a computer to get it the way I like it. In OpenBSD, it takes me an hour tops. With Windows, I end up spending days trying to get it just right...
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #54
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post

The gaming world is one that MAC NEEDS to get into if they truly want to get ahead in the systems 'war'. For that they're going to have to start allowing more customized builds with component manufacturers.

Oddly enough I saw an upper end graphics card the other day. While not the top of the tier, it's definitely a high end card....I guess it's nice for those who dual boot Windows for gaming on macs?

EVGA GTX 285 Mac Edition....$450.00
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW387ZM/A

Same spec GTX 275 for windows is $340?

Anyways, it's a start on some power support

Old June 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #55
sombo

Yes, that's definitely a start and quite needed for the macs. I'm sure they're learning that they need the gamers support to gain influence in the market. The happier the gamers are the more money they'll spend on your stuff and the more popular your company will be.

Old June 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM   #56
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

PC here...
Toshiba Satellite L355D laptop, Vista 32bit, Firefox browser

as to Vista, I've liked it since day 1 of getting my laptop
And it ran like a dream on my AlienWare Aurora ...
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM   #57
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I'm the black sheep here.

I run leopard on my PC (the apple OS). It's faster than my "real mac" I got at work.

I've been using windows for over 10 years hardcore, playing games, etc.. but IMO os x is way better than windows in everyday, at home usage unless you play games.

Old June 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM   #58
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

i'm a PC but would like to have a Mac. I get my computers free on loan from work so i can't complain about my pc's.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #59
patw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
I'm the black sheep here.

I run leopard on my PC (the apple OS). It's faster than my "real mac" I got at work.

I've been using windows for over 10 years hardcore, playing games, etc.. but IMO os x is way better than windows in everyday, at home usage unless you play games.
Not so black sheepish, I know a few guys with the hackintosh setups nowadays. I agree that OS X is the best non-gaming desktop environment you can have, I got hooked in the early days when they did the initial release and it was the only thing that allowed me to move away from my custom Ubuntu setup.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #60
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Dos3.1 FTW!!!!!!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM   #61
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by patw View Post
Not so black sheepish, I know a few guys with the hackintosh setups nowadays. I agree that OS X is the best non-gaming desktop environment you can have, I got hooked in the early days when they did the initial release and it was the only thing that allowed me to move away from my custom Ubuntu setup.
Yea, I agree that OS X does have its ups for office work types. Therefore, I plan on partitioning, umm maybe 30 gigs of my hard drive just to actually try it in my everyday use and not merely testing it for less than 30 mins.
Oh, and thank you guys for making my thread awesome
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:25 AM   #62
jola
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250R

Hehe.
jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #63
zeroth
weekend rider

Name: JC

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Btw, you can download a Release Candidate of Windows 7 for free from Micro$oft's website. It's fully functional until June 2010.

And also I've read alot about the Microsoft Office suite, and how it works better (i.e. nicer graphics, better-working features, less bugs) on a Mac than on a PC. Just a curious tidbit...

I'm a PC, mostly because I like to build my own computers and although Mark can build his own Mac, I've never heard of anyone doing it. I enjoy the support from a large community of DIYers, and a large selection of parts. Obviously it's more widely supported from the software standpoint also.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Apple. I am even considering a Mac laptop (probably running Ubuntu Linux) in the future. If I can spare the budget for it. They have great design and push the engineering envelope to make great hardware. They make a good OS also, but I believe that Apple is the past, Windows is the passing, and open source is the future for home computing, so I'm not interested in jumping in now. On the other hand, I think Apple has a great future ahead for personal mobile computing and communication applications.
zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM   #64
sombo

I like that comparison.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM   #65
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I just know I own both and I like/hate them equally.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:03 AM   #66
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Just bought my new laptop today, DC 2.20ghz, 4g ram, 1g graphics card, 320g harddrive, its a HP DV6 model.

Pretty happy about it, it wasn't the best laptop around, but with a bit of haggling I managed to get it down from $1600AUD to $1300AUD with extended warranty

Father: You can't do both son.

Last futzed with by miks; June 23rd, 2009 at 02:54 AM.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM   #67
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Oh boy, incoming essay:

I've got a 15" macbook pro that I got from my school 2 years ago and a 5-year-old PC. The idea that Mac is superior for design work is a myth. Yes it's an industry standard, but only because Apple pumps the industry full of their own products. Every 'feature' of OS X that Windows doesn't have is (to use a motorcycle term) a farkle.

In the two years of normal use (school work, web browsing, a few games here and there) that I've had my macbook, it's needed to be sent in for repair 5 times, and my hard drive has corrupted itself twice (to which apple basically said 'you're on your own'), and now everything USB (trackpad, keyboard, disc drive, usb ports, audio jacks) is slowly failing (but of course Apple won't fix it until it's completely broken) If it hadn't come with a 3-year Applecare program, I would have spent almost $2,000 on repairs to get it in working order. I also know that I can't just be unlucky, because everybody in my class of 70 got a macbook identical to mine, and almost every one has had problems. I've also got my macbook dual-booting with XP so I can play games, which has only caused me more problems.

In the five years of hard use and abuse of my PC, the only thing that's needed replacing is my power supply (twice) because I leave it on literally 24/7. It's survived 3 moves (hopefully 4 come Saturday) and half a dozen lan parties. I've run this thing into the ground, and while it can't run any current games anymore, it's still going strong as a word processor and an internet box. I'm also planning to build a brand new PC in the next couple weeks, probably for less money than I paid for this one 5 years ago.

OS X has its merits (and it's a beautiful OS) but most of the common ideas about Macs (better for artists, more stable, won't get viruses, etc) are false. Once you realize that, all you've got are some shiny aesthetics, a box you can't customize, and an overblown price tag. When I first got my macbook I was in love with it. I still like how simple the filesystem of OS X is set up (installing applications is usually as easy as drag-and-drop) and how smoothly it runs (when it's not broken) almost everything. I'm really not trying to flame Mac users (to each their own), but I'd never buy anything more expensive than an iPhone from Apple.
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:24 AM   #68
shift_6
ninjette.org member

Name: SHIFT

Motorcycle(s): 08 Candy Plasma Blue

MAC & PC... preference towards MAC, mainly for recording/music purposes

it's a lot more hassle free and no need for anti-virus (yet... in a couple of yrs tho itll be different)
shift_6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #69
rogue.guineapig
ninjette.org member

Name: Mac

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I am the perfect example of an ecumenicalist.

Mac has the most stable OS (and it runs better on a Mac :P) and so I own one of those.
(Out of all my tech crap it's the most reliable too).
PC has the best gaming and you can build one yourself, so I did that too.
But Linux makes the best OS for PC. Vista sucks, but Windows 7 might be worth
holding your breath for.

iPhones are cool, but the reception/audio sucks. I use a Blackberry for that, and I love it. The email on it is killer.

I like everything.
rogue.guineapig is offline   Reply With Quote