ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

just joined AF ROTC: any tips and tricks?

Hi all, I remember that many of you were in the military/ Air Force so, I am hoping that someone would kindly give me some help.

I am currently in my 2nd year of college and just joined last week. Since I am already 1 year and 2 weeks behind I will be having to double up on the courses. I am going to try and become a pilot, if not, would like to be a Public Affairs Officer or Intelligence

Just from one visit to the place, I noticed a big difference and a "culture shock" if you will. Anyways, my physical test is on friday. I am not too worried about it but, I haven't ran in some years. They require a 12 min. for 1 1/2 miles. I think it is possible (due to my 20+ mile bike rides from time to time) but I have not timed myself in a while. So I am going to have to do some quick training. Any tips on what to do? Should I focus more on sprints or longer distances?

ty for any help
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Well you could do both really. One of the types of runs the "special" pt group did when I was in the army to help us on the 2mile run was to basically run the course doing one sprint, one jog, one sprint, one jog, and so on to build up endurance. Biggest thing is to NEVER STOP MOVING!!!!

If you stop moving your body will seriously get sluggish. I know this from experience cause that would happen to me.

The one course we usually ran was on a straight stretch road that had lamp posts evenly spaced the whole way. If you have a place that has objects like (massive parking lot maybe or something open enough to not have obstacles) you can try that. It builds up both your regular endurance and your speed/endurance for the run. I personally felt that style of running helped me the most since the 2mile run was absolutely my weakest event. After doing those alot in the special pt program I got a LOT better at running in the time needed.

Usually the first test is just to see where you are so they know what to help you improve on. Either way, good luck!
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

1.5 mile run isn't that bad. I could always shoot past it in the service. Don't just do running, also try to do squats, calf raises, etc to build up the muscles in your legs.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #4
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Work your way up...start off running that 1.5 miles, but dont time yourself....just run it. Then the next time check your time....the next time try to run it faster....and so on. Ideally you want to get your mile time under 6 minutes.

I agree with Apex...you're gonna need squats, pushups, and all the other exercises as well.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I would concentrate on long distance running. Do 2 mile runs so when it comes time for the 1.5 mile run it won't be a big deal. Like Apex said also start doing leg excercises. Good luck.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #6
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I'd hold off on the leg workouts. While it would def help, you dont have much time and you dont wanna go in sore. IId mainly do what others have said and focus on jogging and sprinting , 2 min of jogging 45 seconds of sprinting. And do distances longer than 1.5 mi so by the time you gotta do that it will be much easier. Any ways, good luck and I salute your decision and would like to say thank you.

Old February 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #7
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

8 minute pace and your not fat howard. I think you can pull it off. I remember they use to bring new recruits to the track at school to do their 1.5 while we had practice after 3 times they quit doing it at the time of our practice.

Old February 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Talking

Lots of good advice there. Don`t run the day before--instead do streches and have a pasta dinner (you need carbs) Before you run, again do stretches, and when you run, take it slow for about 100 yards, and then get into a comfortable pace. Your muscles need to warm up just like your tires do before you put the hammer down. Good luck, and thank you for choosing to serve your country. (When I was in the service, I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes---Airborne all the way)
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #9
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
(When I was in the service, I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes---Airborne all the way)
haha, I prefer to be a pilot forcing the enemy to jump out of their planes

and thanks for all of the tips everyone! I am going to see how long I can last on the track tonight :/
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Here is a thread that has some more good advice on running.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35978
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote