ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:07 PM   #1
quanttrom
ninjette.org member

Name: QUANT

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Yet Another Cigarette Lighter Socket Install

I was looking for a simple clean install that will let me plug in a GPS or other portable devices. Also, I wanted something with the least amount of components, wires and relays all over the bike.

I was NOT interested in using the cig lighter socket for heated gear. This method cannot provide enough current for that type of equipment.

My solution to this common problem involved tapping into the power supply of the instrument cluster backlights. The backlights are already switched by the ignition key so we are all good ! I chose what I believe to be a nice relatively flat portion close to the steering of the bike and got to work !

Here is what came out of all this !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120303_140801.jpg (82.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120303_154201.jpg (113.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120303_154216.jpg (92.2 KB, 48 views)
quanttrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Looks very good! I am planning on doing something similar, but a USB Port instead. I've got the pieces, I just need the time!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Looks good! You should make a short DIY further detailing the install (even if it is as easy as it looks).

I am thinking about doing the same thing, but tbvh I literally suck at things with wires :O
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #4
quanttrom
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Looks very good! I am planning on doing something similar, but a USB Port instead. I've got the pieces, I just need the time!
That was my initial idea as well ! I just had difficulties finding a weatherproof USB receptacle. I didn't search long but Digikey seemed to have some options that kind of stuck out higher then I wanted them to.
There was also this series of connectors from Samtec http://www.samtec.com/ProductInforma...px?series=SCRU but it didn't quite fit what I wanted.

What are you planning on using?

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM   #5
quanttrom
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
Looks good! You should make a short DIY further detailing the install (even if it is as easy as it looks).

I am thinking about doing the same thing, but tbvh I literally suck at things with wires :O
If people are interested,why not ! There are literally 2 wires to connect ! You can't mess it up !

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM   #6
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanttrom View Post
If people are interested,why not ! There are literally 2 wires to connect ! You can't mess it up !
Haha, watch me

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #7
leed
ninjette.org sage

A long time ago, I found this:

http://www.powerlinkproducts.co.uk/u...ingsocket.html

It does stick out a bit, though. But it's fully weatherproof (IP67 can be submersed in 1M or maybe 5M for 10 minutes). I cannibalized some electronics and some free stuff that are actually designed for cigarette lighter ports. It won't be waterproof, but none of my electronics are either! Besides that, I can always get a waterproof-ish plug to plug into the port when not in use.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #8
quanttrom
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
A long time ago, I found this:

http://www.powerlinkproducts.co.uk/u...ingsocket.html

It does stick out a bit, though. But it's fully weatherproof (IP67 can be submersed in 1M or maybe 5M for 10 minutes). I cannibalized some electronics and some free stuff that are actually designed for cigarette lighter ports. It won't be waterproof, but none of my electronics are either! Besides that, I can always get a waterproof-ish plug to plug into the port when not in use.
That's quite the find ! Seems to fit the bill perfectly !

Water rating of 7 is immersion in 1m of water for 30 mins. It should be more then adequate for our applications.

Old March 4th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #9
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Mhmmm usb sexiness.

Old March 4th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #10
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I found this Linky which fits right in the front pouch of my tank bag.
However, your install is very clean, wonder if I can make this fit in that same area.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Nice, clean install.

I did one that it is temporary so that I could remove it when not in use and use my battery tender for my battery charger & portable air pump as well. I used a inexpensive 12v outlet from Walmart, spliced it onto one end of a 3 ft battery tender extension (loomed it for protection, then installed the other end of the battery tender directly to the battery. It mounts with some strong velcro to the bar underneath the gauges for a temporary mount. It is also long enough to put in a tank bag if necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: png 12v outlet mod.jpg_thumb.png (786.3 KB, 95 views)

Last futzed with by DaBlue1; March 5th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #12
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

1st thing i installed on my bike... must have POWA

Old March 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #13
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Nice, clean install. I did one that it is temporary so that I could remove it when not in use and use my battery tender for my battery charger & portable air pump as well. I used a inexpensive 12v outlet from Walmart, spliced it onto one end of a 3 ft battery tender extension (loomed it for protection, then installed the other end of the battery tender directly to the battery. It mounts with some strong velcro to the bar underneath the gauges for a temporary mount. It is also long enough to put in a tank bag if necessary.
Nice. Having the battery tender always connected would be a huge plus in my books.

I would love to do something like this or what the OP did above.

Old March 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #14
quanttrom
ninjette.org member

Here is what I am gonna use to get my +5V USB plug.

It's nice a low profile and should fit in rather nice.

Got it from monoprice for a couple of bucks.

EDIT: The fact that the max input is 12V@1.2A but output is 5V@2.1A makes me believe that they are using a switching mode regulator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120305_145503.jpg (26.5 KB, 5 views)

Old March 5th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #15
quanttrom
ninjette.org member

So I am not sure what else a high level DIY would include. Here is a draft !

Get yourself some wellnuts since you might as well replace the old dried up ones that are already in there.

I took apart most of the front of the bike. Removed the front fairings completely including the dash in order to take the plastic out.

NOTE: YOU MUST KEEP THE DASH FACING UP AT ALL TIMES !!
No idea why, the manual told me to do it.
When you are removing the dash, unscrew the speed sensing wire from your front hub. Be careful not to get it dirty, it will slide out of it's housing !
Now remove the dash and set it aside.

Finally take out the plastic and bring it to your workbench.

Find a nice spot where you can mount your cig lighter socket. I found a relatively nice spot that won't get in the way even with the USB cable sticking out of it. Look at the pictures.Make sure your new socket won't get in the way and interfere with the frame when you put the plastic back in.

Make a template of your cigarette lighter hole and once your are satisfied with the positioning make a nice hole with a dremel and some sanding bits.

Secure your socket in there and you are now ready to do some electrical work !

Keep the key in the OFF position UNLESS measuring.

The positive (+) in the cigarette lighter is the center connection.
The negative are the wings/springs on the side that hold the plug into the socket.

The positive wire that you need to splice into is colored red with a blue strip. The negative wire is black with a yellow strip. Disconnect the dash connector and MEASURE the wires before working on them. Make sure you have the right wires ! +12 V when your key is in the ignition and On. I suggest splicing into the wires instead of cutting them. It is less intrusive.
Note that you can take the copper contact OUT of the connector itself. Note the positioning before taking the wires out or only take out one wire at a time.Be gentle ! Using a sharp metal object: small nail, etc push down on the tab that is holding them into the connector and pull out the wire. I cannot stress how gentle you should be. If the tab that holds them inside the connector is pressed in properly the should require very little force to come out.
One you have spliced into the wires and you think you have your polarity right, verify. If satisfied push the wires back in the connector and you should be good !

You can reference the wiring diagram in this post for more info:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35886
The dash connector is on the very left in the center.

The power rail that we are splicing to is fused using the "Tailight Fuse" @ 10A. If your taillight/breaklight is not working this will be the first fuse to look into !

The other loads on the rail are tailight, breaklight, dash lights, license plate light. They total around 41.2W when all on. I hope I didn't miss anything :P
Assuming nominal voltage of 12V that gives us about 3.43 A at max load.
If the maximum my little USB 5V supply can draw is 1.2 A we are way below the limit of 10A.

I am not gonna factor in the fact that when the bulbs are initially powered on they draw quite a bit more current than during normal operation due to the fact that we don't have a fast acting fuse. The regular fuse won't have enough time to heat up and blow.

If you have any questions just ask !

So once all this is fine and dandy measure your socket with a multimeter. Both with the key in the Ignition and OFF position. You should be seeing +12V when the key is in the Ignition position and 0V when in the Off position.

Put the whole thing back together and get riding !

Be safe !

I used a marine 12V socket. Cheapest thing I could find was <$10 incl. shipping.
ebay link for the socket I used, will probably get outdated:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Weatherproof-...item1c218f8e74

Last futzed with by quanttrom; March 5th, 2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added ebay link

Old March 6th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #16
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Thanks man! I'm definitely going to bookmark this

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #17
leed
ninjette.org sage

This is way off topic, but I never realized how close the Canadian Dollar and the US Dollar have gotten. But nice writeup!