Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old September 16th, 2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Aldent
ninjette.org member

Name: Zavier

Motorcycle(s): -

Single day/week insurance so I can title motorcycle

I might be buying my first bike very soon, and since I don't have my endorsement yet, and all places near me have stopped giving classes for the year, there is no point in buying a 12-month plan when I won't be riding until at least may of next year.

I just want a day/week/maybe month of insurance so I can get the title transferred to my name.

The cheapest insurance for me, in my area, Progressive, appears to only have 12-month plans either paid in full or on a month-by-month basis.
Aldent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #2
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
i have geico. $15.82 a month

Old September 16th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You don't need any insurance to transfer a title. You just need insurance to get the registration and license plate. At least this is true in all the states I'm familiar with. I transferred the title of a motorcycle to my name a couple years ago, but have never insured it or gotten a plate. Just make sure you get the previous owner's title and have him sign it, and in some states that has to be done in front of a notary.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Aldent
ninjette.org member

Name: Zavier

Motorcycle(s): -

... I think you are right. I misread the Secretary of State's website.

I thought all of the requirements listed were just for titling; not titling, registering, and plates. Well I feel dumb.
Aldent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldent View Post
... I think you are right. I misread the Secretary of State's website.

I thought all of the requirements listed were just for titling; not titling, registering, and plates. Well I feel dumb.
No reason to feel that way. I was just hoping to save you some money and effort.

Old September 17th, 2017, 01:48 AM   #6
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
15.82/30 days =.53 a day. that's pretty cheap. have you done a quote with geico?

Old September 17th, 2017, 08:29 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
While there should be no need for insurance for a title transfer, once the bike is legally yours... I would consider an insurance policy based on storage risks and theft chance. Riding it or nah, you should protect your investment as you see fit.

And gratz on your future bike!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2017, 04:36 AM   #8
dz0
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninjette 2006 FZ6

And if you did need the plate, order the insurance, then cancel it after you get home. You'll be out some cash while they take 6 months to process your refund or whatever ridiculous amount of time they take - but you can cancel a policy and get a refund.
dz0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz0 View Post
And if you did need the plate, order the insurance, then cancel it after you get home.
Do you mean get a license plate for the motorcycle, cancel the insurance, and keep the plate? In MD and NC where I've lived, you'll get in some trouble doing that.

Old September 20th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #10
dz0
ninjette.org member

That is exactly what I meant. You don't RIDE without insurance, but if for some reason you wanted to buy it (the plate) now which requires insurance - you can. But the primary point being if you had no vehicle insurance - you can get a policy, and then cancel it before the term is up and get a refund.

Old September 20th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #11
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Do you mean get a license plate for the motorcycle, cancel the insurance, and keep the plate? In MD and NC where I've lived, you'll get in some trouble doing that.
Quote:
That is exactly what I meant. You don't RIDE without insurance, but if for some reason you wanted to buy it (the plate) now which requires insurance - you can. But the primary point being if you had no vehicle insurance - you can get a policy, and then cancel it before the term is up and get a refund.
I do this all the time as I buy and sell about 10 vehicles per year. I insure it day before I transfer title and register. Fix them up, drive them for a while until I get bored, then sell for profit. Cancel insurance day after sale and get pro-rated refund. It's all automated on GEICO website and I don't have to deal with any annoying agents.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2017, 07:14 PM   #12
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Check with current insurance- sometimes you get automatic coverage for a purchased vehicle for 30 days or whatever, without doing anything. That lets you get it registered, home, and all that and you can actually insure it once you're ready to ride it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #13
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
i have geico. $15.82 a month
What kind of underinsured/uninsured coverage do you have? Do you just collision and liability?
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #14
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
What kind of underinsured/uninsured coverage do you have? Do you just collision and liability?

Old September 21st, 2017, 07:10 AM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
No argument about being able to cancel your insurance policy and get a partial refund, but in NC, if you have a license plate and don't return it before canceling your insurance, you'll get fined. You don't have to ride to get in trouble. I believe there are other states that have the same kind of rules.

From the NCDOT:

Quote:
Do not cancel your liability insurance coverage before you turn your plate in or you will incur a penalty.

North Carolina law requires you to have liability coverage in effect on your vehicle during the entire time it is registered and the license plate is in your possession.

If you plan on putting the vehicle in storage or do not plan to operate it for an extended period of time, you must surrender the license plate to your local license plate office before canceling your liability insurance coverage.

Cancelling your liability insurance before returning the license plate incurs a civil penalty for failure to maintain continuous insurance coverage.

Old September 21st, 2017, 07:18 AM   #16
dz0
ninjette.org member

Interesting. Never heard of that before. If you aren't on the road, (IMO) you shouldn't be in trouble for possession of a plate and not having insurance.
So if your vehicle breaks down and you suspend insurance while getting a long term repair carried out, you are illegal because you didn't also "turn-in" you plate? That's horrid.

Old September 21st, 2017, 07:58 AM   #17
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, old system. Inventory and registration figures are tied to physical plate. Count up up plates you have on-hand and compare to previous figures and you get probable number of unregistered vehicles.

There are some states with bar-codes on plate and camera on LEO vehicle automatically scans plates as they drive along and tells officer if vehicle is in compliance.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2017, 08:05 AM   #18
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
Here's a good thread on insurance you might be interested in - https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...ecommendations
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2017, 08:12 AM   #19
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
So if your vehicle breaks down and you suspend insurance while getting a long term repair carried out, you are illegal because you didn't also "turn-in" you plate? That's horrid.
Fortunately the DMV office near me usually has a short or no line, and handles things very quickly, so it's not hard to give them back the plate and get a new one later when you get insurance again.

And they keep tabs on things pretty strictly. When I bought the Ninjette I got insurance and registered it right away. The previous owner turned in his plate and canceled his insurance, so I got notified I was illegal. Apparently the computer saw the insurance cancellation and hadn't processed my new policy's information. I called my insurance agent and she typed some keys on her computer, and said it was taken care of. I thought it was impressive that she had the power to straighten out the DMV from her office computer.

Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:40 AM   #20
ck.mecha
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 1969 Benelli Cobra 125, 1970 Honda CB160, 2009 Kawasaki 250R

In Georgia, and probably most states, if your your vehicle is inoperable, youre out of the country for an extended time, or even used "seasonally" you can submit a form to the tag office and not get fined for canceling your insurance.

This was mean to cover things like farm equipment that is only used part of the year and for deployed military, but it applies to all registered vehicles.
ck.mecha is offline   Reply With Quote