ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 15th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Ninja 250 Vapor Trail Tech

Ok so the long awaited results... I am doing this because i could not find any updated info on the ninja 250 new gens anywhere when i wanted to install mine and had many questions. I thank @Chicagobob @Motofool @mike_k for there help

I did this because my Stock Oem Speedometer cluster was way to big and ugly for my streetfighter look im building....

After receiving this Vapor Trail Tech in the mail i waited for the weekend and installed it, It took like 2 hours figuring out everything. For future buyers of the Trail Tech Vapor, i write this for you. You will need the Vapor Trail Tech Vapor 75-600 (sv-650 kit) because of a tach resistor that it comes with. I bought mine for 92$ shipped from ebay. I might buy the idiot lights later on, but im happy with it as is, especially since im going to make it to a track bike once i move to a ZX6r. You must know your bike if you dont want to go the idiot light route because there are no neutral lights, high beam, turn signal, or gas gauge (just reset trip meter every time you fill up).

Tachometer: This was the easiest, All you have to do is remove the Black RPM wire and the Black/Yellow Ground (Power -) wire from the harness. Then you take your Tach wire from the vapor that has a resistor on the end of it and it will be black and red. You split them since they will be stuck together then strip the wire to where it is naked and wrap the Red vapor wire to the black (RPM) wire female connector on the ninja 250 harness. The you take the Black wire on the vapor trail tech and attach it to the Black/Yellow wire from the ninja 250 Harness and wrap it around the female connector. When you are done, either shrink tube it or tape it VERY GOOD.
If you buy Male connectors then it will make it cleaner and more reliable, FYI.

Speedometer: Assuming you got the same version as me, then you will receive a U-Shaped sensor that you are supposed to stick to the fork and let it pass by the magnet. I wasnt going to trust there tape, so i used a blade and cut the adhesive off that it came with and used used JB Weld to stick it on the fork. It is like cement! I dont think it will ever move Now for the magnet that it will be passing through, it gives you 2 of them. I used the screw magnet, took one of the rotor bolts out and replaced it with the screw magnet. It fit in the rotor bolts hole perfect. Beware though, the rotor screw has loctite on there and is a bitch to take out, you will need an air tool or a torque wrench. Make sure the magnet on the rotor bolt passes through the sensor, you will have to put the sensor on the fork were the magnet bolt will pass by.

Power: The vapor trail tech come with a wire that looks exactly like the tach wire but without the resistor. The red is the Positive obviously and the black is the Negative/Ground. All you have to do is split them like you split the tach wire into two only from the end, dont split both wires all the way. After that you will strip like an inch or smaller and run it through the side of the bike under the fairings and under the seat to the battery. Place a Lug on the end of both the positive and the negate to were they can fit through the battery screw and done. You now have Back light constantly. The Vapors run on battery when not plugged to the battery of the bike, but it is not recommended at all and you should do this to all the vapors and bikes.

Coolant Temperature: This is very very simple but i made it hard since i could not locate the screw sensor for the coolant on the bike. It will give you a wire attatchd to a chrome cylinder, go ahead and unscrew the sensor from the chrome cylinder that they say to put on the coolant tube. Now locate the coolant sensor that is already on the bike from the other gauge and remove it. It is right next to the coolant cap, looks like this. Its silver with a gold screw which is the sensor. Now once you take it out, this is when you want to put the sensor that you removed from the cylinder chrome piece from the vapor and screw it in the place of the bolt you just took out. It should fit perfect. It wont go all the way in though, its normal dont freak out. Now when testing it, you have to first reset the vapor on the back with a little red button and then it will start reading the temp.

Mounting it: You can either use the handle bar mounts they gave you or use your creative mind and fabricate something of your own with metal sheets or metal anything! There are some ideas out there if you search, here is mine below I took the bike without the Vapor on it and unplugged from everything since i wanted a better mount then the handle bar one, i wanted it in the center. So i went to my uncles shop (he's a mechanic) and he made this literally in like 5 min, it was amazing watching him go so fast. That would have took me like an hour to make haha Anyways, i painted it black and it worked out perfect. It does not wiggle or anything either!

Settings:
-Program wheel size:2109mm. I'm still testing this on a gps later, i will edit if wrong. (Seems accurate though)
-Pulses Per revolution: Set to 1.
-High Temp:I set it to 200F. (Your Preference)
-Over Temp: I set it to 210F.( Your Preference)
-RPM Warning: (Yellow Light) I set to 8,000.( Your Preference)
-RPM Danger (Red Light) I set to 12,800.( Your Preference)

Cool Features that i love about it that the other stock cluster didnt have: It gives you the Coolant Temp reading, Outdoor Temp, Clock Time, Stopwatch, Record High MPH ( i did mine in the picture below but i could have gone a little faster if i kept going, it was a test ride in the neighborhood), riding time, Shift lights, digital and bar RPMS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0274.jpg (80.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0288.jpg (82.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0289.jpg (71.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0292.jpg (18.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0293.jpg (18.7 KB, 146 views)

Last futzed with by skilletmo; April 16th, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
skilletmo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 16th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Excellent!!!

Maybe @Alex wants to make it a DIY.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/linked from DIY sticky

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Thanks, Alex !
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #5
mike_k
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 25 (track), '02 Honda 919, '04 Honda NSR-50 (track)

If you get a chance, could you post a pic of the speed sensor mounted to the fork? I'd like to see that.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Do you think a resistor would've made the eBay one work (or prevented it from getting damaged)? Any idea what ohm/specs?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Ill post updates tonight. Pictures and the resistor spec. But I know that if it came with a resistor it would have made it more accurate and possibly work. Thing is, it never came with a ground rpm wire only a signal. Im going to PM the buyer to see if he has tried it yet.

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #8
skilletmo
InfoWhore

It has a black color band/tape, it says " 25°C VW-1 (.040)". I believe it is a 600k ohm like they said.

I posted a picture of how it looks here, might be hard to read but i tried with my ****** phone lol

Old August 25th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #9
bitaria
ninjette.org member

Name: Oleg

Motorcycle(s): CRF450X, CRF250R/SM, Husky 630 SMS, Ninja 250R

This is what I was looking for. Thank you!
bitaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #10
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitaria View Post
This is what I was looking for. Thank you!

Old August 30th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #11
bitaria
ninjette.org member

Name: Oleg

Motorcycle(s): CRF450X, CRF250R/SM, Husky 630 SMS, Ninja 250R

Now that I started the install something looks strange... if you run the power wire to the battery that means Trail Tech is powered even when the key is turned off. Is that correct?
bitaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #12
skilletmo
InfoWhore

It's supposed to, it goes to sleep automatically like 15 min after the bike is off. The time will always show. The manual should explain that

Old August 30th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #13
Rheno911
ninjette.org member

Name: Rheno

Motorcycle(s): 2010 red ninja 250R

http://amzn.com/B003172CBO

is that the same kit but in black?
Rheno911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #14
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheno911 View Post
http://amzn.com/B003172CBO

is that the same kit but in black?
Not sure! I would think so, but you can call or email trail tech vapor.

Old August 31st, 2013, 04:13 AM   #15
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Small edit….

NEVER EVER EVER use a torque wrench to remove bolts!!!! Especially ones that are hard to get out. You will RUIN your torque wrench.

The correct procedure for bolts that have been installed with Loctite and are hard to remove is to heat the bolt with a torch first.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #16
Obje0110
ninjette.org member

Name: Emily

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja ex250

trail tech

so i did the whole set up just like you.

now my indicator lights (yellow and red) keep flashing the whole time.... HELP!!!!
Obje0110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 12:54 PM   #17
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obje0110 View Post
so i did the whole set up just like you.

now my indicator lights (yellow and red) keep flashing the whole time.... HELP!!!!
Did you ever get it fixed? Sorry i was away for a while! @Obje0110

Old January 12th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #18
tuscani451
ninjette.org member

Name: leif

Motorcycle(s): R6, Kawi 250

So the bike i bought came with one of these but it was not installed. I hope to start working on that this week but i have a initial question. The box says it a model number 752-200 and then states it is for Yamaha YZ/YZF/WR Models. Any thoughts on if I can make this wor? I habe not tried calling Vapor tech yet. Also about the battery drainage, if you use a quick disconnect and unplug in between track weekends is that going to cause any issues?
tuscani451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #19
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

That thing looks cool! Are there any laws against aftermarket speedos?
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #20
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

The Vapor won't drain the bike's battery, because it shuts itself down a few minutes after you stop riding, and has its own internal battery to maintain settings and memory.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #21
Tommcdaniel08
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

I just picked up a 2003 ninja 250 and this install was one of the first things I did. The walk through was very helpful! I have just one question... You say to set the high temp to 200ş and the over temp to 210ş. When I fired mine up and did some light riding around the neighborhood my temp reached about 225ş. Are the temperatures that you are using accurate meaning my bike is overheating? I noticed in your last picture your temperature is 212ş and neither the yellow or red warning lights have come on.
Tommcdaniel08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #22
Obi-Ron Kenobi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ron

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja ex250

Could I please get some pics of the tach and how you wired it please?
Really dig your build. Here's mine: http://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9265
Thanks.
Obi-Ron Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #23
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Ron Kenobi View Post
Could I please get some pics of the tach and how you wired it please?
Really dig your build. Here's mine: http://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9265
Thanks.
Cant see the pics on your thread since im not a member!
You are needing pics of how i attached the Tachometer wires? Or when you say tach do you mean the whole Vapor Trail Tech speedometer together.

Here is the instruction on it, its very easy and if you dont understand it then let me know so i can explain it:

Quote:
Tachometer: This was the easiest, All you have to do is remove the Black RPM wire and the Black/Yellow Ground (Power -) wire from the harness. Then you take your Tach wire from the vapor that has a resistor on the end of it and it will be black and red. You split them since they will be stuck together then strip the wire to where it is naked and wrap the Red vapor wire to the black (RPM) wire female connector on the ninja 250 harness. The you take the Black wire on the vapor trail tech and attach it to the Black/Yellow wire from the ninja 250 Harness and wrap it around the female connector. When you are done, either shrink tube it or tape it VERY GOOD.

Old September 21st, 2014, 03:55 AM   #24
Obi-Ron Kenobi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ron

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja ex250

Tach question

I would like to see where your tach wires are connected? Are they at one of the coils or somewhere else? Are you using some type of resister?
Thanks.
Obi-Ron Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2014, 09:00 PM   #25
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Its is all wrapped up and would be really annoying to take it out. Let me try to explain and then if you don't get it ill see what i can do to show you.

When you take the stock speedometer off the bike, you have to disconnect the harness correct? so when you did that, what was left of it was the plastic connector (that has all the wires coming from the bike called the harness) that was attached to the stock speedometer wire. All the wires that are connected to that plastic connector are color coded. So the RPMs (which is tachometer) has 2 wires for it. These 2 wires are colored straight Black and the other is a mixed color of Black/ Yellow. You're going to take those 2 wires and pop them out of that plastic connector so you can proceed with my instructions:

Quote:
Tachometer: This was the easiest, All you have to do is remove the Black RPM wire and the Black/Yellow Ground (Power -) wire from the harness(plastic connector that was attached to the stock speedometer). Then you take your Tach wire from the vapor that has a resistor on the end of it and it will be black and red. You split them since they will be stuck together then strip the wire to where it is naked and wrap the Red vapor wire to the black (RPM) wire female connector on the ninja 250 harness. The you take the Black wire on the vapor trail tech and attach it to the Black/Yellow wire from the ninja 250 Harness and wrap it around the female connector. When you are done, either shrink tube it or tape it VERY GOOD.
If you bought the correct TrailTech vapor that are compatible with the ninja 250 then it should have the resistor inside (very small piece that's wrapped in the wires, you don't have to attach it or anything its already in there) the Tachometer wires already so you can just plug the tachometer wires from the bike to the Tachometer wires from the Trail Tech.

read this part which was the very beginning of my post:

Quote:
After receiving this Vapor Trail Tech in the mail i waited for the weekend and installed it, It took like 2 hours figuring out everything. For future buyers of the Trail Tech Vapor, i write this for you. You will need the Vapor Trail Tech Vapor 75-600 (sv-650 kit) because of a tach resistor that it comes with. I bought mine for 92$ shipped from ebay. I might buy the idiot lights later on, but im happy with it as is, especially since im going to make it to a track bike once i move to a ZX6r. You must know your bike if you dont want to go the idiot light route because there are no neutral lights, high beam, turn signal, or gas gauge (just reset trip meter every time you fill up).

Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:35 AM   #26
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Thinking of getting this for a winter upgrade to the race bike, did the 75-600 come as a kit with everything you needed?
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:04 AM   #27
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Name: Artie

Motorcycle(s): Stuff

I'm doing this, this winter as well. I spoke to Zach from Trail Tech and he told me you do not NEED the wire with the resistor. Just a heads up!

Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:27 AM   #28
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Hmm, conflicting reports then. I would imagine the resistor/non resistor would change the tach reading???
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM   #29
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Well, only reason I state this, is because I bought a universal kit w/o the resistor. I asked him if he could send me a tach wire with one, and he told me I didn't need it. So just throwing it out there. It'd probably be easier to just get one with the resistor, for peace of mind.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 01:21 PM   #30
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

For our '06 Ninja 250 project, we found that the tach was very jumpy and almost useless without a resistor in the line, but performed perfectly with the resistor Trail Tech recommended. See our previous posts about the bike for the details.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #31
skilletmo
InfoWhore

As requested by @BlownWideOpen, i posted these three pics. The first one shows how i wired it through the fork, then the second one shows where i attached it, which is right by the disk one the fork at the bottom. The third one is there just to show at which angle of the tire i attached it on, so in this case it was the front left side of the fork from a riding position. You can put it however you like as long as it is close enough to the magnets on the disk to where it will pick the signal up.

If you press the middle picture you will see how close it is to the allen head on the disk, which is where i put the magnet. Technically right infront of it for the most accurate reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0657.jpg (57.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0658_1.jpg (42.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0659_1.jpg (47.1 KB, 55 views)

Old October 27th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #32
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Thanks again @skilletmo

Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:26 AM   #33
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I am looking to do this over the winter. posting for future reference.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:50 AM   #34
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
yeah, I am thinking of using one of these on my rz350 project. Seems like it will fit the bill quite nicely

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #35
SRoehr
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletmo View Post
Ok so the long awaited results... I am doing this because i could not find any updated info on the ninja 250 new gens anywhere when i wanted to install mine and had many questions. I thank @Chicagobob @Motofool @mike_k for there help

I did this because my Stock Oem Speedometer cluster was way to big and ugly for my streetfighter look im building....

Speedometer: Assuming you got the same version as me, then you will receive a U-Shaped sensor that you are supposed to stick to the fork and let it pass by the magnet. I wasnt going to trust there tape, so i used a blade and cut the adhesive off that it came with and used used JB Weld to stick it on the fork. It is like cement! I dont think it will ever move Now for the magnet that it will be passing through, it gives you 2 of them. I used the screw magnet, took one of the rotor bolts out and replaced it with the screw magnet. It fit in the rotor bolts hole perfect. Beware though, the rotor screw has loctite on there and is a bitch to take out, you will need an air tool or a torque wrench. Make sure the magnet on the rotor bolt passes through the sensor, you will have to put the sensor on the fork were the magnet bolt will pass by.

Power: The vapor trail tech come with a wire that looks exactly like the tach wire but without the resistor. The red is the Positive obviously and the black is the Negative/Ground. All you have to do is split them like you split the tach wire into two only from the end, dont split both wires all the way. After that you will strip like an inch or smaller and run it through the side of the bike under the fairings and under the seat to the battery. Place a Lug on the end of both the positive and the negate to were they can fit through the battery screw and done. You now have Back light constantly. The Vapors run on battery when not plugged to the battery of the bike, but it is not recommended at all and you should do this to all the vapors and bikes.

Coolant Temperature: This is very very simple but i made it hard since i could not locate the screw sensor for the coolant on the bike. It will give you a wire attatchd to a chrome cylinder, go ahead and unscrew the sensor from the chrome cylinder that they say to put on the coolant tube. Now locate the coolant sensor that is already on the bike from the other gauge and remove it. It is right next to the coolant cap, looks like this. Its silver with a gold screw which is the sensor. Now once you take it out, this is when you want to put the sensor that you removed from the cylinder chrome piece from the vapor and screw it in the place of the bolt you just took out. It should fit perfect. It wont go all the way in though, its normal dont freak out. Now when testing it, you have to first reset the vapor on the back with a little red button and then it will start reading the temp.

Mounting it: You can either use the handle bar mounts they gave you or use your creative mind and fabricate something of your own with metal sheets or metal anything! There are some ideas out there if you search, here is mine below I took the bike without the Vapor on it and unplugged from everything since i wanted a better mount then the handle bar one, i wanted it in the center. So i went to my uncles shop (he's a mechanic) and he made this literally in like 5 min, it was amazing watching him go so fast. That would have took me like an hour to make haha Anyways, i painted it black and it worked out perfect. It does not wiggle or anything either!

Settings:
-Program wheel size:2109mm. I'm still testing this on a gps later, i will edit if wrong. (Seems accurate though)
-Pulses Per revolution: Set to 1.
-High Temp:I set it to 200F. (Your Preference)
-Over Temp: I set it to 210F.( Your Preference)
-RPM Warning: (Yellow Light) I set to 8,000.( Your Preference)
-RPM Danger (Red Light) I set to 12,800.( Your Preference)

Cool Features that i love about it that the other stock cluster didnt have: It gives you the Coolant Temp reading, Outdoor Temp, Clock Time, Stopwatch, Record High MPH ( i did mine in the picture below but i could have gone a little faster if i kept going, it was a test ride in the neighborhood), riding time, Shift lights, digital and bar RPMS.
this is exactly what I was looking for! just ordered the 752-600 unit! reallay appreciate the detailed step-by-step directions!
SRoehr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2017, 04:10 PM   #36
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Wow, have not been here for a while but just got an email notification. Good luck my man! I know I loved the 4 years I had my ninjette!